DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro - Gimbal motor overload even after changing ribbon and gimbal arm

kaizenie

Reactions
Hi great folks,
I got the common "gimbal motor overload problem" (as so many others) on my Mavic Pro (v1). What happened is that I had a hard landing on sand. Everything else seems to work fine though, the drone flies but the gimbal doesn't work. I tried repairing it by changing the ribbon and changing the whole arm, but the same problem remains. Tried calibrating the gimbal but it stops at 5%. When it starts up, it only moves the gimbal left & right and not up & down and then I get the error.
What else could I try repairing and what do you think it could be since it's moving left & right but not up and down? When I try to move it with my hand, it seems like there is no obstacle. Could it be the sensor board that the gimbal arm is attached to that needs replacement, some other cable? Would appreciate if anyone with experience could shed some light!

Video of it starting up:

The gimbal motor

There are 2 motors a yaw and pitch

the yaw works so try swapping the pitch motor out

Not an easy fix as you have to disassemble the whole gimbal and camera. (tedious work) prob 2 hrs of work if your first time and an hr if you've done it a few times

The gimbal motor

There are 2 motors a yaw and pitch

the yaw works so try swapping the pitch motor out

Not an easy fix as you have to disassemble the whole gimbal and camera. (tedious work) prob 2 hrs of work if your first time and an hr if you've done it a few times

Thanks for your reply! I replaced it already with this part, but the problem remains:

interesting try downgrading the firmware sometimes that works...if not assuming all the connections are installed correctly it's possibly a hardware issue. maybe the part from ebay is defective

Reactions: Slade
Hi great folks,
I got the common "gimbal motor overload problem" (as so many others) on my Mavic Pro (v1). What happened is that I had a hard landing on sand. Everything else seems to work fine though, the drone flies but the gimbal doesn't work. I tried repairing it by changing the ribbon and changing the whole arm, but the same problem remains. Tried calibrating the gimbal but it stops at 5%. When it starts up, it only moves the gimbal left & right and not up & down and then I get the error.
What else could I try repairing and what do you think it could be since it's moving left & right but not up and down? When I try to move it with my hand, it seems like there is no obstacle. Could it be the sensor board that the gimbal arm is attached to that needs replacement, some other cable? Would appreciate if anyone with experience could shed some light!

Video of it starting up:
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the problems. Can you tell us more about the arm replacement? Did it contain motors as well as cable? Did you just use your camera from the old arm and reassemble only to have the same problem?

interesting try downgrading the firmware sometimes that works...if not assuming all the connections are installed correctly it's possibly a hardware issue. maybe the part from ebay is defective

Thank you so much! Yes it contained both motors and cables. I just used my camera from the old arm and have the same issue as I had before doing the procedure. Prior to changing the whole arm that came with a new ribbon, I tried changing only the ribbon itself.

Thank you so much! Yes it contained both motors and cables. I just used my camera from the old arm and have the same issue as I had before doing the procedure. Prior to changing the whole arm that came with a new ribbon, I tried changing only the ribbon itself.
Although am not a drone expert, I seems to me that your problem lies elsewhere. You appear to have changed things 1 at a time and keep having the same result shows that what you changed was not the problem. I'm sure there are several things left to consider such as control board and switches (both possibilities ae a guess on my part). Hopefully some knowledgeable person will chime in or you may need to send it to a repair shop.

I would really appreciate if I could get some other suggestions on this
I would just replace the whole gimbal assembly at this point (easy install) If you send in to a repair shop the amount of labor and parts will far exceed the cost of a new gimbal. Prob not the ans your looking for but I would retire the old gimbal

I have a similar problem. I replaced the whole Gimbal (only reused the camera) but on start up I get the overload error message. After startup the gimbal works as designed, even calibrates! Any suggestions?

I would really appreciate if I could get some other suggestions on this
It seems there is a software glitch in the newest firmware that sees an error when there is none. Turn on the drone BEFORE you turn on the RC and then see if your gimbal works/responds to the controller.

Hi, I am having a similar issue. Tried 2 different ribbon cables, camera works but gimbal is still showing motor overload. I really need to fix it. Did you ever find a solution?

I would rather not have to buy the arm structure, but I will if anyone can confirm that to be a fix.

Thanks a lot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143