DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic yaw drift

porlock

Reactions
My brand new mavic pro suffers to yaw drift i can replace it to another one but are there any mavics free of this error?

\

crazy i thought i was the ONLY one who had this issue. i just learned to kinda deal with it. but yeah its a crazy one. i am also using the shorter props. if that makes any difference. :(

Reactions: porlock
sar104 can you confirm on 100% that you don't have this issue ?
I don't get any error messages, i will try to dwonload and see logs but boubt to find anything.

sar104 can you confirm on 100% that you don't have this issue ?
I don't get any error messages, i will try to dwonload and see logs but boubt to find anything.

Correct - I've never seen that with Mavics or Phantoms, but I've seen reports from others of this behavior. And the logs absolutely will show what is happening - either the aircraft doesn't realize that it is rotating or it is rotating for a reason.

yea i would say calibrate your sticks/Remote control, too, i had to do mines a few months ago. When you look at the squares before doing it in the calibration, you can see if it is off, the numbers wont be zero all around,. even if it is,calibrate it again by going through the motion, its basically, just following that dot going around the square and the joysticks re-centering afterwards, doesnt take long

Reactions: WAXMAN
Mine also has a slow drift to the left. it usually goes away after 20-30 sec. I checked the Attitude Yaw, RC rudder and Gimbal Yaw in the logs. They are all behaving normal. maybe it's some compass or IMU drift. haven't calibrated them for a long time because the app never asks.

On my last flight I did have the drone bounce like the tello bounce mode.... It was moving up-down ~50-60cm without any inputs. Only at low altitudes. In the logs the height shows constant, but the sWaveHeight shows the bounces clearly and the throttle is not causing this.

Mine also has a slow drift to the left. it usually goes away after 20-30 sec. I checked the Attitude Yaw, RC rudder and Gimbal Yaw in the logs. They are all behaving normal. maybe it's some compass or IMU drift. haven't calibrated them for a long time because the app never asks.

On my last flight I did have the drone bounce like the tello bounce mode.... It was moving up-down ~50-60cm without any inputs. Only at low altitudes. In the logs the height shows constant, but the sWaveHeight shows the bounces clearly and the throttle is not causing this.

Are you saying that the yaw value is not changing, even though you can see that the aircraft is rotating?

sar104 do you help me analyse the logs if i put it on some public drive ?

My brand new mavic pro suffers to yaw drift i can replace it to another one but are there any mavics free of this error?

\

I have same problem. Also goed slowly left... fee timed tryed calibrate imo and compass, but no changes... no errors also, i dont know what to do...

Interesting. Looking at the first of the two flights in those logs, it is apparent that the FC is rotating the aircraft deliberately while holding the yaw value constant, most likely in an attempt to resolve a discrepancy between the magnetic and gyro yaw values. The FC is using compass 1 at this time.

Starting with the IMU yaw initialized using the compass 1 magnetic yaw, the first commanded rotation, starting at around 7 s and ending at 11 s, leads to a disagreement between the compass 1 magnetic yaw and the gyro-derived yaw of 40°.

The subsequent CCW rotation of the aircraft is clearly registered by both compasses and the z-axis rate gyro, but it does not fix the problem, which actually continues throughout the flight as shown in the full record in the second graph.

It suggests to me a gyro calibration problem, but you mentioned that you have calibrated the IMU - correct?

@BudWalker - any thoughts?

20180327_FLY033_01.png

20180327_FLY033_02.png

Are you saying that the yaw value is not changing, even though you can see that the aircraft is rotating?

I took off straight up, and slowly climbed for 20 seconds without any yaw inputs, before starting my flight. During this ascend I could see the FPV view slowly yawing left maybe 3-5 degree over 20 seconds (the same as the drifting in that video, but a bit slower). I have centre point enabled, so I can easily see this in the FPV, but it is difficult to see if it is the drone or the gimbal. After those 20 sec I applied Yaw and pitch and started my flight. During the rest of the flight I did not notice anything weird until the bouncing issue at the end. I attached the log.

Also sometimes (not always) when I fly straight at a fixed point in the distance, or follow a road/field/fence, I notice this yaw/drift to the left. I thought at first it was because the camera was pointing at a very slight angle, or my thumb pushing the stick slightly to the left, but maybe it has the same root cause.

I have a busy work and family life, but when I have time (end of next week), I'll try to see if it happens again and record the mavic video and a video of the mavics movements.

It's a very minor issue. things like this are to be expected.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-03-26_[19-45-15].txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
It suggests to me a gyro calibration problem, but you mentioned that you have calibrated the IMU - correct?

It start happens just when I take it out of the box at the 1st flight, so I calibrate everything including IMU hope it helps but it doesn't. I calibrate IMU at home not in the filed but I don't hear that is required not to do it at home. I will be thankful for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: daisy-girl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka