DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs. Platinum

LTWATCH

Reactions
I am new to this drone thing. Been waiting a while to purchase. mainly for viewing roofs for work, and some fun to. R/C and full scale flyer from many years ago.
So I got a nice bundle from B&H with a Mavic Pro. Just opened box a couple of hours ago, read all instructions, and discover a bad battery that was in drone. So brand new and already having issues. Bad omen in my book. So I can probably spend about $300 more and get the Platinum model. I figure it is newer, but not yet proven. Am I over reacting to an issue of it might be "old stock", or is it common for this stuff to happen. And if you were me, would you insist on getting a "newer" model of the drone. I don't have money to burn, it is just that sinking feeling when something expensive like this is faulty from the start.
Since there are seasoned veterans here, I would appreciate some educated opinions.
Thank You, Larry T.

The batteries do sometimes become damaged when sitting idle for long periods of time. That's not a sign that something is wrong with the drone itself though. If saving money is important, then stick with the Mavic Pro. It's nearly as good as the Mavic Pro Platinum.

Reactions: LTWATCH
The batteries do sometimes become damaged when sitting idle for long periods of time. That's not a sign that something is wrong with the drone itself though. If saving money is important, then stick with the Mavic Pro. It's nearly as good as the Mavic Pro Platinum.
Nearly? My MP's I think, are actually better than the MPP. Less issues and are reliable on the right FW. Batteries?, They are the same. Buy a MP battery and just put a MPP skin on it.
Hey @msinger, there is a thought. Just sell MPP battery Skins for the regular MP batteries? They are more readily available..

A bad battery is not an indication of a systematic issue. There's no "bad omen" about Mavic Pro. Moreover, since FW on Platinums and Alpines cannot be downgraded, you have at least some chance of receiving a downgradable Mavic Pro, and you may want to enjoy the fully capable Mavic, not the artificially crippled one, go with Pro. Doesn't B&H have a good return/exchange policy?

Reactions: Drone Master
A bad battery is not an indication of a systematic issue. There's no "bad omen" about Mavic Pro. Moreover, since FW on Platinums and Alpines cannot be downgraded, you have at least some chance of receiving a downgradable Mavic Pro, and you may want to enjoy the fully capable Mavic, not the artificially crippled one, go with Pro. Doesn't B&H have a good return/exchange policy?

No quite sure what you mean by a downgradable Mavic? was there a mavic prior to mavic pro? And B&H is on holiday, open Sunday, but they don't strike me as generous on a return. need to pay shipping back, etc.

was there a mavic prior to mavic pro?

No. But the firmware installed on Mavic cripples ("sandboxes") it; you don't get full cababilities of it. By downgrading FW yourself, you can remove that brick they placed under the gas pedal, figuratively speaking. With Platinum and Alpine, you're SOL.

However, some people are ok with living in DJI "jail".

I guess I need to see what their offer may be. Somehow I don't think they are generous about these thiings? I could be wrong. I just figured the mavic's have been sitting for a bit, and the platinums are newer. Newer is
No. But the firmware installed on Mavic cripples ("sandboxes") it; you don't get full cababilities of it. By downgrading FW yourself, you can remove that brick they placed under the gas pedal, figuratively speaking. With Platinum and Alpine, you're SOL.

However, some people are ok with living in DJI "jail".

I think I follow you now. Is the firmware fully downgradable with the MP? I don't plan on racing it, just a tool for seeing down on my homes I inspect. But there will be times I am near an airport, but figure I won't be on any approach areas, nor will I be flying above 100 feet or so. Drones are just fodder for the news to pick on. They exaggerate everything, and love to make it "dramatic". We live in a "too much information" age in my eyes. Sorry, off topic :)

Have them exchange the battery and be done with it. Good chance your MP has one of the later firmwares and cannot be downgraded either.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Is the firmware fully downgradable with the MP?

Only if it was manufactured before September and the latest FW 1.4.0100 is not installed on it.

But there will be times I am near an airport, but figure I won't be on any approach areas, nor will I be flying above 100 feet or so.

If you're within NFZ, it won't even take off. To be able to disable NFZ restriction, you need FW 1.3.0700 or lower. (You can also request a specific NFZ unlock from DJI, but this doesn't always work.)

Did you try to charge it? What status does it show with its lights?
Yes, 2 batteries were fine, third turned hub LED red, and had 2 faint lights on battery. Called DJI, said it was defective. They will replace, but opp. to get Platinum if worth it. I am not seeing many compelling reasons to spend an extra $300 for the platinum. Granted better props and motors, but are they worth the real cost of $300 I'll pay. If it was only $100, yes, but I believe the new difference is more like $300-$400 at B&H.

Only if it was manufactured before September and the latest FW 1.4.0100 is not installed on it.

If you're within NFZ, it won't even take off. To be able to disable NFZ restriction, you need FW 1.3.0700 or lower. (You can also request a specific NFZ unlock from DJI, but this doesn't always work.)

Is there a way to get the NFZ areas from the FAA? Or I could try to go to my local airports and see if they'll tell me, but airport managers aren't exactly easy to get a hold of for something so small to them...

Yes, 2 batteries were fine, third turned hub LED red, and had 2 faint lights on battery. Called DJI, said it was defective. They will replace, but opp. to get Platinum if worth it. I am not seeing many compelling reasons to spend an extra $300 for the platinum. Granted better props and motors, but are they worth the real cost of $300 I'll pay. If it was only $100, yes, but I believe the new difference is more like $300-$400 at B&H.

Imho, $300 extra for Platinum is not justifiable.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54