DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic still photographs for print publication?

RickC

Reactions
I would like to use the Mavic Pro that I already own for producing high-quality still images for print publication; perhaps for images print up to 6" x 9" at 240/300 dpi. This would be photographs taken under good conditions, full-daylight, etc. etc.

My first couple of test runs are producing less than stellar results.

Has anyone out there been able to produce publication-quality stills from the Mavic?
I would like to hear about your experiences and get some advice.

I would like to use the Mavic Pro that I already own for producing high-quality still images for print publication; perhaps for images print up to 6" x 9" at 240/300 dpi. This would be photographs taken under good conditions, full-daylight, etc. etc.

Has anyone out there been able to produce publication-quality stills from the Mavic?
Check out the photography section, there are quite a few pictures that would do the trick.

why not do a short hi-res movie and pull the perfect frame shot from it
much better

why not do a short hi-res movie and pull the perfect frame shot from it
much better
Actually not. Though fair images destined for internet publication can be had this way, even at 4k the resolution is not going to be as good as a dedicated 3000 x 4000 .dng, especially for print publication.

Just had one published in a local magazine.

First, unless you have very good light, raise your ISO a little (200-300) max, to speed the shutter up some. Remember, the Mavic is a moving platform even though it moves very little.

Otherwise shoot at ISO 100, and shoot .dng. You can coax some amazing images out of a Mavic .dng in post.

Expect to do a little post processing as this is how you get stellar images out of any digital media.

Check out the photography section, there are quite a few pictures that would do the trick.

So, at the risk of being disingenuous, I would like to discuss with someone who has actually published. For my application, sharp and in focus, with little noise up to print size, is super important.

Just had one published in a local magazine.

Congrats! what size on the final print?

First, unless you have very good light, raise your ISO a little (200-300) max, to speed the shutter up some. Remember, the Mavic is a moving platform even though it moves very little.

I am thinking about staying as low as possible in ISO, take a burst of several images, and hope that one has no movement.

Otherwise shoot at ISO 100, and shoot .dng. You can coax some amazing images out of a Mavic .dng in post.

Expect to do a little post processing as this is how you get stellar images out of any digital media.

I do a lot of post processing, mostly in Lightroom. Still and all, I can see a lot of noise in the shadows. I wonder about stacking 4 or 8 exposures to reduce the noise, while keeping detail?

I do a lot of post processing, mostly in Lightroom. Still and all, I can see a lot of noise in the shadows. I wonder about stacking 4 or 8 exposures to reduce the noise, while keeping detail?
I'm not sure what the final layout will be but, it was shot on a sunny day and I was able to eliminate pretty much all of the noise using both luminance and color noise reduction, in LR.

Never tried stacking, as LR noise reduction is pretty robust, but if you try, let us know how it goes.

Goes without saying, but keep your ISO as low as possible and your SS as high as possible at all times and it'll produce some pretty good results.

So, at the risk of being disingenuous, I would like to discuss with someone who has actually published. For my application, sharp and in focus, with little noise up to print size, is super important.
I had an essay published in the New Yorker, no photographs however.

A lot depends on what kind of printing they are doing. Digital or true offset with 150-200 line. The rule of thumb is you want your DPI twice the line screen. Most offset printers print 150 line, thats why the magic number is 300 dpi.

So I end up to print some pictures at A3 sizes . Results are really great with the right post processing . Calculator is there as a size reference

Attachments

• C8E36C34-6F81-42C1-A641-3A7A449676FF.jpeg
    C8E36C34-6F81-42C1-A641-3A7A449676FF.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
  • FCB8B649-2F5E-48B1-A00F-566A162309AC.jpeg
    FCB8B649-2F5E-48B1-A00F-566A162309AC.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 42
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics