DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro controller issues

What's the recent history of it ?

Always been ok to 100% ?
Been sitting around for a long while (like a year) without use ?

Tried charging from the DJI charger usb port / micro usb, and also from a separate 2a power source ?
Tried charging with it stitched off and also with it turned on ?

Maybe even try flying with it and see if that helps when charging again later.
54% controller charge should fly out a couple of batteries to 20-25% in the M1P.

Hopefully it's just a little readout or such hiccup from lack of use, and it might come good trying a few different things.
Lipo battery though, and just like drone batteries it can eventually fail.

They can be replaced I think, but a fiddly job, probably better to look for another 2nd hand one and hope it's ok.
Maybe check with a DJI repairer if the batteries are even still available, or a controller.

DroneMRO in South Melbourne seem to have been around a fair while, fixed me up with a repair once and did a great job. Might have something there if needed, or do a battery check / replacement.

I recently took delivery of a used Mavic Pro that arrived on a slow boat from China, over a period of 5 months. I was amazed that the flight batteries were still able to take a charge and fly the drone, but that controller battery took three freaking DAYS of continuous charge to finally reach 100%.

The long period of inactivity clearly took a toll on the controller battery but despite that very long period of dormancy, it still charges back up to 100% over about 3 hours, starting from 90%. For a while there I thought the controller battery was a writeoff. but remarkably it seems to be just fine despite that ordeal at sea.

Has anyone had issues with their mavic pro controller not charging to capacity? Been on charge overnight and is only on 54% ??
If after every other suggestion it still doesn't charge to 100% here is the cheapest fix.

Attachments

• IMG_20201030_110004.jpg
    IMG_20201030_110004.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
Are there aftermarket controller battery for sale? Has anyone taken apart a controller and replaced the battery.

Reactions: Mavic2zoomAptos
The controller battery is replaceable if you don’t mind opening the controller up and have nimble fingers and a pair of brave pants:

Great minds think alike SkyHigh. I located and downloaded the above video literally moments before you posted it here.
Now I have to ponder whether my clumsy hands are up to the task of handling this job without ruining my $300 controller ha ha. When I eventually decide this radical step is inevitable, I'll only write here with an update IF I don't botch it. If I do mess it up, Omerta will be observed to protect the innocent.

Good luck when you do. The only delicate bit will be the flexible PCB connector.

It’s a LiPo battery but the low current draw doesn’t create the same swelling issues as seen in some of the aircraft batteries. Strange that DJI mention nothing about not leaving it fully charged. I usually leave mine on at home after a flat to drop it to around 50%. More than enough for a couple of flights at short notice or charge the day before a good weather day.

I'm glad you mentioned that a 50% charge on the controller's battery is the preferable level at which to store the controller if it's not going to be used for a while.

For some reason, I wrongly assumed that the controller's battery charge level needed to be kept close to a full charge, even though I am aware that the regular flight batteries should be allowed to self-discharge to around 50% if they're left for extended periods of time.

My controller battery is sitting at 99% right now and since the weather is fine I'm going to send my drone out for a nice long Litchi autonomous mission, so as to bring the controller's battery charge level down a little bit. I'm grateful for this reminder.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu