DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Controller antennas and function

iowahill

Reactions
I'm going deeper into trying to understand the M1P controller, particularly the antennas. I haven't found a link or forum yet that discusses the function of each of the two antennas but that doesn't prevent me from hazarding an intuitive guess:

The video, telemetry, and control are all in the 2.4GB range (for the M1P's) and one of the antennas is transmit bird control and the other is combined video and telemetry receive.

If I am incorrect please point me to a valid source that covers these functions in more depth.

So later today I'm going to try binding the bird to my controller and iPad, launch the Go4 ap, ensure that I have video and telemetry feed and ability to launch, then try disconnecting each antenna to see what does or doesn't happen. My guess is that there might be enough RF when close but not as I move away from the home point.

I should point out that I have moded my controller with the Itelite Nanosync kit so that I have SMA connectors externally mounted on the controller, so disconnecting one antenna at a time is easy.

If there is a link on our forums, or some other source of informative content please let me know. Meanwhile I'll follow up with what I discover.

Last edited:
I am interested is seeing what you find out also.
I think that you are correct and will find out one of the antennas does almost nothing.

You can unplug right ant. you will not notice a difference, unplug left you'll lose reception.

I guess it suppose to help reception but I really don't notice it unpluged.

They talk more about it in ant. mod. discussion.

That's on mavic pro1 not sure about the 2.

You can unplug right ant. you will not notice a difference, unplug left you'll lose reception.

Your reply suggests one of two possibilities... Left antenna is video and telemetry receive, right antenna is transmit out for control? Or the controller is a diversity receiver, though unlikely. Still looking for the definitive answer(s)

Beanbubba look to him for your answers, he does alot of testing.

This is a video about how to mod the Mavic Pro RC controller to take different antenna's. At 7:14 you can see that both standard antenna's do appear to be attached to the main PC Board in the controller using micro-co-ax connectors.

Reactions: Theo111103
This is a video about how to mod the Mavic Pro RC controller to take different antenna's. At 7:14 you can see that both standard antenna's do appear to be attached to the main PC Board in the controller using micro-co-ax connectors.

Thanks for the reply but I believe I've watched and read about all of the current controller mod how-to's. That's kind of what got me started on this thread, and exploring the inner workings of the controller antenna functions. Regards.

Thanks for the reply but I believe I've watched and read about all of the current controller mod how-to's. That's kind of what got me started on this thread, and exploring the inner workings of the controller antenna functions. Regards.
Will be interesting to see what you find out ... This and other forums have put different ideas out ranging from one antenna does nothing at all, through 'one transmits and one receives', 'one does the control and the other video' - to 'both antenna transmit and receive' ... So the Jury is definitely out on this one ...

Jury is not out, check me unplug right side no effect.

Jury is not out, check me unplug right side no effect.

I sent an email to James Crutchfield at Titan Drones regarding the antennas on the Mavic Pro and the MP2. Here is his reply, less than 12 hours after I sent it yesterday afternoon!

"
The left antenna, if hooked to the “left” connector on the main board, transmits and receives data and video. The right antenna acts a type of diversity antenna for receiving video if it has a stronger connection to the AC. I have been able to use just one amp on the Mavic Pro and get the same results as two amps as long as the amp is used on the correct antenna. This is also the case for several other dji aircraft. With that being said the Mavic 2 appears to use both antennas for rx and tx and I’m still going through testing on that. It appears though the Mavic 2 has to utilize two amps to be effective if you use an amped system. More to come on that later.
Titan Drones Inc Customer Service P: 1-866-202-5624 E: [email protected]

So that settles the question (at least for the MP1) about the second antenna (on the right). It's a "diversity system" for video reception where stronger signal is detected on one antenna than the other. James and Titan are tops in my book!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou sheppard
But notice one amp. Only necessary. Same results

You've always got to remember that running a transmitter into ' No ' Aerial ( or faulty aerial ) could destroy the output stage of the transmitter or some of the associated components.
The longer you run it, the greater the risk.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11