Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Received a Death Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Hat

Reactions
Earlier that day.....
Brought MP @ work yesterday to DEMO it to my friend in the parking lot @ work and he was really impressed by it. Flew it a few minutes in B mode and few more minutes in other modes. Everything went well and am really proud of the MP performance. So in short, I have a few more juice from the battery I was using.
After getting home from work yesterday I decided to use the remaining juice of the battery.
Went to my garage opened the garage door took off from my driveway and flew it @ around 200+ ft Alt around the hood. Then this couple walked by pushing a baby stroller across the street from my driveway, I can see that they are looking or trying to see where MP is @ that moment while walking. Then the lady started asking is that my drone, I said yes and added just flying around. And out of the blue in an intimidating tone of voice @ least as it sounded to me..she said "Don't ever fly in my backyard or I will shoot it down". I pretty sure that I did not say anything after that...kept my cool and focus and safely bring MP back down w/c @ that time the battery already giving me a warning. Closed the garaged door and went inside. Disclosure I'm not a very confrontational person.

Did I do something wrong?
What would you do if you were in my shoes @ that point?
How would you handle it?

First off, is it legal where you are?

Figure that out first.

De-escalate. Explain that it's a wide angle cinema lens, not a spy machine. Show him the view if you can. Do you know where he lives? Send him a polite note.

If he stays belligerent remind him that discharging a firearm in the town is illegal. (I'm assuming it is).

A simple, polite "**** off" is all that's required there.

However I'd probably have been just as surprised/taken-aback as you and said nothing.

I'd love to tell some people to ******* But it's better to be an ambassador - show them what you can see on the screen and turn them into a friend and ally.

Telling them to *-***causes them to look into ways to make your life miserable.

First off, is it legal where you are?

Figure that out first.

De-escalate. Explain that it's a wide angle cinema lens, not a spy machine. Show him the view if you can. Do you know where he lives? Send him a polite note.

If he stays belligerent remind him that discharging a firearm in the town is illegal. (I'm assuming it is).

I am w/ in legal rights and no FZ restrictions, VLOS and fully FAA Fly For Fun compliant.

So, right now I'm in full research (arm myself w/ legal knowledge) mode of my new hobby.

Earlier that day.....
Brought MP @ work yesterday to DEMO it to my friend in the parking lot @ work and he was really impressed by it. Flew it a few minutes in B mode and few more minutes in other modes. Everything went well and am really proud of the MP performance. So in short, I have a few more juice from the battery I was using.
After getting home from work yesterday I decided to use the remaining juice of the battery.
Went to my garage opened the garage door took off from my driveway and flew it @ around 200+ ft Alt around the hood. Then this couple walked by pushing a baby stroller across the street from my driveway, I can see that they are looking or trying to see where MP is @ that moment while walking. Then the lady started asking is that my drone, I said yes and added just flying around. And out of the blue in an intimidating tone of voice @ least as it sounded to me..she said "Don't ever fly in my backyard or I will shoot it down". I pretty sure that I did not say anything after that...kept my cool and focus and safely bring MP back down w/c @ that time the battery already giving me a warning. Closed the garaged door and went inside. Disclosure I'm not a very confrontational person.

How would you handle it?
I think you handled it like a gentleman and a man, well played good sir.

Any individual that makes firearms threats, especially when accompanied by children is not a stable individual or the type or person you would want to interact with. I would not have done anything different. If you wanted to make a precedent (to protect yourself in the future if these weirdos live near you) you could have called the law and reported a couple with small children making gun threats but probably would not end the best.
In Wyoming you do not make threats about infringing on peoples rights.

I feel your pain, special bump into those kind of people, it is hard to open there mind, so I will just fly it some where.

Reactions: Former Member
I also think you were the adult in this matter and implemented the correct " silence is golden " move.
I'm not sure about laws where you are but here in Ontario , Canada if someone threatens you , and I see her comment as a threat. You can contact the law and if you explain you fear for your safety or life due to her comment and that she knows where you reside. You can request a " peace bond " where a court appearance will keep her away from your property or yourself regardless of where you are when you incounter her at a court determined distance and timeframe or she will be charged and possibly jailed. I know this is an extreme measure , but no one should be subjected to a potential life threading comment to you or your property/possessions. Just make sure you were within your legal rights while flying where you are if you go that route if applicable where you reside.
Personally I do not fly in any populated areas , neighborhoods or so so areas. I prefer wide open space without interference by humanoids .
Good luck :)

I pretty sure that I did not say anything after that...kept my cool and focus and safely bring MP back down

Absolutely the right thing to do. If she interrupted you while you were flying within your rights, any damage done would have been her fault.

Just IMHO, I try to keep it out of my neighborhood, or if Im flying over other peoples property, at least 350' or higher. If they cant hear it, they wont even know its there. At 200' you can hear and see it and some people just dont like drones flying over them.

Needless to say, she sounds mentally ill, and you cant can't reason with crazy and you can't argue with stupid. You will lose every time.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Thanks for all the your advises Pilots, really appreciated it.
You guys can rest assured that I will not be the one whose ruining it for everyone w/ our hobby.
Heck! we're just having our little fun 27 mins or less every time.
For a Sr citizen guy like me I don't want to ruin that!

I think you handled it well. Either don't engage/escalate, or see if they are reasonable people that want to have an adult conversation about drones.

I've only had one slightly negative comment while I was flying, and was able to assuage their concern with polite conversation.

The neighbor definitely could have been a lot less threatening but if I see another mavic hovering in my back yard (ot hundreds of feet in the air) then I might not take to kindly to it either. I don't fly in the neighborhood I live in or fly or neighborhoods in general just because I don't want the possibility of it falling on someone's property who has that attitude or possibly hurting someone.

Earlier that day.....

How would you handle it?
so happy people cant give me that threat legally in the UK haha! best stay out of their way to avoid any trouble

You did the right thing. Unfortunately, the climate is such that we have to try our best to be good ambassadors. Its one thing if someone is willing to listen to logic, reason, and laws. But its hard to deal with people that are emotional.

I've only had one confrontation (flying legally) and it was very minor. Hoping the good luck continues...

Want to throw some attitude back without being mean.... tell you you will certain do that and then ask for her address so that you can comply. Say it really, really nicely. Wait for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada