DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro gets only 5 or 6 GPS satellites connecting; Near Vancouver BC

Pointbob

Reactions
Hi.. I was wondering if you can help me out at all. When you fly your mavic how many satellites do you usually connect to (shows on the dji app)...I rarely get more then 5 or 6. Is this what you get when flying in the Vancouver BC area....pacific north west.

Is this going to be a problem?> I see a lot of folks getting +12 satellites...I'm worried it's my mavic because it's new....could it be a defect? do i need to have the gps location on with my phone as well?

thanks

the first thing you need to do is download a gps utility app to your phone. see how many satellites are visible and how many your phone connects too. i usually have about 20 visible and connect to 12 to 16.

the first thing you need to do is download a gps utility app to your phone. see how many satellites are visible and how many your phone connects too. i usually have about 20 visible and connect to 12 to 16.
ok...will do..

It's probably defective, because I've never seen such a low number, but you can check with UAV forecast. It'll tell you the satellites in your area.

the gps utility i just downloaded showed this...hmmm....not promising...18 visible on phone..connected to 9.

Attachments

• IMG_20180415_174549.jpg
    IMG_20180415_174549.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
area on UAV says 12 sats...

3e7KVgV.jpg

how can the gps "work" but be defective..wouldn't it simply not work at all? would changing firmware or dji app make a diff?

UAV Forecast will give you an estimate of the number of satellites you can get.

How long are you waiting for the drone to find the satellites? It can take a while.

i live kinda close in the okanagan bc and i see 17-19 some days, never less than10 though, i have a garmin gps and it shows about 10 when the mav shows more, i think the garmin only locks on to the ones it needs so it doesnt show all of them and doesnt show the weak ones. were u flying on a very overcast day

First off no matter where you are on earth you should get a minimum of six but your Mavic uses US GPS as well as GLONASS so this number doubles so minimum number should be 10 to 12 and average of 16 to 20 but only needs and uses the best 4 for a 3D fix.
If your Mavic is only seeing 5 to 10 sats then it is faulty and only one of the duel frequency is working. It's only receiving GPS or only receiving GLONASS but not both.
Also best App to check sats on Android is GPS Test. It shows GPS+GLONASS
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada