DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro grainy video quality

Kikz

Reactions
Hello everyone,i'm new to the forum,i wonder why if it's just me who find the image quality of MP grainy,i came from dji spark and i so love the image quality of that little bad boy,i sold the spark after 3 months of owning it and bought a slightly used MP with only 55 mins of flight and i was a bit disappointed with it's image quality esp in low light,i am using D-Cinelike +1 -1 - 1 settings,i tried both 2.7k and 1080p,i sometimes shoot in auto but mostly manual,it does'nt matter coz the videos i got so far is very similar,grainy and over sharpened,is this normal with mavic pro?

I think it's pretty normal, what you're describing sounds a bit worse than what I find but it just comes down to the encoding of the video which isn't handled very well on the Mavic Pro (1) you look at a camera like the one on the Osmo Pocket and it's much better yet pretty much exactly the same camera sensor and all.

Hello everyone,i'm new to the forum,i wonder why if it's just me who find the image quality of MP grainy,i came from dji spark and i so love the image quality of that little bad boy,i sold the spark after 3 months of owning it and bought a slightly used MP with only 55 mins of flight and i was a bit disappointed with it's image quality esp in low light,i am using D-Cinelike +1 -1 - 1 settings,i tried both 2.7k and 1080p,i sometimes shoot in auto but mostly manual,it does'nt matter coz the videos i got so far is very similar,grainy and over sharpened,is this normal with mavic pro?
You didn't mention the ISO setting you are using.
That's one of the most important factors contributing to grainy results.
Low ISO (100) = fine grain High ISO = noticeable grain.
Low light situations are where you'll notice it more.

Reactions: Thomas B
The original Mavic has a pretty small sensor, so it is a challenge to avoid noise in low light conditions. You need to absolutely use the lowest ISO possible, sometimes meaning slower shutter speeds. And then motion blur can be a problem. For images, never use ND filters and for video, keep your sharpen setting at 0, to avoid watercolor effect. The Mavic is capable of some pretty good imagery, but it is a challenge, and the more light, the better.

Reactions: Kikz
You didn't mention the ISO setting you are using.
That's one of the most important factors contributing to grainy results.
Low ISO (100) = fine grain High ISO = noticeable grain.
Low light situations are where you'll notice it more.

Hi man,even at iso 100,I get grainy and over sharpened images,compared to the images I get from spark,that little guys images is easier to manage.

The original Mavic has a pretty small sensor, so it is a challenge to avoid noise in low light conditions. You need to absolutely use the lowest ISO possible, sometimes meaning slower shutter speeds. And then motion blur can be a problem. For images, never use ND filters and for video, keep your sharpen setting at 0, to avoid watercolor effect. The Mavic is capable of some pretty good imagery, but it is a challenge, and the more light, the better.

It is indeed a challenge,I love shooting sunrises and sunsets and was surprised to see the videos taken,have to work really hard in post to make it better,I use +1 coz I read that it cancels the noise reduction on mavic that really degrade the video quality but what I get is over sharpened and grainy footages still.

If you take video at 4k you may see a huge difference - also make sure you focus - what I do is achieve my elevation and tilt the camera maybe 30 degrees and then focus - I have the underside left button set to focus - here are two videos I shot this morning on our woodlot - sun was just coming up - it takes time to tweak things to get the right video - one was a flight down and one up. Different angles maybe a little height difference but still not bad quality. On Youtube it allows you to set the video quality to 2160p which is still a downgrade I believe.

I notice the camera is a little twitchy the odd time - may have to calibrate the sticks again.

If you take video at 4k you may see a huge difference - also make sure you focus - what I do is achieve my elevation and tilt the camera maybe 30 degrees and then focus - I have the underside left button set to focus - here are two videos I shot this morning on our woodlot - sun was just coming up - it takes time to tweak things to get the right video - one was a flight down and one up. Different angles maybe a little height difference but still not bad quality. On Youtube it allows you to set the video quality to 2160p which is still a downgrade I believe.

I notice the camera is a little twitchy the odd time - may have to calibrate the sticks again.

Thanks for the sample vids mate,it proved what i am pointing out,i have the same settings for focus on the underside of the remote and i make sure i focus everytime,base on the videos,it's still the same washed out and grainy image and this is in good lighting,it gets worse during lowlights,when i am in post too,those vids has ugly artifacts and weird flickering on the corners of the videos in premier pro which i never had with spark videos,it only goes away when i lower the sharpenign which made me think that mavic pro sharpening is fvcking up the image real bad.

It just maybe your computer - try using kodi to view your videos - if you are filming in 4k that's a lot to process - the reason I say this is I just upgraded my computer and I have a gtx1070 video card now and a Dell gaming system and it all looks fine - also create a YouTube account and upload some of your videos and make it unlisted then post a link to it in here so we can see it - YouTube will downgrade it for you as a test

It just maybe your computer - try using kodi to view your videos - if you are filming in 4k that's a lot to process - the reason I say this is I just upgraded my computer and I have a gtx1070 video card now and a Dell gaming system and it all looks fine - also create a YouTube account and upload some of your videos and make it unlisted then post a link to it in here so we can see it - YouTube will downgrade it for you as a test

Maybe not because on the same pc system,i have no problem with spark video,i mostly shoot in 1080p 30fps and when import both videos of spark and MP,i always had issues with mavics,here is one example,straight off the sd card,no editing,shot in 1080p,iso 100,d-cinelike 0 -1 -1,you can clearly see that the details in the trees are mushy and grainy,this was taken just after the sunrise...

From what I know about d-cinelike you pretty much have to post edit everything and that takes to much time !!! Personally I like to use original video. Try to get your iso at twice your frame rate if possible.

I did watch your video and with some editing you can make that look real good - but why when you can try to get it right with nd filters, frame rate, iso and natural light.

Here is a post I found in the forums that may help you.

Maybe not because on the same pc system,i have no problem with spark video,i mostly shoot in 1080p 30fps and when import both videos of spark and MP,i always had issues with mavics,here is one example,straight off the sd card,no editing,shot in 1080p,iso 100,d-cinelike 0 -1 -1,you can clearly see that the details in the trees are mushy and grainy,this was taken just after the sunrise...

The original Mavics have never had good 1080 video. That was a known issue and may or may not have been 'fixed' in software updates, but regardless, you're really putting yourself at a disadvantage shooting at anything less than 2.7k, especially if the lighting conditions are less than ideal.

From what I know about d-cinelike you pretty much have to post edit everything and that takes to much time !!! Personally I like to use original video. Try to get your iso at twice your frame rate if possible.

I did watch your video and with some editing you can make that look real good - but why when you can try to get it right with nd filters, frame rate, iso and natural light.

Here is a post I found in the forums that may help you.

You mean Shutter speed twice as my framerate?It was shot after sunrise so filters are not needed that time,thanks anyway mate

The original Mavics have never had good 1080 video. That was a known issue and may or may not have been 'fixed' in software updates, but regardless, you're really putting yourself at a disadvantage shooting at anything less than 2.7k, especially if the lighting conditions are less than ideal.

I shoot at 1080p coz it's easier for my pc to handle but i once tried 2.7k and still has the same grainy and mushy image on lowlight but i am thinking to try all the settings again in 2.7k and see if this improves,thanks man

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada