DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs Air Force C17

Mavic19963

Reactions
Greetings to all Mavic pilots in Delaware! Had something happen to me about two months ago. I was flying the MP in a field close to my home. When I brought her down for landing, I was startled by a very load noise. Thought it might be a tractor trailer entering our community. But the noise got loader and loader. I looked to the west and saw an Air Force C17 cargo jet bearing down on my location. It's altitude was so low that I thought it was in a crash mode. I kind of side stepped to the left as to run from assumed crash landing. Then I saw the aircraft nose up to gain altitude. Flew right over my head about 500' in altitude. KGED is nearby, but didn't see any NOTAM's. When I looked at the sectional map, there is apparently an MTR. Probably a touch and go from KGED. Dover AFB is about 30 miles from where I live (Ellendale). Wonder if the flight crew got a laugh out of that.

Nice... a C-17 is huge isn't it? That would have sent most people into full soil mode.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Yeah it's huge! Scared the living daylights out of me! We have a lot of military training routes with C17 and C5 Galaxies in our area. Their beautiful to watch. Just for the record, I was outside of restricted air space.

Unrelated to UAV flying. I saw a stealth bomber before they were released in the desert over the white sands bombing range. It was about 200 feet AGL. It was so quiet that I didn't hear it until it was about a football field away. It was a really really freaky experience. Didn't know what it was but it was cooooool

Reactions: Mavic19963
I was on Rt 1 a few years ago when a C5 took off, it was so low and loud I almost drove off the road Lol

Nice... a C-17 is huge isn't it? That would have sent most people into full soil mode.
Greetings to all Mavic pilots in Delaware! Had something happen to me about two months ago. I was flying the MP in a field close to my home. When I brought her down for landing, I was startled by a very load noise. Thought it might be a tractor trailer entering our community. But the noise got loader and loader. I looked to the west and saw an Air Force C17 cargo jet bearing down on my location. It's altitude was so low that I thought it was in a crash mode. I kind of side stepped to the left as to run from assumed crash landing. Then I saw the aircraft nose up to gain altitude. Flew right over my head about 500' in altitude. KGED is nearby, but didn't see any NOTAM's. When I looked at the sectional map, there is apparently an MTR. Probably a touch and go from KGED. Dover AFB is about 30 miles from where I live (Ellendale). Wonder if the flight crew got a laugh out of that.
Unrelated to UAV flying. I saw a stealth bomber before they were released in the desert over the white sands bombing range. It was about 200 feet AGL. It was so quiet that I didn't hear it until it was about a football field away. It was a really really freaky experience. Didn't know what it was but it was cooooool
Wow! A stealth bomber? Got a similar experience with a F14 Tomcat doing a supersonic flyby while onboard the USS Eisenhower. Then a bombing run from an A6 Intruder. Eight years of honorable naval service. Best and most memorable time of my life!

Reactions: m0j0
I was an air traffic controller there at Dover AFB 1982-1985. It was all C5's back then. Massive aircraft!

I am about 4 miles and directly under the path of runway 5/23 of a small regional airport. We are 15 miles from two army airfields. The army and the airforce reserve use the regional airport as a sort of OLF, so I get a whole lot of low flying traffic over the house where I fly. Helos are the biggest majority but I have had some C130s and CV-22s come over.

When we lived on the Army base in Darwin back in the 80s B52s staging through the RAAF base used to buzz us at 500 feet AGL. That used to rattle the windows.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929