DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic went nuts indoors.

Elbert

Reactions
So I flew my mavic in my house. It was in opti mode.

However, all of a sudden it went into ATTI and started drifting to the side, about to hit the railings of my stairs. I immediately held it by the base to stop it from hitting the railing but then the motors suddenly sped up and it was pulling my hand really strongly. I was eager to let go but then I was afraid that it would suddenly slingshot itself to the ceiling.

I couldn't do the CSC either as I was testing gesture mode and it was like 10 feet away so I called my sister from the other room to grab the RC and shut off the motors. But then while it was going nuts, I saw a battery discharge warning on my phone screen. The motors eventually shut down and the Mavic was saved.

However, the battery dropped from 50% to 34% in about 3-4 minutes of that flight session. I knew that this couldn't be right so I tried checking the flight logs. But... it wasn't there... There was no flight log of that flight!

Is this something wrong? Should I get it checked? Why did it go crazy like that when I tried to grab it?

Thanks. :)

Was OA turned on or off?

Reactions: Elbert
So I flew my mavic in my house. It was in opti mode.

However, all of a sudden it went into ATTI and started drifting to the side, about to hit the railings of my stairs. I immediately held it by the base to stop it from hitting the railing but then the motors suddenly sped up and it was pulling my hand really strongly. I was eager to let go but then I was afraid that it would suddenly slingshot itself to the ceiling.

I couldn't do the CSC either as I was testing gesture mode and it was like 10 feet away so I called my sister from the other room to grab the RC and shut off the motors. But then while it was going nuts, I saw a battery discharge warning on my phone screen. The motors eventually shut down and the Mavic was saved.

However, the battery dropped from 50% to 34% in about 3-4 minutes of that flight session. I knew that this couldn't be right so I tried checking the flight logs. But... it wasn't there... There was no flight log of that flight!

Is this something wrong? Should I get it checked? Why did it go crazy like that when I tried to grab it?

Thanks. :)
The obstacle avoidance sensed your hand as an obstacle and tried to climb, that is a normal reaction.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: Elbert and Kilrah
when you grabbed it, it tried to get away and that put a massive load on the battery; happened to me on my first (and only) flight indoors.
Regards,
-d.
Does it affect the battery's life significantly? Sorry haha I spent over a thousand bucks on this and I want to make sure that it's alright. And why did it not record the flight?

Does it affect the battery's life significantly? Sorry haha I spent over a thousand bucks on this and I want to make sure that it's alright. And why did it not record the flight?
Battery should be fine, I am sure it affected it in some manner, but I would not be overly concerned; not sure about the lack of flight recording.
Regards,
-d.

More specifically, it's the Landing Protection setting (under Advanced Vision Sensor settings) that causes the Mavic to try to rise up from anything closer than 0.5m below it.

My son crashed my mavic twice on Sunday because he left the bottom sensors and OA turned on, but he didn't know any better since the Solo I normally let him use doesn't have either, he blew up the gimbal, a battery and 3 of the 4 props.

You can force the mavic beyond it's sensor boundaries but when you do, the moment you relax the input commands that you're giving it, expect erratic behavior.

So let me see if I can piece the story together. It was in Opti Mode, the lighting probably wasn't sufficient and switched to Atti mode which is essentially the drone operating in manual mode. The wind current may have caused the drift. No you grab the bottom and it tries to gain altitude trying to escape the closeness to the surface below it, in doing so it revs to maximum speed drawing on more power than normal and triggering an overcurrent warning. Sounds like the drone operating normally to me. I would hardly call that going nuts.

So let me see if I can piece the story together. It was in Opti Mode, the lighting probably wasn't sufficient and switched to Atti mode which is essentially the drone operating in manual mode. The wind current may have caused the drift. No you grab the bottom and it tries to gain altitude trying to escape the closeness to the surface below it, in doing so it revs to maximum speed drawing on more power than normal and triggering an overcurrent warning. Sounds like the drone operating normally to me. I would hardly call that going nuts.
Haha yeah great to hear that. I just got mine a week ago so I have no experience whatsoever.

However, the battery dropped from 50% to 34% in about 3-4 minutes of that flight session.
The Mavic flies about 20 mins on 70%. A 15% drop is thus... about 4 minutes in normal conditions. Nothing out of the ordinary then.

Why did it go crazy like that when I tried to grab it?
As explained it uses both a sonar and cameras to sense height and movement with relation to ground - When you put your hand under it it thinks it's the ground and will do anything to go away from it both in terms of altitude and of position if OPTI reactivated through the now "better lit" subject. So don't do that.

switched to Atti mode which is essentially the drone operating in manual mode. .

LOL, not even close to Manual mode . In Attitude mode the drone still flies itself in that it will still keep itself at a self leveled state and right itself when the stick is released . All the operator has to do different is move the right stick (mode 2) to maintain position and counter the inherent drift . Manual mode is NO self leveling and the last commanded direction of the right stick would stay in effect until a counter stick movement is given .

Reactions: AyeYo
LOL, not even close to Manual mode . In Attitude mode the drone still flies itself in that it will still keep itself at a self leveled state and right itself when the stick is released . All the operator has to do different is move the right stick (mode 2) to maintain position and counter the inherent drift . Manual mode is NO self leveling and the last commanded direction of the right stick would stay in effect until a counter stick movement is given .
I meant as manual as it gets with automated systems to maintain stability. I am well aware that true manual means manually controlling throttle to maintain altitude and controlling stability. I meant the Mavic doesn't hold itself as stable when in Atti mode since it essentially relies on much fewer sensors, essentially just the IMU, while OPTI at least uses visual sensors and GPS obviously provides the greatest stability.

Is it possible to have VPS operating but not have the Mavic do any automatic height adjusting?

Is it possible to have VPS operating but not have the Mavic do any automatic height adjusting?
Yes. Just disable Landing Protection

I meant as manual as it gets with automated systems to maintain stability. .

Yeah I figured that's what you meant but it's just a pet peeve of mine as I see that description thrown around on all the forums (not just Mavic or DJI for that matter ) and most newbies have no idea of what it takes to control a drone in manual mode . I came from the collective pitch heli world and now electronics have even taken them almost to a hands off hover state from just a decade ago ,lol . I actually would prefer a option in the Mavic to fly in Atti mode as that is a good mode for flying from point A to point B and can even be good for certain camera shots since you don't have to "fight" the GPS from trying to keep it in one spot .

Reactions: AyeYo and grizzard

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada