DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic to South Africa via Dubai on Emirates

Videoman

Reactions
In the next few weeks I will be travelling to South Africa from New Zealand on a 4 week vacation on Emirates via Dubai. I've heard conflicting reports that drones (Mavic for me) cannot be brought on as carry-on luggage and must be checked in. I know for sure that Li-Po batteries cannot be with checked in luggage, even with Emirates ... but what about the drone itself? I cannot bear the thought of having to check my Mavic in ... not so much because it may be damaged in transit, but for fear of it being stolen on the South African side, which is a common occurrence over there. I would hopefully like to hear from others who have recently taken their Mavic's via Dubai as carry-on luggage with no issues ... any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated ... thanks in advance :)

In the next few weeks I will be travelling to South Africa from New Zealand on a 4 week vacation on Emirates via Dubai. I've heard conflicting reports that drones (Mavic for me) cannot be brought on as carry-on luggage and must be checked in. I know for sure that Li-Po batteries cannot be with checked in luggage, even with Emirates ... but what about the drone itself? I cannot bear the thought of having to check my Mavic in ... not so much because it may be damaged in transit, but for fear of it being stolen on the South African side, which is a common occurrence over there. I would hopefully like to hear from others who have recently taken their Mavic's via Dubai as carry-on luggage with no issues ... any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated ... thanks in advance :)

As per Emirate's regulations the drone itself needs to be checked and the batteries on board with you.

Reactions: Videoman
Interesting ... am wanting to know 2 things regarding this that nobody seems to know:

1. Why is it that Emirates are the only airline that prohibits drones being carried on as cabin luggage ... all the other airlines have no issue with this.
2. What safety concerns are they worried about ... exactly what danger does a folded up Mavic in the cabin pose, with battery and propellers removed

Interesting ... am wanting to know 2 things regarding this that nobody seems to know:

1. Why is it that Emirates are the only airline that prohibits drones being carried on as cabin luggage ... all the other airlines have no issue with this.
2. What safety concerns are they worried about ... exactly what danger does a folded up Mavic in the cabin pose, with battery and propellers removed

It may have something to do with the fact that all emirates travelers have to stop in Dubai, Dubai airport security doesn't play games!

Reactions: Videoman
A mate of mine has just flown to Ireland via Emirates. Strangely he was asked to put both the drone and battery in his hand luggage. He comes back to SA on Tuesday, so I'll update post if has any hassles on his return.

A mate of mine has just flown to Ireland via Emirates. Strangely he was asked to put both the drone and battery in his hand luggage. He comes back to SA on Tuesday, so I'll update post if has any hassles on his return.
That's interesting ... but I have a funny feeling that its only Dubai International Airport that forces you to put your drone in with your checked luggage ... and not so much Emirates in general. The thing is that I don't want to take a chance and take my Mavic with my hand luggage from the New Zealand side (which there will probably be no issue with) only to go through the checkpoint at Dubai where they don't allow it from there onward to SA as carry-on cabin luggage ... and then what?

Reactions: SCN
How did it turn out to carry ur mavic through dubai airport? I'm gonna have the same issue this weekend and would really like to know if I need to leave my drone at home or not. Please help :D

It may have something to do with the fact that all emirates travelers have to stop in Dubai, Dubai airport security doesn't play games!
I traveled thru Dubai Airport few times with my drone and batteries in my hand baggage Went thru security with no problem. They just questioned my dji goggles put it on their head, laughed then let me go

Thank you, that sounds promising. Because I contacted Dubai airport and Emirates, both said I have to put it in the check-in luggage. I mean it doesn't even make sense cause without having propellers with me I could not even use it. And I understand to put only propeller in the check-in bag cause they are kinda "sharp" and u could use it as a weapon.
Anyway thank you for ur quick and good response ;)

I flew other airlines including flydubai with no problem. They sell dji drones and accessories in the duty free. you can buy them and walk in the plane carrying them.

I flew in and out of Dubai with it in my hand luggage. Was scared as hell but it was fine.

Nothing to worry about.

The ironic thing is- on the way home, terminal3 (Emirates terminal) sell huge parrot drones at duty free

I laugh about it every time I remember!!!

How did it turn out to carry ur mavic through dubai airport? I'm gonna have the same issue this weekend and would really like to know if I need to leave my drone at home or not. Please help :D
Am pleased to announce that I have just returned from South Africa to New Zealand via Dubai where I carried my Mavic in my hand luggage with no issues or questions asked at all

Reactions: Clinton1
Did you guys stay in Dubai with the drone? I’m flying out end of the month to Far East and on way back to the uk will be staying in Dubai for a few nights... have no intention to fly in Dubai at all.

Did you guys stay in Dubai with the drone? I’m flying out end of the month to Far East and on way back to the uk will be staying in Dubai for a few nights... have no intention to fly in Dubai at all.
I only transitioned through Dubai and did not stay overnight ... I had absolutely no problems with my Mavic as carry-on in my back pack.

Reactions: penguin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll