DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro to Platinum ESC?

The ESC hasn't been it's own set of boards since Phantom 2.
Even if you could replace the ESC circuit, I don't believe the main board input would be compatible. Might as well just upgrade to the MPP AC.

The ESC hasn't been it's own set of boards since Phantom 2.
Even if you could replace the ESC circuit, I don't believe the main board input would be compatible. Might as well just upgrade to the MPP AC.
Phantom 4, Mavic air and mini have seperate ESC board.

Now- you seem very confident Pro and platinum boards aren’t interchangeable. Have you seen the subject boards, they have ESC and flight controller on the same card but the layout and connector locations and type seem the same as do the dimensions. I don’t think I would be confident they aren’t compatible, is it a simple guess in your part? Would be nice to know if this is possible.

Both ESC and main board are compatible. It will just show up as a mavic platinum in the go 4 app and assistant 2
Shout out to Jack one of our skilled techs for his quick response
Thank you for the clarification.

Guessing, especially when you get it wrong and even worse when you make it seem like its a fact costs time and money. The benefit of experience is often undervalued.

Both ESC and main board are compatible. It will just show up as a mavic platinum in the go 4 app and assistant 2
Shout out to Jack one of our skilled techs for his quick response

But you'd be replacing the main board and ESC together, wouldn't you? I assume OP was expecting to replace just the ESC cheaply.

But you'd be replacing the main board and ESC together, wouldn't you? I assume OP was expecting to replace just the ESC cheaply.
Hmm...not sure as I am not a tech and it’s too late to text Jack
Will follow up in the am

A safer assumption would be that the OP had access to a platinum FC/ESC board. It is unlikely he might have something that doesn’t exist.

The fact is your suggestion he might need to, or would be better off as you put it, upgrading to a platinum would be a poor choice. The FC/ESC platinum board is cheap and an easy plug in replacement.

Not at all. Many think it might be easy to upgrade from one sub-model to another by just replacing a small component or firmware or both and ask if and how. I don't believe it's as trivial as the OP seems to think, and there's no indication the OP already has Platinum components on hand.

Not at all. Many think it might be easy to upgrade from one sub-model to another by just replacing a small component or firmware or both and ask if and how. I don't believe it's as trivial as the OP seems to think, and there's no indication the OP already has Platinum components on hand.
Why do you do this to yourself? The questions were is the pro/platinum ESC board a direct drop in for the pro -and- is it as simple as a swap and firmware flash?

The answer to both questions seems to be yes.

Basic tools and reasonable mechanical aptitude and it’s a close to trivial task.

I’d say it’s a three beer job at a nice relaxed pace.

Reactions: mrreddog
FYI...This is not exactly the same thing, but I replaced the main board in my MPP with one from an MP. It has been working for hundreds of flights. However, in my case I continue to use the Super Patcher and jkson5 mods, and I’m not sure if that makes any difference on the issue of compatibility. In other word, I am not using the latest FW.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDS
Why do you do this to yourself? The questions were is the pro/platinum ESC board a direct drop in for the pro -and- is it as simple as a swap and firmware flash?

The answer to both questions seems to be yes.

Basic tools and reasonable mechanical aptitude and it’s a close to trivial task.

I’d say it’s a three beer job at a nice relaxed pace.
But there likely is no separate ESC board but rather the ESC circuit is part of the main board. THAT is the issue I am pointing out. If it's cost effective for him to replace the main board, by all means do it. I wouldn't think it would be cost effective but only the OP can answer that and he hasn't replied for some time even to clarify what he meant and has so we are both speculating.

FYI...This is not exactly the same thing, but I replaced the main board in my MPP with one from an MP. It has been working for hundreds of flights. However, in my case I continue to use the Super Patcher and jkson5 mods, and I’m not sure if that makes any difference on the issue of compatibility. In other word, I am not using the latest FW.
Curious, but why did you downgrade your MPP to MP functionality?

But there likely is no separate ESC board but rather the ESC circuit is part of the main board. THAT is the issue I am pointing out. If it's cost effective for him to replace the main board, by all means do it. I wouldn't think it would be cost effective but only the OP can answer that and he hasn't replied for some time even to clarify what he meant and has so we are both speculating.
Its hard to know what you are pointing out as your various responses make it difficult to follow.

You started suggesting (post#2) OP should upgrade drone as the ESC board probably couldn't be replaced and if it could the mainboard input wouldn't be comparable. Demonstrably wrong on both counts.

You then suggest again main board and ESC would need to be replaced together (post #7)- not correct.

And now, even after it has been demonstrated your assumptions are wrong you are still suggesting the ESC board is part of the main board- it isn't.

If you are interested in what the reality is, it's not complicated;

The board subject of the OP's question is principally the ESC board, the flight controller sub board (also contains the IMU) is a serperate component and mounts onto it. The "main board" is a separate component.

The "main board", to the extent you might remain intent on describing any of the sub components as such, is known the "Core A board". If this board was fried you might consider finding another Mavic Pro or platinum as an economical consideration.

What problem might you have with any of the facts/realities here? The OP has options which likely provide an economical and practical solution to get him back in the air. Thats what is important.

Curious, but why did you downgrade your MPP to MP functionality?
I bricked my main board and needed a replacement. One from an MP was available. At the time, it was a shot in the dark. But the change has not downgraded or lessened the AC functionality. When it boots, the Go 4 app image still switches to the Platinum.

FYI, I gave my old board to @mrreddog. He reported to me today that he has found a way to un-brick it. Good to know!

Reactions: WithTheBirds
OP never indicated he was dead in the water, which is what I am interpreting you're saying by "back in the air". As a matter of fact his only post was post #1 so it seemed to me he was only looking to upgrade a working M1P to work as an M1PP by means of changing a board.

It wasn't stated for a fact the ESC was a separate board. DDS was going to get details from his tech but hasn't yet, or your argument distracted me from a confirmation response from him.

If the ESC is indeed separate from the main board providing input to the ESC circuit, and the input provided by the M1P is compatible with the M1PP, then sure, it's a possibility even economically. Seemed unusual to me though and wasn't the case with the Phantom 3 unlike the Phantom 2: it only had one board for flight.

Because of the methodology change of the ESC between M1P and M1PP, their expected input could also have been different. If I'm mistaken, I stand corrected .

I put a MP core board in a MPP and everything behaved as if it was a MPP. The power board is the ESC and the flight controller and that dictates MPP or MP identity. I understand that the motors are slightly different in the MPP though?

The core board just handles the media manipulation, Wi-Fi, collision avoidance processing, RC messaging.. Etc..

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
OP never indicated he was dead in the water, which is what I am interpreting you're saying by "back in the air". As a matter of fact his only post was post #1 so it seemed to me he was only looking to upgrade a working M1P to work as an M1PP by means of changing a board.

It wasn't stated for a fact the ESC was a separate board. DDS was going to get details from his tech but hasn't yet, or your argument distracted me from a confirmation response from him.

If the ESC is indeed separate from the main board providing input to the ESC circuit, and the input provided by the M1P is compatible with the M1PP, then sure, it's a possibility even economically. Seemed unusual to me though and wasn't the case with the Phantom 3 unlike the Phantom 2: it only had one board for flight.

Because of the methodology change of the ESC between M1P and M1PP, their expected input could also have been different. If I'm mistaken, I stand corrected .
"if you are mistaken"? Amazing......

I put a MP core board in a MPP and everything behaved as if it was a MPP. The power board is the ESC and the flight controller and that dictates MPP or MP identity. I understand that the motors are slightly different in the MPP though?

The core board just handles the media manipulation, Wi-Fi, collision avoidance processing, RC messaging.. Etc..
The key difference between MPP and MP is how the motors are driven: pulse width vs sine wave power modulation.
So I am pretty much correct. You'd be replacing quite a bit more than the ESC itself by replacing the board containing the ESC. FC is a significant component. Power board seems to be a strange name for that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost