DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Video is Crooked/Not Level

Could a slightly bent vibration plate cause the Mavic's camera to capture crooked/off-center video?

• YES

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Hi everyone -

I crashed a Mavic a month or 2 ago. Ribbon cable snapped and video cable was damaged. After replacing the both cables, I'm getting a good quality picture again and zero errors. But, my video looks a bit crooked. When I was repairing the cables, I noticed that the vibration plate bent a little bit in the crash. Could this be the reason I've got this slanted looking video?

Almost every Mavic has this issue at some point. That's why they give you the ability to adjust the horizon in the GO4 app.

Really? So it might not be a physical defect? Thanks. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

Just go into your gimbal settings and you'll see option to adjust gimbal roll.

It sounds like you should also take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with ALL the different setting menus and options. Adjusting the gimbal roll is literally one of the most talked about settings on the forum, so if you're not familiar with that, I can only imagine what other critical settings you're not aware of. Perhaps one that could have helped avoid your crash. How did you send $1000 up into the sky without going through all the settings menus first? LOL

It sounds like you should also take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with ALL the different setting menus and options. Adjusting the gimbal roll is literally one of the most talked about settings on the forum, so if you're not familiar with that, I can only imagine what other critical settings you're not aware of. Perhaps one that could have helped avoid your crash. How did you send $1000 up into the sky without going through all the settings menus first? LOL

I've been through all the settings, I've taken a training course, I've rebuilt the gimbal and replaced critical components, and I'm about to get my 107 in a couple weeks. Crashes happen. Anyone who thinks differently is setting themselves up for a bigly crash.

Get off your high horse. They guy is just asking a question.

Indeed, I'm finding it more and more difficult to come here and ask questions for the fear of being jumped by a bunch of arrogant know it alls.

I didn't read the manual when I got my mavic, I don't read manuals as they are hard to understand, I'd rather learn myself or get someone to tell me in more laymans terms.

Reactions: PaperbakWriter
Indeed, I'm finding it more and more difficult to come here and ask questions for the fear of being jumped by a bunch of arrogant know it alls.

I didn't read the manual when I got my mavic, I don't read manuals as they are hard to understand, I'd rather learn myself or get someone to tell me in more laymans terms.

Don't do what I did and learn in your backyard. Open field the way to go. Homeboy above is right that the roll is something everyone is talking about but only because it's an issue with everyone. It had nothing to do with my crash apparently. Something to that affect might have been a bit more warranted but....ah....**** em. Have fun. But head over the FAA website to get a general idea of how to safely operate in populated areas. As long as you're not getting paid to fly and shoot video, you're not under 107 regs but it's still better to know what they are because those rules are in place for a very good reason.

Wasn't trying to be a jerk, but honestly a lot of these questions have been answered 100 times before, and most people don't take the time to search before they post it again. The OP also answered his own question by saying "I've been through all the settings, I've taken a training course, I've rebuilt the gimbal and replaced critical components,...",

It's totally ok to ask the same question again even if it's been answered on the forum before. But my point is that by searching for a thread where a similar problem is already being discussed and posing your question there, it condenses all the relevant discussions into one place which makes it easier for people to find answers in the future, instead of searching and having 57 threads come up. That benefits the entire forum as a whole.

I had the same horizon issue on my MA Pro after gimbal repair (due to small crash and overheat of gimbal motors). I replaced the wire harness and I had to fo the “calibrate gimbal” after a flight test to see if repair worked. Did not have to adjust gimbal roll as described but was going to go there next. Thanks for getting this out there.

I have a similar issue, but it's Yaw, not Roll. AND it's really strange... When I fly to the south (windless day) and hit RTH, the drone (M1P) flies perfectly straight back to my house (the whitish dome in the center of the video) and lands on the pad within inches of it's take-off point. Just as it should! (see video DJI_0004.mp4 in the link below)

But, when I fly to the north (same day) and hit RTH, the drone flies perfectly straight (by my seeing it in the air), but the video shows the drone flying at an angle to the left of strait all the way back to my house and lands on the pad within inches of it's take-off point. (see video DJI_0014.mp4 in the link below)

I had a similar issue with a different M1P (except it was in all videos) and replacing the compass/GPS module fixed that one. I have tried 3 different gimbals (with calibrations), and 2 different compass/GPS modules with several calibrations, IMU Calibrations (at least 3), 2 sets of stock props and 1-set of Low Noise Props (even switched them front to back, etc.)

Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

Videos can be seen here: M1P Issues - Google Drive
Videos are uploading to my drive and my upload speed is dismal so it may take a while...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11