DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs Mavic Zoom

Gary Gaz

Reactions
I crashed my Phantom 4 today and tomorrow I'm going to go get a Mavic. Knowing that when the Phantom is fixed I'll have that available I'm wondering if I should get a Mavic Pro or Zoom. How good is the quality of the Zoom? Does the zoom feature make it worth the loss of video quality? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: dirkclod
I have a zoom, and to be honest I don't use the zoom anywhere as near as much that I thought I would. I'm happy with the picture quality, but I suspect you are in a quandry.

There is a disadvantage to the zoom in that if you use ND filters to give you correct exposure at fixed shutter speed then exposure changes as you zoom in or out.

The other point I'd make is that I often forget I HAVE a zoom! This is because I can fly the drone to wherever I need to to get footage and photo's. I have rarely needed to use it to get closer to a subject. The Hitchcock perspective zoom special mode I used once and thought - meh.

My thoughts here are that you would find the same as me - the zoom isn't as useful as you think. The reason I purchased it is because it was cheaper than the M2P and I was on a budget. I don't regret my choice, as it's a great drone and I've got lots great footage from it.

Come the Mavic 3 I'm going to save some pennies and get the version with the better sensor (assuming the zoom version is on offer of course).

Hi,
I am the opposite side. I have a M2Zoom and use the Zoom feature on just about every flight.

I think it all depends on the type of pictures or video you are trying to make. The zoom is outstanding for the 48mp super-res still photos. And for video, again depending on the type of footage you are after, the zoom ability to change focal length and the corresponding parrallex of the subject vs. the background is outstanding and I think impossible to mimic with the fixed lens.

Yes, the M2P has a better image sensor so overall provides higher quality imagery out of the camera. Are you just doing youtube videos? if so, what resolution. that might be something to take into consideration.

Are you looking for a device to be able to inspect objects? Or take images of wildlife? then the zoom would be the hands down winner.

For me, I am not a professional photographer doing commercial projects. I am a hobbyist and I enjoy publishing landscape/cityscape videos as well as offroad racing videos. I debated the same question back and forth. I chose the zoom and couldn't be happier with my choice. The reach of the zoom is pretty substantial, especially if you are doing 1080p format which gives you up to 4x zoom. I can really get in from a distance.

Here is a video where a buddy asked me to check out his house. I put it together as a gimmic video, but at around the 1min mark you can see how far the zoom can get in. This is from an altitude of about 300ft. There is the added 'magnifier' that was done post processing but the overhead wide view than zooming down into the driveway area is 100% the zoom function, nothing done in the video afterwards. Hope this helps.

A Pro, i’m partial that’s what I have. :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

I crashed my Phantom 4 today and tomorrow I'm going to go get a Mavic. Knowing that when the Phantom is fixed I'll have that available I'm wondering if I should get a Mavic Pro or Zoom. How good is the quality of the Zoom? Does the zoom feature make it worth the loss of video quality? Thanks in advance.

If you are not a professional photographer then go for the Zoom. The ability to stand off and take photos/video should not be underestimated. A lot of people will tell you just to fly closer but that’s a no brainer. The general public dosen’t like drones. They don’t like to see them and they don’t like to hear them. The further you are away from your subject the better. The quality of the photos and video from the Zoom are more than adequate for most armature photographers.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I have a zoom......but I made the choice because I am not a photographer of any sort, professional or otherwise. I just like flying from an RC back ground and being able to take "decent" pics is quite the plus as well as the extra sensors give me a little more confidence in case I need them or when my wife wants to fly.

WDK

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. Also the search function (magnifying glass icon upper right) is a great way to find answers to many of the questions a "newbie" will have. We were all "newbies" at one point

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian