DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Prop Icing, Flight Conditions, Pictures

derekroberts

Reactions
Confirmed prop icing after about 50 minutes of flight, with just a few minutes in the car between batteries/locations. Drone was still flying well and I only landed it because of low battery, although the battery did seem to drain faster from 40 to 25% but I attributed that to the motors doing more work as the props would have been less aerodynamic. Also it was obviously cold but I was using Weather Underground simultaneously and the temp was 33* F so still 1 degree within the safe zone from the manufacturer. Humidity was 97% though, we had a 40* temperature swing in Michigan over the last 24 hours that reached highs near 50* and the snow melted dramatically this morning and early afternoon; by 4 pm the whole area was beginning to cover with dense fog and I was out flying from approx 430 to 530.

33* F
Humidity 97%
Dew Point 29*
Pressure 1024.0 mb

(Experimenting linking to a google photos album)

bM0Hd8LLIyLX5iJp2

RXoTGRbxHWypIX3B2

Can't upload images to the first post...

Depending on how you think of it, in Michigan we're about 500-600' above sea level and my flying today was all less than 50ft on the controller.

Attachments

• IMG_20180109_173830.jpg
    IMG_20180109_173830.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20180109_173838.jpg
    IMG_20180109_173838.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20180109_173844.jpg
    IMG_20180109_173844.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 203
The Mavic Pro's batteries will naturally deplete faster in cold weather. Even without any icing.

Can't upload images to the first post...

Depending on how you think of it, in Michigan we're about 500-600' above sea level and my flying today was all less than 50ft on the controller.

Crazy. I’ve flown Much colder in light snow. Never seen icing. Even when the temps are subzero. It must be the humidity you have there.

Moist air+low ambient temps=icing. Plus you’re going to get lower wind chill factoring in causing the ice. I’m in SE Mi. Where are you? Yesterday was my maiden flight with the MP. Just did some close flights to do a lot of adjustments and to get familiar with it. Not much different flying it in comparison to the P4 or Inspire.

Icing can happen at times you wouldn't expect it, even at lower altitudes. There are aviation calculations for this, and dewpoint is the big factor. I've sat in a 787 while it was being de-iced in June in Toronto, due to the possibility of icing as we climbed out.

These flights were in the city of Grand Haven within a mile of Lake Michigan and the Grand River. I flew over Lake Michigan a few days ago when it was 0* F to photograph the pier head and didn't have any icing problems then but the humidity was only in the 80% range that day, and it was my only flight. I'm sure the icing today was mostly due to the heavy fog and rapidly cooling temperatures. It dropped about 15* in maybe 90 minutes before sunset as the fog started to block out the sun early. The water tower and lighthouse pics are from a few days ago when the temperature was 0* F and the wooded pictures are the location are from today when the props iced.

Attachments

• FruitportWaterTower.jpg
    FruitportWaterTower.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 72
  • LighthouseWinter.jpg
    LighthouseWinter.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DuncansWoodsFog1.jpg
    DuncansWoodsFog1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • DuncansWoodsFog2.jpg
    DuncansWoodsFog2.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: fiftiesnut
Icing can happen at times you wouldn't expect it, even at lower altitudes. There are aviation calculations for this, and dewpoint is the big factor. I've sat in a 787 while it was being de-iced in June in Toronto, due to the possibility of icing as we climbed out.
Agreed.
It's actually more common at lower altitudes, normally when passing through cloud cover.

Airframe and aerofoil icing was one of my subjects at college, don't remember much of it now.

As much as I miss flying due to weather, I won't go out in the cold, can't handle it.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I flew mine during the height of the Snowpacolypse here in South Georgia last week and had zero issues with icing. I was quite impressed with the machine as it powered through all the falling snow with no issues at all.

Reactions: JMF
Just for your info, icing is more prevalent in colder weather when the dew point and ambient temps are closest. So take it as a perfect match for best icing possibility then as the difference moves the two numbers apart, the lesser of the chance but it needs to be a good deal less for icing to begin to be not an issue. There is far more to it than just this but use it as a guide in cold weather.

A few icing "facts". For icing you need visible moisture and cold temps. Dew point and wind chill are irrelevant. (other than visible moisture does form when OAT and dew point are close.) For instance, Boeing flight manuals say that icing conditions exist when OAT or TAT is 10 C or below and visible moisture such as rain, snow, etc, or visibility of 1 mile or less in fog or clouds. (along with a few other factors not relatable to quad ops.) The dew point spread on the ground may be ok, but if you climb into clouds or fog, you will be in icing conditions. With minor exceptions which would not be factors in drone ops, checklist call for anti-ice on or in auto at all altitudes when in icing conditions exist or are anticipated . Whether an airliner is at FL350, in the clouds or on approach with temps 10C or below in fog and clouds, he will probably have anti-ice on.

Another often overlooked consideration in regards to icing is that it doesn't only affect the aerodynamics of the props. It also adds weight when it forms on the body and can clog the air inlets and other areas of the body. Both the aerodynamic and the weight factors could be reasons for the battery draining faster. I don't know if heat buildup would be an issue in a Mavic in temps that cold, but something of which to be aware.
BTW, earlier post mentioned wind chill. Airplanes are not affected by windchill. That simply relates to exposed skin. It's a people thing.

Last edited:
These flights were in the city of Grand Haven within a mile of Lake Michigan and the Grand River. I flew over Lake Michigan a few days ago when it was 0* F to photograph the pier head and didn't have any icing problems then but the humidity was only in the 80% range that day, and it was my only flight. I'm sure the icing today was mostly due to the heavy fog and rapidly cooling temperatures. It dropped about 15* in maybe 90 minutes before sunset as the fog started to block out the sun early. The water tower and lighthouse pics are from a few days ago when the temperature was 0* F and the wooded pictures are the location are from today when the props iced.
I really liked the pictures. The two in the fog with snow on the ground made me shiver. Thanks for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60