DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Zoom Hi Resolution Mode

AlienDrone

Reactions
Greetings fellow pilots! As a photographer, I'm considering ordering the Mavic 2 Zoom over the Mavic 2 Pro. The Zoom also has a 24 mm lens versus the 28mm of the Pro. Those extra 4mm of wide angle can come in handy in many of the scenes I cover. In addition, the zoom lens will also allow me to get in close from a safe distance, while correcting some of the wide angle distortion. . However, to get these features I'm passing on the benefits of the one inch sensor of the Mavic 2 Pro. I'm hoping that the Hi Resolution Mode of the Zoom will help compensate for not having the one inch sensor. Do any of you know where I can see a side by side comparison photo where this feature is used against the Pro?

Greetings fellow pilots! As a photographer, I'm considering ordering the Mavic 2 Zoom over the Mavic 2 Pro. The Zoom also has a 24 mm lens versus the 28mm of the Pro. Those extra 4mm of wide angle can come in handy in many of the scenes I cover. In addition, the zoom lens will also allow me to get in close from a safe distance, while correcting some of the wide angle distortion. . However, to get these features I'm passing on the benefits of the one inch sensor of the Mavic 2 Pro. I'm hoping that the Hi Resolution Mode of the Zoom will help compensate for not having the one inch sensor. Do any of you know where I can see a side by side comparison photo where this feature is used against the Pro?

I doubt you can tell side by side in pictures , I have some pictures at the bottom of our website shot with the Mavic 2 zoom and cropped in 1/6 of a super HIgh Res Pictures : That Super High Res 48 meg picture is stitched together for you and the results our really nice.

If your a good photographer you can make the zoom shine pretty bright , but pixel for pixel the pro wins .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

Reactions: AlienDrone
I doubt you can tell side by side in pictures , I have some pictures at the bottom of our website shot with the Mavic 2 zoom and cropped in 1/6 of a super HIgh Res Pictures : That Super High Res 48 meg picture is stitched together for you and the results our really nice.

If your a good photographer you can make the zoom shine pretty bright , but pixel for pixel the pro wins .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal
Thank you for your reply! Wow....a very interesting site! Happy to know it is there. So all of the photos at the bottom section were produced using that technique?

Thank you for your reply! Wow....a very interesting site! Happy to know it is there. So all of the photos at the bottom section were produced using that technique?

Not all of them < Just the Wide Screen Ones . Once I started shooting High Res I never went back because it captures so much so quickly , its very addicting as it kind of surprise when you get back and see what you have in perfect light and focus. My drone selfie is my favorite and than of course is only 1/6 crop .

Of course you can do the same thing with the Pro but you need outside software to do it , I just find the quality vs the ease of use very close to the Pro quality..
The only real advantage that I can see is night time shots , I think that Pro offers a real advantage and the bigger sensor pays off nicely.

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 5.31.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 5.33.19 PM.png

Attachments

• smaller print .jpg
    smaller print .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Not all of them < Just the Wide Screen Ones . Once I started shooting High Res I never went back because it captures so much so quickly , its very addicting as it kind of surprise when you get back and see what you have in perfect light and focus. My drone selfie is my favorite and than of course is only 1/6 crop .

Of course you can do the same thing with the Pro but you need outside software to do it , I just find the quality vs the ease of use very close to the Pro quality..
The only real advantage that I can see is night time shots , I think that Pro offers a real advantage and the bigger sensor pays off nicely.

View attachment 83440

View attachment 83442
Very nice work! Yes, the greater low light capabilities of the larger sensor is tough pass.

It’s a tough choice but the kicker feature of the M2 Pro is the adjustable aperture. Mavic 2 Pro feels much more like a real camera. While the optical zoom is a great great feature to have you cannot compare the Super Resolution photos to the photos the 1” sensor puts out, it’s a different league.

It’s a tough choice but the kicker feature of the M2 Pro is the adjustable aperture. Mavic 2 Pro feels much more like a real camera. While the optical zoom is a great great feature to have you cannot compare the Super Resolution photos to the photos the 1” sensor puts out, it’s a different league.
Yes, a tough choice indeed! Just when i think I'm ready to go with the Zoom I read something like this. Lol Thanks for your reply!

