DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro - still relevant in 2020?

lee82gx

Reactions
Hello everyone. I'm from sunny Malaysia.

Recently with the launch of the Mavic Mini I've become very interested in this hobby of flying for photography.

I'm something of a photography enthusiast with dslrs and various kit n flashes.

I've followed the whole Mavic mini early adoption issues and I find it alarming that some of the issues being brought up are happening, to cit it short I believe I'm able to afford a used, under 1 year old Mavic pro fly more combo. (The used market is around usd700 here).

My question is does the camera / gimbal sensor performance still cut it in 2020? I know that silicon sensors improve at a fast rate, compared to many other tech products. I'm just a learner in terms of flying, while I hope the photos can still justify a flying camera. I think I'll mainly just take regular landscape photos and the odd family hike or 2.

Thoughts? Or should I go for a similarly priced Mavic Air combo?

The Mavic Pro is still a very good drone and I am keeping mine in parallel to having the Mini, too.
In contrast to the Mavic Air the Pro has the Ocusync transmission system instead of Wifi, which means much more range and reliability. So, if size and weight doesn't matter for you, I would take the Pro instead of the Air.

The Mini is just a intro hobbist drone that is made with many of the bells & whistle of upper tier drones, the draw backs on the mini is what separate it from upper level drones. If photography is what you do, you will get over the new toy WOW factor with the mini soon and will be looking for a more serious drone to compliment you DSLR work. Not having sensors is something that come into play as a photographer as you are focus on the shot just as you do with your regular cameras. Having those sensors will save your drone more times than not over time. Even using larger screens (tablet size) don't offer much more help as you only see what the drone sees, with ambient light reducing your viewing adds to the need of having sensors. The mini is what it is intendent to be, a first intro drone that is heads above any other drone on the market in its price range.

the Mavic pro platinum that i own was and still is a fantastic flier and camera drone ,it does just what it says on the box ,and at the moment the flymore combo is an absolute bargain in the black friday sales ,but hurry as they will not be this cheap for long

Having taken another serious look at the bulk of the Mavic Pro and the accompaniment, I'm sceptical of my own commitments to carry such a large ensemble of gear.

I must admit being wowed by the size of the mini and came away thinking I could carry this anywhere. Just wished it didnt came with so many fly away stories.

So this leaves me to ask a similar question about the mavic air I suppose. If checked that one out and the size is more palatable.

Reactions: Captain MP
I’m not sure what issues you are talking about with the mini. I was also in the same boat as you though and ultimately got a steal of a deal on a brand new Mavic Pro Fly More Combo for $625 so couldn’t say no to that. The longer flight times and the obstacle avoidance were big draws for me, but the Occusync was the final decision maker as it’s leaps and bounds better than the Advanced WiFi.

Seen a few issues with fly aways and persistent lifting off that affect experienced pilots. Being new to flying this instills far more doubt than confidence.

@easyheimer how do you find the bulk and size of the mavic pro so far? I followed your thread too. Glad you liked your purchase, I'm still worried my missus will not like the size and eventually we don't carry it around much, like what happened to the DSLR that now gave way to opportunistic shots just with the phone.

I guess most flyaways of the Mini are pilot related, e.g. flying in strong and gusty wind conditions, no compass calibration before first takeoff, no adaption of RTH altitude to local environment and so on.
Obstacle sensors are a nice-to-have feature but often suck in daily experience due to not seeing thin branches, one-colored walls without texture, misinterpreting sun light as an obstacle (very bad consequences while executing RTH). I usually turn the sensors off when flying my Pro.
From flying both the Pro and Mini I can say, the Mini acts very close to what I am used to from the Pro. And its Wifi transmission system is more close to the Ocusync system of the Pro than to the older Wifi systems from Air and Spark.
The Pro is still small enough within its Fly More bag and easy to take with you, as long as you don't try to pack all accessories into the bag, too. But it cannot compete with the portability of the Mini. And I guess the Air is more near to the Pro than the Mini when it comes to size and weight.

I guess most flyaways of the Mini are pilot related, e.g. flying in strong and gusty wind conditions, no compass calibration before first takeoff, no adaption of RTH altitude to local environment and so on.
Obstacle sensors are a nice-to-have feature but often suck in daily experience due to not seeing thin branches, one-colored walls without texture, misinterpreting sun light as an obstacle (very bad consequences while executing RTH). I usually turn the sensors off when flying my Pro.
From flying both the Pro and Mini I can say, the Mini acts very close to what I am used to from the Pro. And its Wifi transmission system is more close to the Ocusync system of the Pro than to the older Wifi systems from Air and Spark.
The Pro is still small enough within its Fly More bag and easy to take with you, as long as you don't try to pack all accessories into the bag, too. But it cannot compete with the portability of the Mini. And I guess the Air is more near to the Pro than the Mini when it comes to size and weight.
Thanks for the reassurance on the Mini. The mind hears what it wants to hear in this case, I'm inclined to take a risk...

You should also be aware that most MM owners will only post their mishaps into forums, but not their success stories. And I guess the MM is a similar success story to DJI from the amount of sold devices as was the Mavic Pro 3 years ago.

Reactions: Flycaster
Yes I completely understand that the internet is full of one sided stories, many of which tend to be extreme.

Honestly, I love the size of the MP1. Don’t forget, not too long ago it was the smallest drone of its kind. It folds up into a nice compact size and the only time it’s a lot bigger is when it’s in the air which shouldn’t matter. It’s super portable and the only reason you’re second guessing the size is because now there are smaller sizes. If those didn’t exist you’d still be saying how small the Mavic Pro was. See what I’m saying? Also, I’d rather have a bigger drone when flying than a smaller one. Much easier to find after a crash or flyaway.

Reactions: Deleted member 3792
I can’t see and understand your complains about the Mavic:s size? My other drones are MUCH LARGER than the Mavic. Compare to the Spark here and you will understand that the Mavic is a fantastic companion in the air.

Attachments

• C32543D7-DEFC-47F5-BD31-71C768219E8D.jpeg
    C32543D7-DEFC-47F5-BD31-71C768219E8D.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
  • D5E66AE3-D957-4FAC-BDE2-29B6C6811A13.jpeg
    D5E66AE3-D957-4FAC-BDE2-29B6C6811A13.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 57
  • ED4C6282-CE24-46DB-BBA4-BD5E6D45724C.jpeg
    ED4C6282-CE24-46DB-BBA4-BD5E6D45724C.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 58
Maybe you should also consider the Parrot Anafi.
I own a Mavic Pro (one of the first released about 3 years ago) and two old P3A.
I bought very recently a second hand Anafi (Extended) and I must say that I enjoy its capacties both in photo and video. To fly it is very easy and reliable. Its light weight is a pleasure when hicking, compared to the Mavic Pro.

I also love mine, gets great flight time, and does a good job in winder conditions, something that lighter and smaller drones would more issues with. And I like the quality of the MP1's camera and video. MP2 would be better, but not by much from what I have heard from some people.

I absolutely love my MP1. It’s been rock solid reliable for me in every way and has been a joy to own and fly. I have much larger hex-copters that I enjoy flying but find myself grabbing the MP1 a lot of the time. I’m just a hobby r/c pilot so my requirements are certainly different than a professional photographer by far but the MP1 is still a very advanced and relevant aircraft that I’m still amazed by often. With the deep discounts currently available on the MP1 it has to be one of the best values out there right now for the hobbyist pilot, that’s just my opinion.

Maybe you should also consider the Parrot Anafi.
I own a Mavic Pro (one of the first released about 3 years ago) and two old P3A.
I bought very recently a second hand Anafi (Extended) and I must say that I enjoy its capacties both in photo and video. To fly it is very easy and reliable. Its light weight is a pleasure when hicking, compared to the Mavic Pro.
Thanks for the suggestion on the parrot anafi, however there is far too little sales and after sales support for this brand in my country. Heck even DJI is just considered barely established here.

I’m not sure what issues you are talking about with the mini. I was also in the same boat as you though and ultimately got a steal of a deal on a brand new Mavic Pro Fly More Combo for $625 so couldn’t say no to that. The longer flight times and the obstacle avoidance were big draws for me, but the Occusync was the final decision maker as it’s leaps and bounds better than the Advanced WiFi.

Does the mavic pro have ocu sync

Reactions: easyheimer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000