DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic went ROGUE, and is gone

ac30

Reactions
So i bought a mavic air back in August, for a trip to Europe in September. Did some practice flights, no problems, got comfortable. Have been doing some local filming since i returned.
Flew over some big cities in Europe and over water, in wind between mountains, through forests, again no problems. I was cautious of buildings and obstacles, wind and air moisture, wifi range/obstruction etc.

Today i tried to film a quick shot, Mavic went up in the air for about 10-15 seconds, above my head while i adjusted light/aperture settings ,
It suddenly veered 150m out over the water, did a sharp U-turn, banked hard right, all within 10 seconds
and i believe it hit the side of a bridge before falling most likely into water.

I didnt find it.

Reviewing the flight record and video feed, you can see i'm not touching the joysticks after initial take off... for 10 seconds until the very last second in an attempt to avoid the crash.
For a split second before impact it did have interference warning and high wind warning, BUT:
-It was already off-track before the warnings appeared
-The wind would have been blowing from the west off the ocean, and my Mavic Air veered westward (into the wind). It was also travelling 40km/h, wind that day was recorded at mid-20, i have recordings of trees in the area and they're barely blowing. Altitude was only 5-6 meters
-It banked HARD right suddenly, before losing transmission as if someone hit it out of the sky

I've had my drone up over the English Channel, Swiss Alps, Mediterranean Sea, over Vancouver's Mountains, and it had no problem staying level against wind gusts.
I've certainly never had it behave so erratically and go so far, so fast in such a short period of time,

My theory is that, a motor may have malfunctioned on one side of the drone. I briefly saw a "motor warning" of some kind once last month, but didn't have enough time to read the warning before it was off the screen, and the drone acted normal again. For the past 2-3 flights i've noticed it seemed to be floating sideways on its own, coming close to trees, and not being able to stay in one spot and i have to counter-hold the joystick slightly to manually stabilize.
Is it possible a motor died and the drone was unable to stabilize before crashing?
What are my warranty/replacement options?
Any other ideas what happened? will attempt to upload flight record

i cant remember, i havent had it more than 90 days, and i think it was offering me an extension in the app but i never purchased it? not sure where id find it

DJI care refresh is something that you would have paid extra for, $89 extra bought from DJI and registered your drone with them. Insurance on the other hand is something that you have to pay from a private company like State Farm, ect.

Reactions: oi69
Then no unfortunately. I thought it came with it and I just had to extend it after a certain point. I have the serial number though. Also it says they don't replace lost drones anyways, but this situation seems odd.

That's why you have to get insurance, for flyaways. Usually only costs ~$60 annually and is totally with it!

I was just careful. I flew over Brighton UK on the coast during crazy winds, as well as over Lake Como in the Italian Alps, 1000m on Vancouver Mt. Seymour....
This was at sea level on a clear day... I just feel like something mechanical failed for it to behave this way.

DJI Care Refresh won’t work if you can’t retrieve your drone. But log a ticket with DJI support. Give them your flight log. If it’s a malfunction, they’ll cover/replace under warranty.

You can try to get it under warranty if you want but most likely will be denied which is why I and most other users on here have insurance. It's times when we least expect it that the worst happens and that's when it is nice to have insurance for those times, especially when it's that cheap. I'm sad to say but it seems like you will be out $700 or however much you paid for the Mavic. Next time, get insurance. It's a cheap price to pay for something that you don't have 100% control of. Trust me, I crashed my Phantom 3 advanced and had to pay for repairs and ended up losing money. With my Mavic Air, I crashed it and was able to get a brand new drone thanks to DJI Care Refresh.

I've certainly never had it behave so erratically and go so far, so fast in such a short period of time,
My theory is that, a motor may have malfunctioned on one side of the drone.
The most likely cause will be related to where you launched from.
Was it by any chance a steel or reinforced concrete surface?

You will have to post flight data or people can only guess.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

You can try to get it under warranty if you want but most likely will be denied which is why I and most other users on here have insurance. It's times when we least expect it that the worst happens and that's when it is nice to have insurance for those times, especially when it's that cheap. I'm sad to say but it seems like you will be out $700 or however much you paid for the Mavic. Next time, get insurance. It's a cheap price to pay for something that you don't have 100% control of. Trust me, I crashed my Phantom 3 advanced and had to pay for repairs and ended up losing money. With my Mavic Air, I crashed it and was able to get a brand new drone thanks to DJI Care Refresh.
I'm a photographer new to drones and having invested into the Mavic Air 2 I would like the comfort of insurance. I bought Refresh. Can you or anyone recommend a good insurance company please.

How was your IMU calibration?
The IMU doesn't usually "go rogue". It's not likely to be a factor.
If the OP posts flight data, it's almost certainly going to show the compass with a yaw error was the problem and it can probably be traced back to where he launched from.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDawg and Joebie
The IMU doesn't usually "go rogue". It's not likely to be a factor.
If the OP posts flight data, it's almost certainly going to show the compass with a yaw error was the probblem and it can probably be traced back to where he launched from.
Agreed, but was just wondering since he mentioned having problems with drifting in the past.

I'm working on it, but my Mac is also dying so I can't hook up to itunes

My first few flights with my new Mavic air didn't impress me but I figured I needed to tweak the controls according to the advice of many on youtube. On a very early flight I thought I should hand land it because of the rough terrain and I did catch it but it really bit me pretty good and I decided that would not be such a good idea even though I do it nearly 100 % of the time with my sparks when away from home. My normal landing spot at home is on my patio and I had never had the slightest problem before but twice the Air just drifted into my house while at a very low altitude. When I tried to calibrate the IMU i noticed that one of them was inop. (redundancy) DJI support said to send it in and when I got it back it did the very same thing on the first flight. It had behaved fine away from my house and I had a couple of very long distance flights but I was really ready to just shelve the air for good when I thought about calibrating the R/C.
DuH...I know what you're thinking but ...what can I say..anyway my Mavic Air is a different bird now. It behaves perfectly.
P.S. I had updated the firmware before sending it to DJI and when I got it back I had to once again update the firmware. Different drone? I guess

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143