DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro simply fell out of the sky while flying

abarwick

Reactions
Hey all,

Was flying my Mavic on 4th July and while over a shallow river inlet in my area, it literally fell out of the sky.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones = this is my txt file upload. Aircraft is non-responsive and both it and the battery smell like burnt electronics so I cant get the DAT file.

Can anyone see anything that might have been the cause of the crash? I'm fairly experienced at flying. I know CSC can cause the aircraft to fall, but that doesn't explain the lack of video signal/sensor data/"connecting..." on the controller. It should still have been connected. Possibly could have been jammed but doubtful.

Sigh :(

Thanks for any tips/assistance!
Ash

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Based on your explanation and the fact nothing odd is showing up there, it sounds like your drones computer fried. For more details, you need to upload the TXT file to the place msinger mentioned.

@abarwick are you able to pull the log off the aircraft with DJI Assistant 2 or is it drowned?
TXT log from RC just looks normal up to this point whereas I bet the aircraft DAT would be more revealing.

Well done flying over parkland and not over peoples backyards.

upload_2017-7-7_16-30-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-7_16-35-3.png
    upload_2017-7-7_16-35-3.png
    750.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
mavic-pro-does.jpg

Reactions: abarwick
@abarwick are you able to pull the log off the aircraft with DJI Assistant 2 or is it drowned?
TXT log from RC just looks normal up to this point whereas I bet the aircraft DAT would be more revealing.

Well done flying over parkland and not over peoples backyards.

View attachment 16690

Sir,

It's toast hey... I tried putting a new battery in it (risking the thing blowing up in my face) and had no luck. That was the first thing I thought of. Unfortunately I think my only way to get this resolved is to send to DJI. Not sure how they will be able to tell what the issue is... But it's definitely a strange one!

And thank you! I do try to respect everyone's privacy while flying - if I do happen to fly over houses or people, it's 200ft or higher so the noise doesn't annoy them and so I don't make them feel uncomfortable.

Reactions: peros550 and Balko
Definitely not your fault. I just looked at flight log. 100% dji who is responsible for this. Possible motor failure maybe. Have you tried spinning all four motors by hand? See if you notice any difference in one of the motors compared to the rest

Yeah, I've gone out over the ocean here and luckily had no issue. I was nervous but I managed to get 2000ft before I turned around and hightailed it back to land haha.

....It's toast hey... I tried putting a new battery in it (risking the thing blowing up in my face) and had no luck. That was the first thing I thought of. Unfortunately I think my only way to get this resolved is to send to DJI. Not sure how they will be able to tell what the issue is... But it's definitely a strange one!
DJI will be able to pull something off the internal SD card no doubt.
So it went in the water. Did you go to much efffort to dry it out prior to trying to power it on with another battery? Mine went in the drink, battery was stuffed but after 24 hours of carerful drying out it powered on, all bar the camera.

If it was some sort of instantaneous battery failure I suppose this would explain sudden loss of telemetry, end of log and fall from sky. But burnt swollen smelly battery and internal failure on mavics internal boards all in the same event seems a little unlikely. Still possible if main board failed in air first and battery damage was from subsequent immersion. Single Motor failure would have shown in telemetry (tumbling) and not caused instant loss of connection I expect.

So it went in the water. Did you go to much efffort to dry it out prior to trying to power it on with another battery? Mine went in the drink, battery was stuffed but after 24 hours of carerful drying out it powered on, all bar the camera.

If it was some sort of instantaneous battery failure I suppose this would explain sudden loss of telemetry, end of log and fall from sky. But burnt swollen smelly battery and internal failure on mavics internal boards all in the same event seems a little unlikely. Still possible if main board failed in air first and battery damage was from subsequent immersion. Single Motor failure would have shown in telemetry (tumbling) and not caused instant loss of connection I expect.

I dried it out as much as I could... But it's been a few days now, might try again tonight. Hopefully it doesn't blow up or smoke haha.

I just put another battery in it turned it on and it started smoking a bit. So i turned it off. The battery lights didn't do the normal thing either. And it definitely didn't chime like it usually does. It's futucked lol.

I just put another battery in it turned it on and it started smoking a bit. So i turned it off. The battery lights didn't do the normal thing either. And it definitely didn't chime like it usually does. It's futucked lol.

If you send it to DJI, please make sure not to send the battery. It could explode in transit. You might start by taking pictures and filing a warranty claim.

Reactions: abarwick
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu