DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Strange Behaviour During Interstate Trip

ElegantBird

Reactions
I live in Perth and I've just taken my 4-month old MPP on a trip away from home for the first time. At home I've flown it as high as 105m above ground and as far away from the RC as the signal strength permitted (around 1500m). I've flown over 40 "missions", totalling over 5 hours. The mobile device I use is my just-before-current mobile phone, with no sim and bare-minimum apps and memory use. I have never used anything else since I started flying this drone.
Upon first connection on the Queensland Sunshine Coast, I was asked by the DJI Go 4 app to confirm my registration via a telephone number in mainland China. It would not accept a number from any other country.
I closed and restarted the app, and then all seemed to function normally, except for an unexpected limit in height above take-off point: 30m. I was in bright sunlight, not the best condition to check settings on a small mobile phone screen, so I left dealing with this problem to the next startup.
This morning was the next start up, so before flying I checked all the settings, including beginner mode, distance limit and height limit - all seemed to be set the way I usually keep it. I took to take some photos of a friend's house and found that the system was not only limited to the 30m height, but also limited in radius to about 30m also (the message did not say what the radius was). I checked those limit settings again during hover and found the height limit at its usual 120m and distance limit set to off.
I'm quite puzzled by this unexpected behaviour, and I'm not sure how to approach it. I've searched the forum, but I can't find any mention of a request for a telephone number in mainland China (my prime suspect for the behaviour).
Does anyone have any suggestions for me, please?

Forgot to mention something possibly important. Another unexpected thing which happened before the first interstate flight was a request to calibrate the compass. I had not seen this request come up since the very first flight out of the box.
It made that request again before the next flight also. Each time the calibration process seemed to complete successfully, so I didn't think anything of it more than a quirk of the new flight environment. I'm taking off from the driveway of a newly built private house. It is a fairly sloped driveway, on fairly sloped land, and I am starting on the flattest point that I can find (I estimate less than 5deg from level).

Tether that phone to one with a sim and start up GO. That should clear the 30m limitation.
Or go to a place with a open wifi hotspot.

Reboot? Firmware updated?

Taking off from a non-flat surface confuses some drones, I can't speak to yours.

I once had a similar issue on my P3P...my DJI app wasn’t running with the most recent update at the time and it wouldn’t let my fly outside of this restrictions until I updated the app.

If you’re flying with DJI Go, check for an available update!

Thanks for all the helpful ideas so far.

The mobile phone I use has no sim, but is always connected to the WiFi of the house, and I haven't yet walked far enough away to lose that connection. The mobile device was powered off during interstate trip, but I will try rebooting it.
I check for all updates on the phone before powering up any of the DJI components, and for latest firmware before starting motors. I have so far never even started motors without first achieving a GPS lock.

This behaviour is really puzzling me.

The drone was recently repaired by DJI after a tree crash, but I flew it 8 times over 2 weeks before the trip, with the only unexpected event that I had to register it again as if it were a new aircraft before the first flight.

OK, flight no. 3 for this trip was completely normal.
Not sure whether that was due to the rebooting of the mobile phone, or the powering up on a level base, far away from my rental car, before hand-carrying to motor start & take-off from a different, non-level location.
We'll see what happens after the next travel leg. If significant, I will post again .
Thanks again to all who tried to help.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty