DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro plat calibration

maka1870

Reactions
Hi and merry xmas all
Just about to fly drone for first time, was wondering do you calibrate compass and imu
Everytime before you fly it?, I am right in thinking I can calibrate the imu indoors and the compass outdoors in a open space away from interference .
Thanks

Just about to fly drone for first time, was wondering do you calibrate compass and imu
Everytime before you fly it?, I am right in thinking I can calibrate the imu indoors and the compass outdoors in a open space away from interference .
No ... you don't need to calibrate anything before each flight and you probably don't need to calibrate anything before your first flight.

Hi and merry xmas all
Thanks
If you do calibrate, you can calibrate the IMU indoors, but the compass outdoors.

Reactions: maka1870
Only calibration I have ever done was the compass and only because the MPP called for i during first flight.That being said I wish it would lift off directly above home point instead of shifting to the side about 12". Seems to be off by that much when RTH function is used too but that's not a deal breaker.

Hi and merry xmas all
Thanks
Here’s some reading from DJI that will help you with your MPP... scroll down a bit on the page for the files and full 70 page only online manual:

Reactions: maka1870
Plenty above. My pennies worth is calibrate both when you get it just for piece of mind and always worth doing a compass calibration if you are flying a few hundred miles from the last flight.

always worth doing a compass calibration if you are flying a few hundred miles from the last flight.
Although commonly suggested in forums, it's not at all necessary.
Distance from your last flying spot makes no difference at all to compass calibration.

Reactions: Captain Zipper
Distance from your last flying spot might not make the difference as much as how much your bird got jostled around enroute perhaps?

"A detail is something that goes unnoticed when present but is greatly missed when absent."

Unknown

Merry Christmas!

Only calibration I have ever done was the compass and only because the MPP called for i during first flight.That being said I wish it would lift off directly above home point instead of shifting to the side about 12". Seems to be off by that much when RTH function is used too but that's not a deal breaker.

I watched a video from 51 Drones. He had same issue. He calibrated compass and VOILA. Dead nut landings on return to home.

I watched a video from 51 Drones. He had same issue. He calibrated compass and VOILA. Dead nut landings on return to home.
The compass and recalibrating it won't affect the distance from launch point for automated RTH landings.
GPS accuracy is variable and accuracy of automated landings using GPS will vary.
If you want pinpoint automated landing accuracy, you have to use the Precision Landing feature which uses optical technology.

I always use the Precision Landing feature and it lands on the launch pad ....well, mostly. The front legs have missed just once but the camera was not damaged.

And on that note, I guess I'll just "follow" posts on this site. ?

Merry Christmas. ?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1477865851692.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477865851692.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 9
it is really a personal choice, whether you do or dont calibrate, you should not need to calibrate the IMU or compass unless you are advised to by the app, make sure that you are not near to large metal objects ,metal structures and concrete with rebar in it as these will give a compass error ,if you do get asked for a compass calibration move some distance away and see if the issue goes away before you calibrate,having a phone or i watch on can give a false calibration and if you do decide to do a calibration dont have your controller or device to close to the drone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots