DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro collision avoidance?

Reactions
I have my all settings relating to my Mavic Pro's collision avoidance enabled but the Mavic will not stop when directed toward an obstacle.

The forward sensors detect the object, give accurate range and beep when within a certain distance, but will not stop me from proceeding. I did a side by side with my friend's Mavic Pro 2 and the Pro 2 would stop. Am I missing something?

This makes me doubt whether the Mavic pro will rise above obstacles in RTH as is described in the manual.

I can read the literature, but how does the obstacle avoidance work in practice?

Thanks!

Thanks, but I don't understand your reply.

Do you mean to say that the MP is not supposed to stop when an obstacle is detected?

Will it rise above obstacles in RTH? I use Drone Deploy as well. Will it rise above obstacles in RTH with Drone Deply?

From the Mavic Pro manual - page 16.
Download Mavic Pro manual HERE
Obstacle Avoidance During RTH Aircraft can now sense and actively attempt to avoid obstacle during FailSafe RTH, provided that the light condition is ideal for the Forward Vision System. The details on how the aircraft will behave during obstacle avoid is listed below: 1. Aircraft decelerates when an obstacle is sensed at 65 feet (20 meters) ahead. 2. Aircraft stops and hover then start ascending vertically to avoid the obstacle. Eventually, the aircraft will stop climbing when it is at least 16 feet (5 meters) above the detected obstacle. 3. Failsafe RTH procedure resume, the aircraft will continue flying to the Home Point at the current altitude.

My MP will stop forward motion when the forward OA sensors encounter an obstacle. I can push the right stick all the way forward, and the bird will just sit there. With that said, however, it is doubtful that things like small twigs, power lines, etc. will be detected. Also, even if the obstacle is detected, the bird may not have adequate distance to stop if it is a higher speed.

Thanks Klaaz and Zonian! That contradicts those that are saying the Mavic Pro has "different programming".

So, for some reason, my Mavic Pro will not stop, even for a wall. Any ideas as to how I can get that feature to work?

MP1 will (should) certainly stop if it detects an obstacle.
It won’t detect sparse twig like branches devoid of reasonably dense foliage, nor powerlines and the like.
On the other side of that to watch, it will usually recognise the sun as an obstacle if flying towards it.
You can then crab your way sideways or just alter direction as needed to proceed to wherever desired or home . . . Or run sports mode, where OA is turned off.
With a bit of testing, you can get a feel for how much tree foliage works with OA, but to be honest you’re probably just better off not really relying on it in normal flying circumstances.
RTH, provided a manual or auto RTH is not into the sun you only have to have the height set right for anything likely to be encountered (as well as considering wind speed effects at higher alt).
So many things to consider in all the inbuilt tech and other influences.
If your M1P isn’t picking up obstacles, they (edit - the sensors) might need calibrating, or could possibly have stopped functioning correctly for some reason.
Hard to diagnose but there are likely threads about checking through that on the forum here somewhere (search function may help).
All the best with checking that out.

MP1 will (should) certainly stop if it detects an obstacle.
It won’t detect sparse twig like branches devoid of reasonably dense foliage, nor powerlines and the like.
On the other side of that to watch, it will usually recognise the sun as an obstacle if flying towards it.
You can then crab your way sideways or just alter direction as needed to proceed to wherever desired or home . . . Or run sports mode, where OA is turned off.
With a bit of testing, you can get a feel for how much tree foliage works with OA, but to be honest you’re probably just better off not really relying on it in normal flying circumstances.
RTH, provided a manual or auto RTH is not into the sun you only have to have the height set right for anything likely to be encountered (as well as considering wind speed effects at higher alt).
So many things to consider in all the inbuilt tech and other influences.
If your M1P isn’t picking up obstacles, they (edit - the sensors) might need calibrating, or could possibly have stopped functioning correctly for some reason.
Hard to diagnose but there are likely threads about checking through that on the forum here somewhere (search function may help).
All the best with checking that out.
Thanks!

The sun info is new to me and you have confirmed what I have learned about the obstacle avoidance.

I've rebuilt and serviced the Mavic enough to understand what would make the forward sensors work, not work or need calibration.

They do accurately detect obstacles and emit a warning when appropriate. The problem is that the drone will not stop when it should upon detection of a close obstacle.

If not a malfunction, I'm wondering if there is something I need to actuate in the app. I have everything turned on in terms of obstacle avoidance as far as I can tell.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I'm pretty sure that you have a malfunction.

Seems like it, could possibly be something on the main board that isn't right, rather than sensors.
Very hard to diagnose apart form replace plug and play items until it's fixed.
DJI themselves at (what I think is) usually a fair and reasonable cost, or some other repair / service place.

Thanks!

I'm wondering if there is something I need to actuate in the app. I have everything turned on in terms of obstacle avoidance as far as I can tell.

No problems, always happy to help with things if possible.

If you know the app well and where OA in the menu can be turned off etc, then I am pretty sure that's about it.
Apart from sports mode deactivating it, the M1P is pretty simple in that way.

I guess if the problem can't be worked out, and you really want OA for particular times, then it's worth getting it checked out.
Perhaps a repair place with boards, sensors, etc laying round they can plug / test is the only way to really get the problem found / fixed.

I do think OA is good to have on most times . . . it has saved me once, using goggles and with lanyard on controller with mini4, it got caught up while fiddling with settings, and was going (I assume) flat out towards a big gum tree (thankfully with plenty of leaves !!).
Eventually going back to the screen view, there's this big mass of green and taking my goggles of saw I was parked up a couple of feet from this huge amount of foliage.
Looked at controller and lanyard is fouled up around my sticks, lucky escape that one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka