DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Video Editing

Armour

Reactions
I was using filmora trial to edit videos. I was just curious what others are using or recommend. I don't really want to buy premier or pay the monthly fee. I was looking at filmora as from what I have read the reviews are good. I was also looking into Cyberlink PhotoDirector as I saw it rated a little better than filmora. Looking to edit videos for YouTube, vimeo, and other things. Please help

Thanks

I've had no experience before in video editing. I downloaded the free version of "DaVinci Resolve" and it has been great so far

As everybody can see, you ask 10 people and you get 11 different proposals...(joke) All of the almost pro-type editing solutions will help us achieve a good result. But it is very important to provide good "food", .i.e. shoot the video in a way that very little information in the video is lost. The video needs to be sharp, blacks not too black and whites not too white (avoid clipping). Therefore, again, if you ask several people which setttings they use for the dronevideo, you get all kinds of different information. For Mavic (my new toy - still have the Typhoon H) there is DLog, Cinelike, Art, etc. From what I have gathered sofar, Dlog Cinelike and Art are mostly used, but then you need ND Filters to adjust the amount of light that hits your chip in the camera and this ND Filter should enable a setting like 2,7k/30 FPS and 1/60 secs (180 degree rule for smooth video movement). ISO can be adjusted up a bit from 100 to maybe 200, haven't tested the 300 yet. But thereafter noise is to be expected in the video. So, all in all, a very complex subject. Did I miss anything ? Yes, LUTS- they help to start the grading process, but then the settings have to be as provided by the LUT producer, otherwise it won't work and you will be disappointed.
The software to be used is (for me) a matter of personal skills and demand and expectation and time. Do I have the time to learn or do I have to use one-click solutions ?
I am using two solutions right now. Davinci resolve and Final Cut Pro X. Davinci appears as a massive tool, I am using it for color grading only, Nothing else. Same time I am learning how to use FCPX and start to feel comfortable. Winter time is right time for in-depth learning, I guess.
Just my thoughts after a couple of weeks of trial and error.
regards
Manfred (Hamburg, Germany - New York Times ---- 36 Hours in Hamburg, Germany)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray_seagull
I use premiere pro but have used Resolve.

Resolve was foremost designed for purely colour grading. Thats why it was created. So its very good at that but not terribly simple to use. Premiere is more user friendly and has handy things like noise reduction filters to help with the mavics horrific flicker, stabilisation and rolling shutter corrections etc that Resolve lacks.

I made the switch from Filmora to Premiere Pro about a month ago. Filmora limited my potential and it wasn’t very good overall for hitting smaller details. The things you can do with filmora are also quite restricted. With Premiere you would have a lot more freedom and ability to do many things you can’t do with filmora like color grading or keyframes. Premiere also runs better on my laptop than Filmora does for some reason but idk. From what I have read on this forum, Resolve would be a good software but I will always choose Premiere Pro even if I have to pay monthly. Worth every penny.

I use premiere pro but have used Resolve.

Resolve was foremost designed for purely colour grading. Thats why it was created. So its very good at that but not terribly simple to use. Premiere is more user friendly and has handy things like noise reduction filters to help with the mavics horrific flicker, stabilisation and rolling shutter corrections etc that Resolve lacks.
I can't justify spending $20 a month. Can you just buy it up front?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus