DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic vs. winter weather

Sevier456

Reactions
Headed up toward Canada for a snowmobiling trip. Wanted to bring the MP any or familiar with flying in cold tempertures, and if so what is the coldest you flew in and for how long ??

Try to keep batteries warm prior to flying

Reactions: BenM
20171210_155459.jpg
Headed up toward Canada for a snowmobiling trip. Wanted to bring the MP any or familiar with flying in cold tempertures, and if so what is the coldest you flew in and for how long ??

I have flown mine here in Wisconsin at 0 with no wind and sunny. I agree with others that the biggest problem is cold fingers. I keep tbe equipment warm, limit my flying to a battety strength of 50% and i have no mechanical issues.

Reactions: Lapeer20m
Same here.. Tried it when it was really freezing, the MP went, filmed and came back vert well after an epic flight near frozen waterfalls, trees and caves... The only BIG problem, was my nearly dead fingers after 10min flight...
But it was so perfect and beautiful, that I filles until battery was low...
After that I wasnt able anymore to open my cars doors or even driving for maybe a quarter...even if I was wearing little gloves...

One thing DJI could think about is a remote controler warmer!! XD

More seriously, keep your batteries near to your body before flying to keep them st a good using T°C...

I'm doing the same thing (in Canada) this weekend. I fly in the cold all the time, no problem. I look forwards to seeing your shots.

MP handles pretty well minus the loss of several minutes from obvious battery limitations in the cold. Fly frequently in the cold. However, after flying nearly everyday in 0-5°F for a little over the week, the gimbal began malfunctioning frequently. So the problems:

Gimbal issues

Battery life-hover for a couple minutes before going/prewarm batteries/rubber band a heat pack to your smart phone.

Warranty-Void if you crash or the aircraft has a random malfunction due flying under recommended temps (I believe this applies to refresh as well)

Aluminum parts on aircraft-become extremely cold very quick and warm extremely fast creating condensation.

Landing and taking off: since you’re snowmobiling, hand catching and taking off is going to be your only option in most cases.

And of course freezing hands like everyone else said, but if you don’t need to mess with your touch screen there’s no point in not having nice gloves on.

In addition to the battery precautions, I've learned that it's best to let the MP acclimate to the outside temperature before flying so the camera won't fog up. Just remember to remove the battery and install just before flying. I've been flying daily in 10-20 degree temps.

I have tried gloves with thumb and index finger tips that work on a touch screen (phone gloves I think they were called)
they were a bit slippery on the sticks for me, so just cut off the tops.

Okay thanks have you operated in below freezing ?

I live in the northeast USA. I’ve flown as cold as you can imagine. Ground temps as cold as -9. And colder as I ascended. Many flights below 0 degrees and almost all of mine have been below freezing. Just keep your batteries warm before you fly. If you get a warning the batteries need to be warmed up when you start the drone. You should listen. You will lose a little flight time when it’s cold out. And I would plan on landing your drone before the battery gets low. Try to be landing by 25% battery. During the cold weather batteries can drop charge quicker and if you chance that you could have your drone fall out of the sky.

Yes, 15 degrees F. Only issue I had was that my fingers got numb
Flew this morning and was 7 degrees and just did 1 hangar as we had gotten a snow and took a hour before my fingers thawed out . Might wait till It warms up before I try that again :)
Is this sort of reply necessary? Just don’t reply if you feel it is.
His reply was a good one , your's wasn't .
It does cut down on having to many threads on the same subject when you do a search before you post .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada