DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic take off from balcony

Neto

Reactions
Hi!

I'm a complete noob on drones.
And this is my first question here...so, I'm sorry if it is too basic.
I live in the 10th store of a building here in Brazil, with a great skyline view.
My question is: can I take off (in normal mode) from the balcony of my apartment or the Mavic will fall straight to the ground?
Sorry again for such a noob question.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: FLwaverunner
You'd probably want to hand launch to ensure your Mavic is away from any type of magnetic metal objects. Once you throttle up, your Mavic will lift up and away from your hand.

FYI, taking off from a balcony is a pretty dangerous thing to do if it's not on the top of the building. Keep in mind that you could seriously injure someone below if your Mavic falls to the ground. Also, your Mavic will not be able to return home (if it needs to RTH for some reason) and auto land on the balcony if there is a roof overhead.

I think this is something you should be able to do. However, I've seen this done twice on youtube and the results were bad both times.

Here is one of them:

Reactions: jorcoleman
Think safety first.

At any time during your flight, what will happen if a blade breaks and the aircraft falls. If it falls in a lake, that's an expensive loss and litters the lake. If it falls in a tree it's a difficult recovery and repair. If it falls on people or flies where drivers are distracted it could cause serious injury. What is acceptable, and what is not?

Systems that fly indoors AND outdoors are new. Transitioning from one to the other is tricky and can cause a loss of control. I would not do this.

Thanks all.
I will not do it.
Not a big problem, since all I have to do is take off from the ground and climb.
This is I filmed yesterday. It bothers me the horizon not at level.
Any tips?

Thanks all.
I will not do it.
Not a big problem, since all I have to do is take off from the ground and climb.
Any tips?

Yes, should be easy to sort. You can adjust gimbal roll within the app, which should save your settings. You can also try recalibrating the gimbal via the app, but make sure you're on a level surface when you're doing it. By the way, that is a very challenging area to be flying in if you're a noob at this. Have you flown anything before?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Thanks all.
I will not do it.
Any tips?

Just follow this quick video ..

Reactions: Seabas82

Get to street level, launch drone from the street. then fly it up as high as you want (legally). Do this until your above statement is not true. Then you can think about trying to launch from the balcony or hand launching.

Thanks all.
I will not do it.
Any tips?

What do you use to edit your videos?

Neto - Lovely video, Please share the singers name with us as well.

I will down next week for lessons on flying and video production!! - Just arrange a Mavic for me, can't get one in the USA!!!

Hope your horizons all line up Mate!!!

Thanks all.
I will not do it.
Any tips?

what time has it been shot ?

It looks super sharp :O

Hi!

And this is my first question here...so, I'm sorry if it is too basic.
I live in the 10th store of a building here in Brazil, with a great skyline view.
My question is: can I take off (in normal mode) from the balcony of my apartment or the Mavic will fall straight to the ground?
Sorry again for such a noob question.

Make sure you back up to your landing point when landing. Take off is no problem at all. I usually fly quickly to an open space to set a "return to home" point. Check out link.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the safest way to achieve from balcony flight, and what probable behavior would you see and be able to remedy?

Safest way is speed. Don't hesitate. I found that when hesitating and moving slower, it was more difficult. I would practice flying through and under things so you get used to controlling your drone. As far as behavior, I notice the draft pulls and pushes the drone left and right. Make sure you are prepared to make small adjustments left and right because of it. To insure you don't overdue it, make sure you adjust the stick sensitivity in your settings.

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929