DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs GDU o2?

PhotographerTom

Reactions
I'm looking to get into drone photography and was looking at getting a Mavic Pro and wondering how it compares to GDU o2? I'm thinking the Mavic Pro has more features. However completely green here.

Actually while I have you, for a first time drone, I just noticed they released a Mavic Pro Platinum. Is this still good for someone just getting started?

the mavic pro is my first drone, it's a joy to fly, it's small, the video footage from it is amazing.

the platinum was an extra £100 and gives an extra 3 minutes flight time, which i can honestly say didnt sway me, as i'm using this with three batteries so can realistically have one on charge in the car whilst i'm flying the other two.

it's also supposed to be 60% quieter, but the mavic is hardly a loud drone.

I'm looking to get into drone photography and was looking at getting a Mavic Pro and wondering how it compares to GDU o2? I'm thinking the Mavic Pro has more features. However completely green here.

Actually while I have you, for a first time drone, I just noticed they released a Mavic Pro Platinum. Is this still good for someone just getting started?
The GDU seems kind of limited for the price.

The o2 looks like a butt-ugly clone of a Mavic.
By "getting into" do you have any experience as a photographer?
Do you need 4K video?
Do you need the range/flight time?
I ask because you should get what suits your needs and budget.
The Spark is a fun bird to fly that takes 1080 HD video and stills.
Much smaller and much cheaper than the Mavic - but also limited in some respects to the Mavic.
There are other more well known drones just as cheap such as the Parrot drones.
But anyway you're asking for opinions on a drone that's available for pre-order. It isn't even "real" yet.
Not sure what you expect folks on a DJI Mavic forum to say as far as comparison on something nobody is likely to have.

Video Transmission Distance: 0.6 mi

that's what would stop the purchase of the GDU for me.

...But anyway you're asking for opinions on a drone that's available for pre-order. It isn't even "real" yet.
Not sure what you expect folks on a DJI Mavic forum to say as far as comparison on something nobody is likely to have.
All your questions/statements are spot on except your last one. DJI sold out their original stock of the MPP and they are now on back-order. I don't know how many are in use now but I see postings on this forum from owners of the MPP.

I love your Orwell quote BTW.

All your questions/statements are spot on except your last one. DJI sold out their original stock of the MPP and they are now on back-order. I don't know how many are in use now but I see postings on this forum from owners of the MPP.

I love your Orwell quote BTW.

i think he meant the GDU, nobody is likely to have it.. they aren't due for sale until mid november.

i think he meant the GDU, nobody is likely to have it.. they aren't due for sale until mid november.
Yep, you are right. I have been reading about so many MPP suppliers having them on back order that I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I looked at a couple reviews on the o2 and it looks more like a collapsible Spark. It is going to be interesting watching one Chinese company fighting (and copying) another Chinese company.

Yep, you are right. I have been reading about so many MPP suppliers having them on back order that I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I looked at a couple reviews on the o2 and it looks more like a collapsible Spark. It is going to be interesting watching one Chinese company fighting (and copying) another Chinese company.
That range though!!

.6 miles video transmission is shockingly low. When you consider the Mavics range

It’s a spark competitior imo, and loses that one in price.

Reactions: Brojon
the mavic pro is my first drone, it's a joy to fly, it's small, the video footage from it is amazing.

the platinum was an extra £100 and gives an extra 3 minutes flight time, which i can honestly say didnt sway me, as i'm using this with three batteries so can realistically have one on charge in the car whilst i'm flying the other two.

it's also supposed to be 60% quieter, but the mavic is hardly a loud drone.

Are you able to charge a battery full before you run out of juice of the other 2 batteries? How long does it take to charge each battery?

A bit poetic justice when you think about it! ha ha ha

The o2 looks like a butt-ugly clone of a Mavic.
By "getting into" do you have any experience as a photographer?
Do you need 4K video?
Do you need the range/flight time?
I ask because you should get what suits your needs and budget.
The Spark is a fun bird to fly that takes 1080 HD video and stills.
Much smaller and much cheaper than the Mavic - but also limited in some respects to the Mavic.
There are other more well known drones just as cheap such as the Parrot drones.
But anyway you're asking for opinions on a drone that's available for pre-order. It isn't even "real" yet.

Thank you, honestly I'm looking for pro's and con's. I've been to a few drone meetup groups and noticed most drone operators had more than one drone and many had different brands. So figured it can't hurt to ask.

4k would be awesome, having range would be nice (but not clear how good you can fly these with just the controllers view?). I agree with someone elses comment about the the GDU, compared to the Mavic, it's ugly. So it didn't score points with me there. But I'm a novice so looking for good nudge to push me over on the Mavic.

Speaking of which, so would you spend the extra $100 on the Platinum?

Thanks!

That range though!!

.6 miles video transmission is shockingly low. When you consider the Mavics range

It’s a spark competitior imo, and loses that one in price.
I saw that they are coming out with a version 2 that will closely match the Mavic's range. It will be interesting to see if they have the same startup bugs that the original Mavic had. I like the concept of their machine but would give them six months to work out the details.

I also read that their initial customer service sucks, just another way they are copying DJI.

That range though!!

Not sure why these other companies can't get it together, but no other company even comes close to DJI's video transmission range, and the Mavic is the king of the hill. If money's an issue, get a refurb.

Thank you, honestly I'm looking for pro's and con's. I've been to a few drone meetup groups and noticed most drone operators had more than one drone and many had different brands. So figured it can't hurt to ask.

4k would be awesome, having range would be nice (but not clear how good you can fly these with just the controllers view?). I agree with someone elses comment about the the GDU, compared to the Mavic, it's ugly. So it didn't score points with me there. But I'm a novice so looking for good nudge to push me over on the Mavic.

Speaking of which, so would you spend the extra $100 on the Platinum?

Thanks!
I just crashed my old Mavic and indeed spent the extra money for the Platinum this go round.

That
That range though!!

That's using the app only, with the controller (the 'Plus' version) the video/control range is about the same as the Mavic (~4 miles). It looks like an interesting variation on the foldable camera drone, but it's got to prove itself in the market before threatening DJI's position.
If nothing else a bit of competition could be good for us poor suffering consumers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov