DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Range Test

stealle

Reactions
Anyone know of a legit range test? I found a couple YouTube videos but they look fake. I find it hard to believe that someone who owns a pre-production Mavic would only post a range test but not have any footage of actually having the drone in hand.

Anyway, I'm very interested in the range of this thing. If it can even do 2 miles near power lines and residential homes that would be awesome. I live on the edge of a small town that is surrounded by wide open corn and soybean fields. I literally have lots of houses looking out the back of my house and nothing but corn and soybean fields looking out the front of my house. So I have plenty of interference right around me, but once in the air I'll have plenty of open safe area to fly.

Last edited:
I saw at least one YouTube test (that I believed) and it indicated that the full 4+ mile range was reached with no problems with control or the video feed. Unfortunately I don't remember which tests they were so I can't point you to them.

Longer range is cool, but penetration is better IMO.... I hope this new downlink system gives better penetration through trees buildings etc that would be my interest.

Also, technically, you are supposed to maintain line of sight :rolleyes:

Longer range is cool, but penetration is better IMO.... I hope this new downlink system gives better penetration through trees buildings etc that would be my interest.

Yea, what is funny is we now have a drone so small that you probably can't see it for more than a few hundred yards/meters but yet you can fly it out past 4 miles. Go figure. But I'm sure all the little choir boys and girls on here will be obeying the law and keeping them within VLOS.

Reactions: Gimpy and Jixxer

"I can see it. It's right there. You can't see it? Keep looking, I'm flying straight towards us. " :D

Reactions: ___ and BD0G
I'm sure most of you have already done this, but I just did it for the first time. I drew a 4.3mi radius around my home using google maps to see exactly how far I could go (with eagle eyes and perfect RF conditions). It blows my mind. For the naysayers, I won't actually do it. I'd crap my pants from fear of losing it here in urban Florida.

I have vacation property in TN right on the edge of a 1000' vertical drop on the Cumberland Plateau. The closest neighbor is over a mile away, and the closest thing to civilization is the banjo sound coming from the valley below. Should be an ideal location to test out the range.

Reactions: Theron
I'm sure most of you have already done this, but I just did it for the first time. I drew a 4.3mi radius around my home using google maps to see exactly how far I could go (with eagle eyes and perfect RF conditions). It blows my mind. For the naysayers, I won't actually do it. I'd crap my pants from fear of losing it here in urban Florida.

I have vacation property in TN right on the edge of a 1000' vertical drop on the Cumberland Plateau. The closest neighbor is over a mile away, and the closest thing to civilization is the banjo sound coming from the valley below. Should be an ideal location to test out the range.

How did you go about this?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm pretty sure that once it starts shipping, we will all find that Geo fencing will limit it to 500 metres max.
Flying BLOS is foolish and irresponsible, in any drone!

I'm pretty sure that once it starts shipping, we will all find that Geo fencing will limit it to 500 metres max.
Flying BLOS is foolish and irresponsible, in any drone!

Why did you have to add that last sentence? Does it make you feel better to lecture the community?

Reactions: Mavikhan and Gimpy
I could use the range. Maybe not 4.3 miles but most of it. I have an about 1300 acre farm with the furthest extremity being a little over 2 miles away. Given my circumstances LOS flying won't likely be a concern, at least once I get some practice in. I should have the range to overfly my neighbors farmyards to see what they're up to but I'm thinking that would be rather rude...

I could use the range. Maybe not 4.3 miles but most of it. I have an about 1300 acre farm with the furthest extremity being a little over 2 miles away. Given my circumstances LOS flying won't likely be a concern, at least once I get some practice in. I should have the range to overfly my neighbors farmyards to see what they're up to but I'm thinking that would be rather rude...
And illegal!

And illegal!
Which makes me wonder about the uncountable number of drone videos of people filming uncountable numbers of individuals in urban and recreational settings? Maybe in the near future we're all going to be like Sweden which proposes banning all drone video other than military and police interests.

Let's not get nasty now.
You know there will be idiots who will fly out of site right away.
I don't get why there is always someone who has to be Captain Obvious and recite the law. That doesn't happen on the Corvette forum. Corvette owner, "I was able to increase my horse power by 10% just by doing xyz." Captain obvious, "your an idiot if you go over the speed limit!"

I have had this feeling the Mavic range test were taken over water where we all know provides a much further distance then what takes place over land. Now I won't be upset if it lacks a 4.3 mile range, but I would have an issue if the RTH comes on at 2 miles out over land which is far below the advertised distance.

Reactions: Theron
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851