DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

chazz

Reactions
Here’s a project I’ve been working on. P3 motors on the Mavic. It runs pretty quiet at a 4400 rpm hover. Its 200 grams less than my lightened-up modded cam P3. We’ll see when I start trying to lift some heavy batteries if I burn something up. I printed the Mavic to P3 motor mounts and used the stock P3 3mm motor bolts to attach the motor to it and 2.5mm x 14mm bolts w/locknuts to attach it to the bird. I used 22awg silicone wire. I couldn’t run the wire through the arms because it was too tight so I ran the wire underneath them.

IMG_7146.JPG

IMG_7113.JPG IMG_7115.JPG IMG_7142.JPG IMG_7143.JPG IMG_7144.JPG IMG_7149.JPG

Last edited:
Here’s a project I’ve been working on. P3 motors on the Mavic. It runs pretty quiet at a 4400 rpm hover. Its 200 grams less than my lightened-up modded cam P3. We’ll see when I start trying to lift some heavy batteries if I burn something up. I printed the Mavic to P3 motor mounts and used the stock P3 3mm motor bolts to attach the motor to it and 2.5mm x 14mm bolts w/locknuts to attach it to the bird. I used 28awg silicone wire. I couldn’t run the wire through the arms because it was too tight so I ran the wire underneath them.

View attachment 35738

View attachment 35730 View attachment 35731 View attachment 35732 View attachment 35733 View attachment 35734 View attachment 35735
It looks very cool and all; what are the benefits?

Probably none to most Mavic owners but I like to carry heavy batteries. My theory is it should carry more weight and more mah. So far, the 4400rpm hover vs the original 5500rpm (I could be wrong) is showing the stock battery should last longer. I guess we’ll see.

Last edited:
Here’s a project I’ve been working on. P3 motors on the Mavic. It runs pretty quiet at a 4400 rpm hover. Its 200 grams less than my lightened-up modded cam P3. We’ll see when I start trying to lift some heavy batteries if I burn something up. I printed the Mavic to P3 motor mounts and used the stock P3 3mm motor bolts to attach the motor to it and 2.5mm x 14mm bolts w/locknuts to attach it to the bird. I used 28awg silicone wire. I couldn’t run the wire through the arms because it was too tight so I ran the wire underneath them.

View attachment 35738

View attachment 35730 View attachment 35731 View attachment 35732 View attachment 35733 View attachment 35734 View attachment 35735
I’m wondering how much this will benefit to the leaderboard range tests, maybe allowing for a lot longer flights (even though it’s currently stuck at 59,000 ft)

Reactions: chazz

View attachment 35738

Very interesting to say the least. Very curious as to what speeds you would be looking at.

I think it's a good idea for what your wanting to do with it. Good luck

Very , very interesting. And good to know that ph3 motor are compatible with mavic esc. The control algoritm of ph3 is same o quite same of mavic. In the past on ph3 i tested different motor with lower kv to increase propeller dia in ph 3 and was not feasible

My 1st flight with just the stock battery went well. I’m not used to flying just the stock battery so I don’t have much experience with how it acts. I may have flown once with it all stock before I did this mod so my experience with it may be how it acts normally and just not normal to me.

It seemed really quiet (stealth like) …It seems like it’s putting no effort into flying. 4000 to 5000 RPM’s even at 33mph. it was like having props connected to a feather. There may be some confusion with the Mavic programing and what its actually doing (if that makes sense) I may have to try and figure this out later and possibly try to adjust some flight parameters. I only got a little over 20min with this until it went into auto landing and I think that is low from what I saw others are getting all stock but not sure. The motors were cool to the touch but the battery was a little warm when it landed and Airdata showed higher than normal current so I thought it may need higher voltage on my next flight

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

My 2nd flight I decided to go with a 4s battery(s) like the p3. and it didn't go very well. I loaded it down with some heavy batteries. 1 - 4s MS8 LIHV and 2 - Protek 4s 4200 LIHV’s. It weighed 2045 grams and let’s just say a picture is worth 1000 words. Back to the drawing board.

And FYI remember that guy in those old time, learning to fly, flying clips that’s running down the hill with those wings on his arms flapping them and falls all over the place? Well that’s me. :)

IMG_7170.JPG IMG_7172.JPG IMG_7173.JPG IMG_7174.JPG IMG_7177.JPG IMG_7178.JPG

Is that from the torque of motors

As soon as it got about 3ft in the air this happened. So yes i would say torque from trying to lift the over 2000 gram bird. (or maybe vibration i really don't know.)

either way ill be trying to modify the mounts.

Last edited:
I first bought my bird to fly and get some deer pics., now even more fun modding it. I'm still working on signal but soon battery mod., watching guys like you help me because I know nothing.

I live in farm land so I do distance over fields looking for bucks.

Very , very interesting. And good to know that ph3 motor are compatible with mavic esc. The control algoritm of ph3 is same o quite same of mavic. In the past on ph3 i tested different motor with lower kv to increase propeller dia in ph 3 and was not feasible

Why not feasible?

How bout aluminum could go a little thinner?

If my new ones snap I probably wont be so lucky that it happens at 3ft up but yes aluminum is a good idea.

I made the mounts 1mm thicker and got rid of the sharp edges and went from 50% infill to 100%, thinner layers and tightened up the bolt holes. It went from 6 grams to 11 grams... I guess well see.IMG_7184.JPG

I would have done this with the P4 motors for the sole fact that the quick-release mechanism is more trustworthy until you go to a metal nut setup for your props. I don't trust the metal threads and plastic props.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa