DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro. Replace or new batteries?

mrwagdog

Reactions
Greetings all,

I’ve been flying a Mavic Pro for several years successfully. It’s a great platform and I feel very comfortable using it. Most of my work has been in real estate and some mapping. The MP has done great work.

Out of my 3 batteries, one has started to bulge after flying and I know it’s EOL is near. The other 2 are strong, but they are obviously getting old. All three are OEM.

I’m very leery about buying off-brand batteries. Some of the reviews on Amazon are downright scary.

As much as I don’t want to, at this point I’m considering buying a replacement drone.

Admittedly, I haven’t followed the DJI lineup for the past several years. What is comparable to the Mavic Pro now and won’t break the bank?

Also, is there a source of OEM batteries for the MP anywhere?

Thanks for any replies.

I actually lost my mavic pro platinum because I flew it with a swelled up battery. So far my Mavic 3 batteries haven't had that problem, but I've only had it 15 months. Really, the mavic pro is almost as good as the 3 for most things. I don't know about getting batteries now. Just have to google I guess.

I actually lost my mavic pro platinum because I flew it with a swelled up battery. So far my Mavic 3 batteries haven't had that problem, but I've only had it 15 months. Really, the mavic pro is almost as good as the 3 for most things. I don't know about getting batteries now. Just have to google I guess.
Thanks, yes, I’ve definitely googled and read a lot of reviews on non-oem batteries. The problem is I suspect some of the 5-star reviews are fake, but don’t know for sure. It’s always hit or miss with non-oem stuff. You can’t really mess around with batteries as you’ve noted; when they go bad, the drone drops out of the sky.

I wish DJI supported their older models better. I’m sure there are still lots of Mavic Pro drones out there in good working condition. I really like mine.

Reactions: Ted B and mereflyer
Thanks, yes, I’ve definitely googled and read a lot of reviews on non-oem batteries. The problem is I suspect some of the 5-star reviews are fake, but don’t know for sure. It’s always hit or miss with non-oem stuff. You can’t really mess around with batteries as you’ve noted; when they go bad, the drone drops out of the sky.

I wish DJI supported their older models better. I’m sure there are still lots of Mavic Pro drones out there in good working condition. I really like mine.
I lost my first mavic pro, and crashed my mavic pro platinum into the ocean. It still flies but I couldn't get a working camera/gimbal. So I never had any problems with them wearing out. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for DJI to keep making the batteries. Maybe they just want people to buy new drones lol.

Out of my 3 batteries, one has started to bulge after flying and I know it’s EOL is near. The other 2 are strong, but they are obviously getting old. All three are OEM.
I’m very leery about buying off-brand batteries. Some of the reviews on Amazon are downright scary.
My 5 cents opinion. I have two MP, used rarely now because I use more an MP2: I have had 5 MP batteries in total. The 3 DJI original ones have all swollen. The 2 replacements from ENEGON are still OK.

I see only now this interesting post on this forum:

I wish I had known this before!!

Reactions: Ted B and mereflyer
My 5 cents opinion. I have two MP, used rarely now because I use more an MP2: I have had 5 MP batteries in total. The 3 DJI original ones have all swollen. The 2 replacements from ENEGON are still OK.
Interesting. I know it’s a matter of time on my last two. I’ll look into that brand, although I tend to think all the off-brand bats are made by the same manufacturer and rebranded.

I see only now this interesting post on this forum:

I wish I had known this before!!
You and me both!

Greetings all,

I’ve been flying a Mavic Pro for several years successfully. It’s a great platform and I feel very comfortable using it. Most of my work has been in real estate and some mapping. The MP has done great work.

As much as I don’t want to, at this point I’m considering buying a replacement drone.

Admittedly, I haven’t followed the DJI lineup for the past several years. What is comparable to the Mavic Pro now and won’t break the bank?

Also, is there a source of OEM batteries for the MP anywhere?

Thanks for any replies.
I like what I'm getting from the Autel Evo Lite +

Reactions: mrwagdog
I don’t have a Mavic Pro but I have been using PowerExtra batteries for my Phantom 3 Standard for years and have never had any problems. My oldest battery has close to 200 charge cycles on it and is still working perfectly. I am seeing PowerExtra batteries for the MP on Amazon for around CAN$115. I did have to send one back to Amazon but it was replaced without any questions.

Buying a third party battery is your only option right now aside from purchasing a new craft.

Chris

Reactions: mrwagdog
I don’t have a Mavic Pro but I have been using PowerExtra batteries for my Phantom 3 Standard for years and have never had any problems. My oldest battery has close to 200 charge cycles on it and is still working perfectly. I am seeing PowerExtra batteries for the MP on Amazon for around CAN$115. I did have to send one back to Amazon but it was replaced without any questions.

Buying a third party battery is your only option right now aside from purchasing a new craft.

Chris
Thanks, appreciate the pointer. The power extra is one of those brands with some pretty harsh reviews (actually all of the off brands have them). I think it’s one of those “ya take your chances” kind of things. I’ll probably give this brand a spin and see what happens.

When DJI discontinues producing batteries for a model, the only options are used batteries or 3rd party batteries. I still have my Phantom 3 Standard and will keep it going for as long as I can. Right now I have 4 working batteries for it, all 3rd party of which 3 are PowerExtra. If I don't crash it or it doesn't fail before the batteries reach their EOL I will probably buy at least one more PowerExtra battery to keep it flying. I feel fortunate that there are 3rd party vendors still making batteries for these old drones.

My Spark unfortunately is much worse off. It still works and flies great BUT there are no 3rd party batteries available for it and any original batteries that are available (very few) are way overpriced and going for way more than the original batteries cost, making the Spark, which is an excellent drone, a virtual paperweight.

Chris

When DJI discontinues producing batteries for a model, the only options are used batteries or 3rd party batteries. I still have my Phantom 3 Standard and will keep it going for as long as I can. Right now I have 4 working batteries for it, all 3rd party of which 3 are PowerExtra. If I don't crash it or it doesn't fail before the batteries reach their EOL I will probably buy at least one more PowerExtra battery to keep it flying. I feel fortunate that there are 3rd party vendors still making batteries for these old drones.

My Spark unfortunately is much worse off. It still works and flies great BUT there are no 3rd party batteries available for it and any original batteries that are available (very few) are way overpriced and going for way more than the original batteries cost, making the Spark, which is an excellent drone, a virtual paperweight.

Chris
Yeah, I really wish DJI supported their older (not THAT much older) stuff better. If there was a company remotely close to producing better stuff, I’d be looking elsewhere because of it.

Still haven’t ordered the off-brand batteries, thinking about it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas