DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro - Phantom 4 Pro - High Wind - A clear winner!

TxMavPro2017

Reactions
Greetings everyone,

I wanted to share with everyone what transpired earlier in the week while out taking commercial aerial shots of a building in Oklahoma City. No, this is not a P4P vs Mavic Pro thread. Nor is it even a remotely scientific analysis of my findings. It's simply something that happened earlier in the week based off of a real world scenario.

I was going to photograph a building in Oklahoma City and the winds were rather gusty (as is the case quite often in the OKC area). I had taken along both my Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian along with my Mavic Pro 'just in case'.

I began by taking out the Phantom. Set everything up and I was ready to go. Upon first attempt at lift off, the wind caught it and the bird tumbled like a tumbleweed across the lawn. Made a second attempt to get her airborne and man o' man was it struggling. The Phantom was having what seemed to be one helluva time negotiating the wind. It was leaning so far left I thought for a moment that it was going to flip. I decided not to press my luck and landed it before things got worse. I didn't even make it any more than 30-40 feet in the air.

I then took out the Mavic Pro. My anemometer reading was in the same neighborhood as when I tried to fly the Phantom. Upon lift off, the Mavic Pro took to the air like a champ. There was initial 'let me get used to the wind' stuff going on. But then, steady and off she went. Flew like a freaking champ and did everything I needed for it to do; and then some.

My disappointment was that I expected more from the Phantom and darn sure didn't expect for it to be outhandled by the Mavic Pro where the wind was concerned. Kind of lost a bit of confidence in the thing (somewhat), to be candid. On the other side of the coin, I was crazy impressed with the Mavic Pro. That thing just performs. And performs extraordinarily well time in and time out.

Reactions: drw52jc
Good way to start a "I lost my drone and it's somehow DJI's fault" thread.

Don't think I'm blaming DJI or anyone else? I'm all about operator error. No worries there. Simply putting forth my experience from the two drones under the same relative conditions is all.

Reactions: Daptone
I bet the Mavic handles better in the wind because of its small cross section. The Phantom has a much bigger body and it catches the wind more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll