DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Plantinum In the Wind, Question

Sharkravinmad

Reactions
Hi All

I recently purchased a Mavic Plantinum Pro, really liked the fly more combo pack. I have been flying drones for a long time, but only the Phantom series. I started out with the Phantom Vision and worked my way up to the Phantom 3 Professional. I have never expereinced issues with winds on any of these platforms. I cannot say the same for the Mavic, I am getting lot of drift in winds of just 20-25MPH. I have of course calibrated the compass and IMU after I purchased it. I have also calibrated the compass once after that. I have not used the drone that much. Am I doing something wrong? I am in GPS mode and my GPS signals are fanstastic so it looks like the triangulation is awesome. I have just never had any of my DJI products drift so much. I also have a prop calibration station and have insured the props are balanced. Hoping someone can give me some input, or maybe thats just the way the Mavic is? Thanks in advance.

The Mavic is not quite as good as the P4 at punching through the air - but you are right, you should be able to get position-keep in 20-25 mph winds, as the forward speed will exceed that in P or S modes. Are you getting any noticeable drift in calmer air???

No not really, it seems to drift slighlty in calm conditions, my phantom always remained almost frozen during those conditions. I am thinking it could be the way I am calibrating the compass, maybe. With winds over 20 MPH I get a side to side movement of about 6-12 inches. I am not familair yet with all the mavic settings. Thanks for the speedy response.

No not really, it seems to drift slighlty in calm conditions, my phantom always remained almost frozen during those conditions. I am thinking it could be the way I am calibrating the compass, maybe. With winds over 20 MPH I get a side to side movement of about 6-12 inches.
It has nothing to do with your compass calibration.
Are you sure there's actually a problem?
From the specs for your drone:
Hover Accuracy RangeVertical:
+/- 0.1 m (when Vision Positioning is active) or +/-0.5 m
Horizontal:
+/- 0.3 m (when Vision Positioning is active) or +/-1.5 m

No not really, it seems to drift slightly in calm conditions, my phantom always remained almost frozen during those conditions. I am thinking it could be the way I am calibrating the compass, maybe. With winds over 20 MPH I get a side to side movement of about 6-12 inches. I am not familiar yet with all the Mavic settings. Thanks for the speedy response.
Hmmm - doesn't seem right that you are getting drifting in calm conditions. My MPP is rock steady on the hover. The only time I had problems, is when I used magnetic tipped USB cables to charge the controller. I left the tip attached when not charging. The tip is metal and does pick up magnetism from being in contact with the main magnet part of the USB cable. I had a problem where my Mavic would creep downwards during hovering. This stopped when I removed the USB mag-tip and started to use a reversible micro-USB instead. It turns out that the controller sticks use magnetic 'Hall Effect' to sense position and turn that into steering controls for the Mavic. Having this small magnet stuck in the side of the controller was enough to introduce something that upset the 'field' and translated into a control input ...
Have you got anything magnetic or metallic that's near the controller while you fly???

Hi All

I recently purchased a Mavic Plantinum Pro, really liked the fly more combo pack. I have been flying drones for a long time, but only the Phantom series. I started out with the Phantom Vision and worked my way up to the Phantom 3 Professional. I have never expereinced issues with winds on any of these platforms. I cannot say the same for the Mavic, I am getting lot of drift in winds of just 20-25MPH. I have of course calibrated the compass and IMU after I purchased it. I have also calibrated the compass once after that. I have not used the drone that much. Am I doing something wrong? I am in GPS mode and my GPS signals are fanstastic so it looks like the triangulation is awesome. I have just never had any of my DJI products drift so much. I also have a prop calibration station and have insured the props are balanced. Hoping someone can give me some input, or maybe thats just the way the Mavic is? Thanks in advance.
When you speak of instability in 20 to 25 mph winds, it makes sense. In P mode with the front sensors on, the MPP is only capable of 19 to 20 mph. Regardless of the calibration, GPS, etc., it will never be able to maintain its position. As to more calm situations, my MPP does pretty good. Although I've never owned a Phantom, so what do I know about "pretty good."

Reactions: Zeke and BigAl07
My M1P is very stable in anything up to light wind, no drifting or movement etc.
Although I tend to try and fly in these conditions, when I’ve just HAD to fly in higher winds, the is some slight movements of the gps maintaining position, but the gimbal ensures smooth video footage 99% of the time.
Editing out slight bumps takes care of the odd thing there.
Hope you can sort it out, seems like a gps thing.
Maybe posting a flight log on a bad flight can pick something up there ?
Might be worth a go.

P3 doesn't have a sport mode so in P mode it will give all it can. The other two modes was F mode to enable intelligent flight modes, and the beloved Atti mode. After P3, sport mode was added for extra speed while P mode would be limited. It's that the allowed attack angle is lower in P mode.

Chris Rollins did a test with both the Mavic Pro and the Spark and a leaf blower here:

They did much better than he thought they would.

My confidence in flying stronger winds stepped up quite a notch just a few days ago.
Was driving 2 days home through inland NSW Australia, and just had to film some of the harsh drought conditions, despite winds being quite gusty.
Stopped to film 5 or so flights and some I was finding it hard to fly where I wanted, just ensured I did a little test flight near me into the wind, and was generally flying into the wind on my outward journey, just in case.
I would not have flown in those winds over the ocean though.
Still to edit those vids, but was very happy with general stability and particularly the way the gimbal gives very stable footage.

No not really, it seems to drift slighlty in calm conditions, my phantom always remained almost frozen during those conditions. I am thinking it could be the way I am calibrating the compass, maybe. With winds over 20 MPH I get a side to side movement of about 6-12 inches. I am not familair yet with all the mavic settings. Thanks for the speedy response.

I recently posted a video of the Mavic 2 flying in extreme winds at night in a snow fall turned flurry and although the Mavic can fly just as well as the Phantom in the wind, the Phantom can hold position better as well as the camera can take much more abuse without error or gimbals errors or camera shut down.

There will always be a place for the Phantom at the table .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11