DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro in Nepal - any advice on regulations?

christiand

Reactions
I'm going to Nepal this summer to do voluntary work in Hospitals to repair biomedical equipment. And of course I'm planning to bring my Mavic!

Some websites say that you have to obtain a permission to fly a drone over public area, but somewhere else, I read that if it is below 2 kg, no approval is needed if I don't fly over private property. So I hope that you see that I'm quite confused. I'm going to be located in some quite remote areas, which means I won't be overflying any private property, only forest/terrain, and no buildings?

I also understand the the aviation authority doesn't reply to any emails, so I feel puzzles to how I can get any advise from any official agency.

If you have flown drones in Nepal, or you happen to know more about how drone laws work in Nepal, i would be very happy if you could give me any advice!

I was in Nepal in February and asked my contact person in Nepal before if I can bring a drone with me. The resaponse was clear:
Please note, it is illegal to bring "drone" without permission. It is long process and have to pay lots of money for permission. So, it is better not to bring drone. If you want to bring "drone" , than it is on personal risk.

By the way: During my stay for two weeks the air was always hazy and polluted and we never saw the mountains from Kathmandu. So, be prepared to get bad pictures.

Bump because I am also curious about this.

Has anyone actually had a problem trying to bring a drone through customs in Nepal?

Found this website:

drone | Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal

According to this page on the CAAN website, it sounds like CAAN permission is NOT required for a small drone like the Mavic. However, I have found contradictory statements in other places.

Also, how are you supposed to get permission from the Department of Tourism or Ministry of Home Affairs? The article doesn't say.

--------------------------------------

Operating UAV (drone) in Nepal
No one shall operate Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or drone in Nepal without obtaining permission as follows:

1. Tourists intending to fly UAV during their visit in Nepal shall obtain prior permission from following agencies:
  • – Department of Tourism
  • – Ministry of Home Affairs
  • – Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (not necessary for UAV less than 2 kg and below 200 ft from ground level)
  1. For research and study purpose, permission of following agencies is required:
  • – Line Ministry/Department relating to the subject matter of research/study
  • – Ministry of Home Affairs
  • – Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (not necessary for UAV less than 2 kg and below 200 ft from ground)
  1. UAV Pilots should be proficient in flying and have basic knowledge of rules pertaining to drone operation
  2. Do not fly UAV in a way that may cause safety risk to the aircrafts flying in the area.
  3. Small flying Toy can be operated inside the private premises.
  4. Flying UAV in public area for fun requires permission from local security agency.
  5. Liability of any harm to the persons or damage to the property caused due to the UAV operation shall be the responsibility of the person flying the drone.
  6. Refer following documents for detailed requirements for UAV operations in Nepal:
  • – ‘Flight Operations Directive No. 7, May 2015’ of Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal
  • – ‘Procedure for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle flying’ of Ministry of Home Affairs
  1. Do not use UAV other than the scope of permission.
  2. Flying an UAV without due permission shall be considered an Illegal and shall be subjected to the punishment in accordance to the prevailing civil aviation rules.
Application for Drone / Paragliding

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore