DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs Spark - Crazy overexposed images. Help!!

TxMavPro2017

Reactions
Greetings everyone,

I had a question I wanted to put forth to the group to see if anyone can offer any insight to my recent experience. I have had great success putting together images using the new Sphere function using my Spark. Here recently, the Sphere/Pano function was now made available on the Mavic Pro. So I was anxious to put it to the test.

Here's where the disappointment sets in. I sent the Mavic Pro up in the air and initiated the Sphere/Pano function. It held steady as a rock, rotated and took images at varying angles just like the Spark did. I brought her down when completed and began the process of stitching the images together using the DJI software. The end result, a very overexposed Sphere.

Now then, I was shooting in 'Auto mode (just as I had been with the Spark). But the Mavic Pro nowhere near came close to accurate meter readings on some of the images.All things being equal (both on auto mode), I had expected somewhat close to the same results. Without any tweaking in Photoshop, with both Panos coming straight out of the gate, the Spark won hands down.

Is there something I should be checking within the settings (short of going to Manual mode)? I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you folks might have to this end. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Just a quickie here. Were u shooting stock standard without a ND filter ?

Just a quickie here. Were u shooting stock standard without a ND filter ?
Good question. Actually, I was shooting stock standard on everything with the Spark without any filter. With the Mavic Pro, everything was stock standard but I was using a Polar Pro ND 8 filter.

I tried doing the Sphere mode again today with a ND 16 filter on my Mavic Pro in hopes that it would garner better results. NOPE. Almost every image taken in Sphere mode is way overexposed. When I looked at my iPad as it was taking the shots, it seemed as though it was/is set up to take the shots too quickly. Almost allowing the camera no time to adjust for metering. Very unhappy with this 'feature'. And again, works like a charm on my Spark. Not so much (for me) on my Mavic Pro. At wits end.

It is never wise to use ND filters while shooting pano's. I make a lot of them (with my Mavic, Spark and Inspire 2) but usually with Autopilot and sometimes with Hangar 360 (usually only for Facebook).
If you see the settings on Autopilot, you'll notice that all pano's are shot in 4/3. This is best for stitching. Also the lighting is set. Mostly with EV -7. This is that all images are exposed the same. So, if you using an ND filter, your camera is not working as programmed and basically ends up in ruining your pano.
So, if you're using DJI GO4, no filters and let the app do the work (don't forget to put your picture format back to 16/9).

And......... NEVER use ND filters. They're most of the time useless

I've tried shooting with and without ND filters for panos. End result is a ridiculously overexposed image. It seems to take shots so rapidly that it doesn't afford the camera any time to meter. And as I mentioned above, worked without any problems using the Spark. Not sure what's going on? Single shots using the Mavic Pro are fine. No over exposure issues. But the Sphere/pano.......horrible!!!

Ok, if you can make "normal" images but not pano's, then it could be a clutch. Had that also. If you are a wise person, you use iOS. Download in that case Hangar 360. It is for free and also web service is free for unlimited pano's. Is you are an Android person.... you're on your own

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa