DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum Drift & Altitude Change

khurram52c

Reactions
Hi everyone, i have a relatively new Mavic Pro Plat, 4 hrs 33 Mins of flight time.
I have been flying it almost everyday, basically getting a hang of things and all. However, i gave it a break for 2 days and then i took it out for a spin, but unlike before, it started drifting and changing altitude on its own. Some changes as big as a couple of meter change in altitude and horizontal move. At times it just stood there, and then it just drifted a little big.
The changes, i tried prop guards and enabled the prop guard in DJI Go 4 app. It showed drift. then i removed the Prop Guards, even then the drift persisted. I did IMU Calibration ensuring a lat surface and all, but still the drift is there.
Prior to this flight, there has been no such issue at all.
Any suggestions, please.

After removing your guards you turned OFF the prop guards option in the APP, right?

How many satellites were locked at the moment of the flight?

Have you flown for a long time or just a short test?

Can you try calibrating the IMU on another surface? Do not calibrate on metal or reflective surfaces.

Reactions: Flashcot
After removing your guards you turned OFF the prop guards option in the APP, right?

How many satellites were locked at the moment of the flight?

Have you flown for a long time or just a short test?

Can you try calibrating the IMU on another surface? Do not calibrate on metal or reflective surfaces.

i did turn off the options after removing the guards
and 14 sats were locked at that time.... and the flight was well ... 4-5 mins .. not too long ... but one thing ,. . i did IMU calibration on a glass table .... sooo may be thats where i am going wrong ... i will do it again on then report back ... i guess

i did turn off the options after removing the guards
and 14 sats were locked at that time.... and the flight was well ... 4-5 mins .. not too long ... but one thing ,. . i did IMU calibration on a glass table .... sooo may be thats where i am going wrong ... i will do it again on then report back ... i guess

Ok. Good luck with that

Ok. Good luck with that

Ok. Did IMU calibration on a solid surface. After that did an extensive hover test .. about 20 mins of flight.

Seems to be holding horizontal posn, but vertical deviations are still there... between 0.6m to 1.1m.
Is it pertinent to mention that its night time here and ambient lights is pretty low .... still it was locked on 15 gps sats.

What time of day and lighting conditions were you in? Hover accuracy in low light, or above 20ft or so decreases when VPS cameras cannot function properly.

What time of day and lighting conditions were you in? Hover accuracy in low light, or above 20ft or so decreases when VPS cameras cannot function properly.
as i mentioned that i am flying at night and ambient light is just decent. it gives me the message that obstacle avoidance sensors are not working. I am sorry i am new at this; could this be the reason for poor hovering. I guess i will have to wait till day light and cfm.

as i mentioned that i am flying at night and ambient light is just decent. it gives me the message that obstacle avoidance sensors are not working. I am sorry i am new at this; could this be the reason for poor hovering. I guess i will have to wait till day light and cfm.

The Mavic Pro relies on its Obstacle Avoidance sensors to maintain its position. You should try tomorrow and see if your aircraft is stable in daylight.

Drift can sometimes be fixed with stick calibration. When entering the stick calibration mode (GO4 app) if you have any value other than 'zero' with the sticks central then you'll likely experience drift.

Reactions: flockshot
Hi everyone, i have a relatively new Mavic Pro Plat, 4 hrs 33 Mins of flight time.
I have been flying it almost everyday, basically getting a hang of things and all. However, i gave it a break for 2 days and then i took it out for a spin, but unlike before, it started drifting and changing altitude on its own. Some changes as big as a couple of meter change in altitude and horizontal move. At times it just stood there, and then it just drifted a little big.
The changes, i tried prop guards and enabled the prop guard in DJI Go 4 app. It showed drift. then i removed the Prop Guards, even then the drift persisted. I did IMU Calibration ensuring a lat surface and all, but still the drift is there.
Prior to this flight, there has been no such issue at all.
Any suggestions, please.
The option for prop cages in GO should only be used if you use prop CAGES, NOT with simple prop guards.

Reactions: Kilrah
The option for prop cages in GO should only be used if you use prop CAGES, NOT with simple prop guards.
Although it's typical DJI that they call them prop guards now. Used to be cages.

from DJI:

Hi, there. You don't need to change the setting in GO4 using prop guards. Please mount them correctly. And if you want to use the prop cage, please follow the instruction from our website: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... +Usr+Guide+V1.2.pdf Thanks for your support.

Ok. Good luck with that
ok .. you were absolutely correct .... in day time it was rock solid in hovering .... but some of the comments are about Prop Guard. is the option for Prop Guard in DJI app to be enabled for prop guards (the official DJI plastic guards) or prop cage? some people are suggesting that the option is for prop cage and not guard. any remarks on that ?

Drift can sometimes be fixed with stick calibration. When entering the stick calibration mode (GO4 app) if you have any value other than 'zero' with the sticks central then you'll likely experience drift.
yeah did that too .... just for the sake of it ... otherwise it was calibrated ok ..

is the option for Prop Guard in DJI app to be enabled for prop guards (the official DJI plastic guards) or prop cage? some people are suggesting that the option is for prop cage and not guard. any remarks on that ?
Cage only.

ok .. you were absolutely correct .... in day time it was rock solid in hovering .... but some of the comments are about Prop Guard. is the option for Prop Guard in DJI app to be enabled for prop guards (the official DJI plastic guards) or prop cage? some people are suggesting that the option is for prop cage and not guard. any remarks on that ?

As Kilrah said above, this option is only for the propeller cage.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851