DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro - Wifi?

DJI Ferrari

Reactions
So I looked online and found mixed answers and Now I don't know what to believe, I also went to dji and their answer was just a bunch of numbers and other stuff I did not understand.
I know the spark uses wifi and I am asking because I heard that some of the more advanced DJI UAVs use some other type of transmission type that wasn't WiFi and I am wondering if this is what the Mavic uses.

The reason why I am asking is because where I now live, there is so many WiFi signals and other things that would if not just weaken a WiFi signal to the point I don't feel safe flying. This is why I am asking. Basically I am in a trailer park with about maybe 75 trailers close together except in the back which is where I am, they have one guy who has a Aspire 2 and he is next door and has only flown once he said because all the metal and crazy interference.

So I looked online and found mixed answers and Now I don't know what to believe, I also went to dji and their answer was just a bunch of numbers and other stuff I did not understand.
I know the spark uses wifi and I am asking because I heard that some of the more advanced DJI UAVs use some other type of transmission type that wasn't WiFi and I am wondering if this is what the Mavic uses.

The reason why I am asking is because where I now live, there is so many WiFi signals and other things that would if not just weaken a WiFi signal to the point I don't feel safe flying. This is why I am asking. Basically I am in a trailer park with about maybe 75 trailers close together except in the back which is where I am, they have one guy who has a Aspire 2 and he is next door and has only flown once he said because all the metal and crazy interference.

The Mavic uses Ocusync wifi, it’s essentially wifi without the error checking back and forth that happens in normal wifi, due to this the range and quality is better, that said I wouldn’t fly over any grouping of metallic objects as this can interfere with the compass resulting in a possible flyaway situation.

Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 use what DJI calls Ocusync (1 and 2 respectively) which is very different from WiFi and closer to COFDM broadcast transmission systems. It's heaps better than anything else on the market.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Hi DJI Ferrari

Hi this question does get asked a lot, and there are many replies on this site.
Basically consider this, the range of signals MP uses fall within the range 2.4 GHz to 2.483 GHz, and so yes this is within the band width that most domestic WiFi signals are transmitted.

However think of all the WiFi routers that are within range of each other in a neighbourhood, very rarely do you get crossover (interference), same with the MP, when using the 2.4Ghz bandwidth, the signals are digitally encoded and embedded in the 2.4Ghz carrier signal.

So you could argue that whilst a WiFi signal can not control your drone, a very powerful WiFi transmitter's carrier signal could interfere with the drone, but in my experience it rarely occurs.

You can look at the 2.4 Ghz band within the DJI Go 4 app, the various usable bandwidths are displayed and also the signal strength at on a given channel, the Go 4 app by default automatically chooses a channel, you can set it to select a channel of your choosing.

Here in the UK the preferred channel for WiFi tends to be Ch 6 or Ch 11, check that at your local and choose one far away from those preferred default channels.

Waylander

Reactions: Charles Keen
If he’s only flown once due to all the ‘crazy interference’ then surely he’s doing something wrong, either trying to take off from concrete (which has metal reinforcement in) or too near trailers. The best advice is to find an open space in which to practice flying, that way there’s less chance of hitting anyone or anything while you become proficient with your aircraft and controls.

Yea he took off from concrete, he is new to the drone world too, I just talked to him and he said he has never flown before but his brother has. When I asked him why he chose the aspire 2 if he is new he told me he was told by his brother that it was one of the best and his thought was that that meant it would I guess more sensors and be more easy to fly, but I am kinda worried about that beautiful aspire because when I first saw him take off, his movements were a bit eratic, and this is is when I asked him why he stopped and he said " I think the wifi is interfering with the signal or something" Those were his exact words, I asked him if he registered and he said that was overruled by the supreme court, so this guy is both uninformed and like a child trying to fly a rocketship compared to me.

To the guys who informed me of the new Ocusync, thank you so much and marry christmas.

having loads of sensors does not make a UAV easy to fly they are there hopefully to prevent collisions with other objects such as walls, trees, people etc the UAV still needs to be flown by you the pilot i worried about my £1200 mavic getting damaged when i first flew it never mind an inspire 2 your friend is very lucky to own one hope he learns to fly it properly

Last edited:
As others have stated, you will have more trouble with steel (including rebar in concrete) than WiFi interference. 99% of my flights are in densely populated areas (in parks or over water) and I have yet to have a problem with interference. I often have a flashing controller icon on Go 4 which indicates some interference but it does not affect the flight. I have had to relocate my launch point due to rebar in concrete. Now I hand launch and no longer have that problem.

Reactions: DJI Ferrari
Yea well he is new and the only other drone he ever flew he told ,me was a rc helicopter from radioshack and he is flying it without a phone too. Im not worried about me crashing as I have many many many hours of dji spark exp and though this Mavic is different I am a very responsible and skilled pilot but my neighbor who is a new pilot who decided to get and use the aspire 2 as his 1st drone I am worried because there are many houses around, lol I just heard him yell Fu** just now as I type this in my room lol, Thanks for your honesty and advice though, Im gonna cut this short and go see what he is cussing about now. Im thinking I need to skool him lol.

As others have stated, you will have more trouble with steel (including rebar in concrete) than WiFi interference. 99% of my flights are in densely populated areas (in parks or over water) and I have yet to have a problem with interference. I often have a flashing controller icon on Go 4 which indicates some interference but it does not affect the flight. I have had to relocate my launch point due to rebar in concrete. Now I hand launch and no longer have that problem.
well i lived in a trailor park before and had little interference, I think my neighbor is having trouble because one he has an inspire 2 with no flight exp, he is also flying without a phone and he told me the only drone he ever flew before the inspire was a radioshack rc helicopter.

...I think my neighbor is having trouble because one he has an inspire 2 with no flight exp, he is also flying without a phone...
Except for the lack of error messages, your neighbor may be better off flying without a phone for a while. It forces him to pay attention to the Inspire and learn stick control. Later, when he has a display and gets confused by all the options, he will at least have flying experience.

Reactions: Thealien
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout