DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC PRO & DJI Racing Goggles- ANTENNA TO USE??

Lasdoug

Reactions
Can somebody set me straight on (to use or not to use the supplied pagoda antenna with the Racing Goggles when flying the Mavic Pro?
I have heard numerous conflicting answers regarding this, please help if you can!!

Reactions: brett8883
Can somebody set me straight on (to use or not to use the supplied pagoda antenna with the Racing Goggles when flying the Mavic Pro?
I have heard numerous conflicting answers regarding this, please help if you can!!
Try it both ways and see which one is better. If in doubt use it. You are right there have been conflicting reports due to DJI changing how they answer this question but of the first person real world accounts it appears based on a small sample size that there is more success with it than without. Please report your findings to us so we can grow the sample size and better help the next person who asks

If it's the mp1 no need for the antenna as it only uses the 2.4ghz frequency hope this helps. I have both mp1 and mz2 safe flying

I just got a pair of the RE goggles, and I can report that the antenna makes a big difference for me. Without it the range is very limited. With it, it goes as far as I’d ever need.

According to the sales page for this antenna on the DJI site,

"The Pagoda Antenna (SMA interface) is a 5.8 GHz Left Hand Circular Polarized (LHCP) omnidirectional antenna, which can be connected to Goggles RE's SMA interface to obtain better signal reception by working with the built-in antennas.

Note:
1. When using DJI Goggles RE with a DJI aircraft with a working frequency of 2.4 GHz, the Pagoda Antenna is not necessary."

The M2P is 2.4 so according to DJI, you would not see any difference using the antenna.

The mp2 can work in 2.4ghz 5.8ghz or Dual band. HD settings happy flying

"The Pagoda Antenna (SMA interface) is a 5.8 GHz Left Hand Circular Polarized (LHCP) omnidirectional antenna, which can be connected to Goggles RE's SMA interface to obtain better signal reception by working with the built-in antennas.

Note:
1. When using DJI Goggles RE with a DJI aircraft with a working frequency of 2.4 GHz, the Pagoda Antenna is not necessary."

The M2P is 2.4 so according to DJI, you would not see any difference using the antenna.

Note:

I think DJI missed the target on this one. After a month of working weekends and much rain in western PA, I was finally able to test fly yesterday. I have two test areas my backyard a clearing surrounded by trees and a large amount of woods. My other test area is a rail road track in a wooded valley. It goes 3000 feet before the first turn.

I got the Mavic Pro 2 and RE goggles package deal. Right out of the boxes, the MP2 did great. The goggles, not so much. At my wooded back yard, I was 75 meters before loss of signal and 180 meters at the open test track. A short time later the latest goggles update came out. Downloaded that and... no friggin change.

During this past month reading posts and a little thinking, I downloaded the update again right over the pervious update and installed the kit pagoda antenna. At the backyard thru lots of trees and flying over the woods I got 900 meters before the signal started to break up. Shut the goggles off and the MP2 was good.
At my wide open test track I got 1600 meters (1 mile). Don’t know if I could have gone further because 1 mile out is more than enough for me anyway.

Just for curiosity sake i took the pagoda off and now got 220 meters at the test track and 100 meters at the backyard. Put the antenna back on, 1600 meters at the track and again 900 meters thru the woods.

There’s a sneak path somewhere that’s using the pagoda, no idea if it’s hardware or software or both.

No you don't need it. Whether you're on 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz, you're using a digital signal (Occusync). The pagoda is for analog video transmitters in the 5.650Ghz - 5.925GHz range. In addition to that, maximum transmission is achieved on the 2.4 GHz frequency.

There are several threads and comments on this topic but people claiming to achieve "x" distance using the pagoda vs not using it never post a video showing their experiment results.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123