DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro found

ninja_geezer

Reactions
Son found this in a very remote part of scotland ,puffin cove i think he said it was ,and i think its a bit beyond repair !!!
washed up on the beach.
IMG-20220406-WA0001.jpgIMG-20220406-WA0000.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
You should open it, just for fun, and have a look at the devastation inside.
If i had found it i would have ,im guessing my lad just left it not sure tbh.
you can see the plastic have been rubbed up and down the sand and worn grooves in it.

If i had found it i would have ,im guessing my lad just left it not sure tbh.
you can see the plastic have been rubbed up and down the sand and worn grooves in it.
It's much worse than that, lol, note the absence of the motors coupled with possible a residue of the original motor mounts left around the steel? screws.
I am pretty sure electrolytic cells are formed between the differing metals when these drones are immersed in salt water and the light metals are 'attacked'.

i wonder if it is anyone on here

OOOOOOh it just occurred to me, if he is still there suggest he dig the mSD card out.,Who knows with a bit of a scrub it might still be playable.
Oh I dunno... as corrosive as salt is, and it looks like that poor Pro has been in the drink for quite a while, probably not much left of the SD card contacts?

Reactions: ninja_geezer
The contacts are, I think, gold plated.
They may be tarnished by nearby corrosion from lesser metals but gold is largerly uncorrodable. I dropped a phone in the sea, admittedly it was only there for a week, but when I recovered it the card was fine after a scrub. I think I still use the card, the phone was toast.

It's much worse than that, lol, note the absence of the motors coupled with possible a residue of the original motor mounts left around the steel? screws.
I am pretty sure electrolytic cells are formed between the differing metals when these drones are immersed in salt water and the light metals are 'attacked'.
The lack of the motors, plus the arms being removed and at least 2 of the screws missing makes it seem like someone else found it before your lad and opened it, took what they wanted then just tossed it.
Sad.

While possible, who carries the screwdrivers to scavenge a drone on site or would carry a drone to such a remote place to dump it? Putting the remains of a donor drone in the bin would be easer.
Why remove the motors? It is probably easier to swap an arm and its motor than it is to replace individual motors, why dump viable looking arms?

While possible, who carries the screwdrivers to scavenge a drone on site or would carry a drone to such a remote place to dump it? Putting the remains of a donor drone in the bin would be easer.
Why remove the motors? It is probably easier to swap an arm and its motor than it is to replace individual motors, why dump viable looking arms?

Hard to imagine motors would come off in a crash like that, very unlikely.
Also as unlikely anyone finding this would remove the motors, especially if they'd been immersed in salt water.
I mean why bother ?
The motors come with the arms on the M1P (and likely other later models).

Also as unlikely anyone finding this would remove the motors, especially if they'd been immersed in salt water.
I mean why bother ?
The motors come with the arms on the M1P (and likely other later models).
Whoever it was probably found it, took it home, scavenged it, then just tossed it where the lad found it.

Whoever it was probably found it, took it home, scavenged it, then just tossed it where the lad found it.
If I have the correct Puffin Cove, it's 800m plus to the nearest road on the North Coast of Scotland, I think such canabalised remnants would go in the bin rather than be carried to there and dumped.

I am not suggesting the motors came off in the crash, I am suggesting corrosion ate through the motor mountings and fatigue etc. broke the wiring at the solder points and detached the motors etc.
You'd be surprised at what a week in the sea can do to a drone let alone possible months or maybe years.

I am not suggesting the motors came off in the crash, I am suggesting corrosion ate through the motor mountings and fatigue etc. broke the wiring at the solder points and detached the motors etc.
You'd be surprised at what a week in the sea can do to a drone let alone possible months or maybe years.

Very likely, it might have been in that environment for many years.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60