DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic tried to run away...

Freddyflier

Reactions
Odd thing happened today while I was trying out the "follow me" feature on my mavic. I was having difficulty getting a gps lock on my iphone, so I had to move around a bit to get the phone to lock on. While I was doing this the mavic was dutifully hovering in place like i would expect. The iphone kept giving me trouble so I decided to abort the "follow me" function. The moment I hit exit on the screen the mavic took off sideways at a high rate of speed. With no stick input. Bad news is that I was not recording video at the time so I will have to download the flight log to see what might have happened. Good news is I was flying in an open space and was able to override the move barely with full stick input (i literally had to peg the pitch to the left just to get it to hold a hover). I hit RTH and it snapped out of it and came home without incident. Glad Ive been practicing my stick skills with my tiny whoop. Once I look at the logs I will update with more details.

FWIW This very well could have been inadvertent pilot error as I am new to the mavic and DJI type drones.

Have you played the flight back through DJI GO?

I have watched the flight in the DJI go app. I noticed several warnings saying the gps signal to the phone was weak. But other than that, nothing to indicate why it took off.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I read that other thread.. It starts with... I calibrated my compass before the flight. I noticed an arc in flight. Circling... these are classic signs of magnetic interference and or a bad calibration. I'm interested in what they find from the flight logs.

The problem with the compass theory is that the mavic flew perfectly for about 8 minutes. During that time it followed me just fine using "active track". If the compass was calibrated poorly it would be causing problems during the whole flight which is not the case in my incident.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The problem with the compass theory is that the mavic flew perfectly for about 8 minutes. During that time it followed me just fine using "active track". If the compass was calibrated poorly it would be causing problems during the whole flight which is not the case in my incident.
There is not enough data yet. I will wait for the experts to review the data. I have had a flight where a compass error came into play in the middle of the flight. Taken on what I have read, the issues resemble compass calibration issues or magnetic interference. We really won't know until the experts review the data.

I read that other thread.. It starts with... I calibrated my compass before the flight. I noticed an arc in flight. Circling... these are classic signs of magnetic interference and or a bad calibration. I'm interested in what they find from the flight logs.
What Fake GPS did you install? I want it too. Could not find anything working until now. And how doies this screen tell, that this is FCC mode?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N