DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum gimbal tilt screeching sound, is this normal?

Tajino

Reactions
My Mavic Pro Platinum is making this strange screeching sound when it is tilted 90°. It doesn't happen on each tilt as you can see.

Would be great if someone could confirm this. Thanks!

*The beeping sound is from the controller, I had the gimbal up/down tilt set to the 5D button.

Uh , why? Fly it as long as you can if the issue does not interfere with gathering photos or video. Then use your Care Refresh (assuming you purchased it) , That way you can use the available life span and then get a new drone (many times DJI sends a new or refurb Mavic Pro Paltinum)

If you did not purchase the Care Refresh well then toss the above comment out the window.

Uh , why? Fly it as long as you can if the issue does not interfere with gathering photos or video. Then use your Care Refresh (assuming you purchased it) , That way you can use the available life span and then get a new drone (many times DJI sends a new or refurb Mavic Pro Paltinum)

If you did not purchase the Care Refresh well then toss the above comment out the window.

Sorry, but that's bad advice. The issue is a defective gimbal motor assembly and could cause the gimbal to overheat (which it probably is already), feedback the heat and overcurrent to the gimbal PCB, and possibly the core board, and destroy the drone. I fix gimbals every day of the year and I know that screeching noise.

Absolutely no need for the OP to use Refresh. This is a warranty issue. But before even being a warranty issue, if he is able to return it to the seller, he should do so and not waste a couple of months waiting for DJI to send him what might be a refurb.

If I were the OP, here is what I would do:

1. Return it as "defective merchandise" if it's within the return period
2. Send it to DJI under warranty if it's outside the return period of the seller he bought it from.

Reactions: Tajino
I think that explains why I randomly get gimbal resets mid flight.

Now i remembered, the gimbal did felt pretty warm to the touch after first booting it up right out the box. Since I'm a first time Mavic owner, I didn't know what to expect. Too bad my seller doesn't accept return or exchange, have to send it in to DJI for warranty (refurb parts replacement).

Thunderdrones, do you happened to know if the gimbal assembly is replaced together with the camera as a single set or are they separate parts?

Thunderdrones, do you happened to know if the gimbal assembly is replaced together with the camera as a single set or are they separate parts?

If you send it in to DJI as a warranty claim, they will send you a whole drone, they wont repair yours.

When I repair gimbals, I fix what is broken instead of replacing the whole thing like DJI does. I dont like throwing the baby out with the bathwater at my customers' expense.

I've got back my MPP from DJI after the warranty repair, they didn't send me a new one.
From the look of the screws orientation and glue on screws, it looks like they didn't even open it up for the repair.

The gimbal is still making the screeching sound occasionally, however the lens blurriness on the left quarter of the frame seems to be fixed. It is strange because the didn't even replace the camera, it has the same exact serial number as before when I check the EXIF of the DNG.

Would it be possible that DJI could remove the camera without opening up the MPP? And would it even be remotely possible that DJI would go to the extent of opening up camera and make adjustments to the de-centered lens?

@Thunderdrones, have you done camera replacement without opening the Mavic before?

From my tests in the previous month, I do get occasionally gimbal resets at the start of video recording, all those occur while I'm using 64G Sandisk Extreme Pro 100MB/s XC card. Still haven't encountered gimbal resets yet with the stock 16G Sandisk HC sd. Could be that the MPP has a glitch in the firmware with 64G XC card, may be related to exFat of XC card.

Reactions: Big Jim
Would it be possible that DJI could remove the camera without opening up the MPP?

There is no way of removing the entire gimbal without removing the top body, but they might have just replaced the camera barrel to cure the blurriness. That can be done without removing any screws from the frame, just 4 screws holding the barrel to the motor assembly.

have you done camera replacement without opening the Mavic before?

Camera barrel, many times. Entire gimbal, no.

The gimbal is still making the screeching sound occasionally

That would make sense if they just replaced the camera barrel. They might not have touched the motor assembly which is what is screeching.

Still haven't encountered gimbal resets yet with the stock 16G Sandisk HC sd.

Might be best to stick with the 16gb card which is what works for your drone.

@Thunderdrones, thanks for the quick reply.

I was wondering if all the Mavic camera has the same serial number in the EXIF? Could it be more like a camera part number rather than unique serial number for every camera? Curious to find out about this to see if they did changed the camera.

The camera serial number on my MPP from EXIF is 2016041101, is yours different or the same?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S