Yes, a tough choice indeed! Just when i think I'm ready to go with the Zoom I read something like this. Lol Thanks for your reply!
I believe it only does Super Resolution with jpeg anyway. I could be wrong about that so hopefully somebody can confirm.

That 2x zoom is nice don’t get me wrong but look at it this way; the one inch sensor cropped to 2x is still larger than the zoom sensor. So you can crop those photos and get the same level of zoom. Now I know that’s not the same thing as 48mm but it does give you a sense of how how much more power that camera has

I believe it only does Super Resolution with jpeg anyway. I could be wrong about that so hopefully somebody can confirm.

That 2x zoom is nice don’t get me wrong but look at it this way; the one inch sensor cropped to 2x is still larger than the zoom sensor. So you can crop those photos and get the same level of zoom. Now I know that’s not the same thing as 48mm but it does give you a sense of how how much more power that camera has
Very good point! Thank you.

I started with the zoom and used it for a bit, then bought a pro camera and swapped cameras. I'm still pretty new to the Mavic 2 and using both cameras, but it feels like for (rough guess) 85% of the pics they will both do great but when you have special needs, one or the other will outshine the other.

The HQ video mode of the M2P also offers the equivalent of a 1.7x zoom compared to the 2x 48mm of the M2Z. It requires turning off the FOV 28mm to change to HQ mode, so there is no linear zooming capability, but it gives you the same field of view in 4K as flying much closer, but from much farther away.

The HQ video mode of the M2P also offers the equivalent of a 1.7x zoom compared to the 2x 48mm of the M2Z. It requires turning off the FOV 28mm to change to HQ mode, so there is no linear zooming capability, but it gives you the same field of view in 4K as flying much closer, but from much farther away.
That’s just for video though right?

That’s just for video though right?
Correct. Wish there was an equivalent method for stills, other than a crop in post, which loses resolution. A still frame extract from the resulting 4K video is probably the best compromise, so you have both from the same recording, although the still is only 8MB.

You know, that's that's the true solution. ? I see if you are unhappy with your decision, DJI will switch the camera for parts and labor. Some say the Mavic line will become a modular upgrade-able system.
DJI will definitely NOT switch M2 cameras for parts and labor! You have to do that on your own. That service was never offered, despite assertions to the contrary.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22 and AlienDrone
Well, no one should rely solely on one drone anyway.
Agreed. One M2 RC and iPad is sufficient, though. I have both an M2Z and an M2P, and only one RC, as I bought a bare M2 aircraft (currently $450) and installed an AliExpress M2Z gimbal and camera on it (currently $250), to complement my retail M2P purchase. Takes 20 seconds to swap aircraft by just binding to the RC. Saves $700! Best of all worlds!

Agreed. One M2 RC and iPad is sufficient, though. I have both an M2Z and an M2P, and only one RC, as I bought a bare M2 aircraft (currently $450) and installed an AliExpress M2Z gimbal and camera on it (currently $250), to complement my retail M2P purchase. Takes 20 seconds to swap aircraft by just binding to the RC. Saves $700! Best of all worlds!
To clarify, you bought a Mavic 2 drone without the gimble, and installed an aftermarket gimble and camera? Very interesting! I thought about owning both drones and using one remote. Does the one remote supply all the functions for both drones? in other words, does the remote supplied with the Mavic 2 Pro have the same ability to control the Zoom feature as the control supplied with the M2 Zoom?

To clarify, you bought a Mavic 2 drone without the gimble, and installed an aftermarket gimble and camera? Very interesting! I thought about owning both drones and using one remote. Does the one remote supply all the functions for both drones? in other words, does the remote supplied with the Mavic 2 Pro have the same ability to control the Zoom feature as the control supplied with the M2 Zoom?
Yes, yes, and yes! The "aftermarket" gimbal/camera assembly is actually the OEM DJI Zoom camera sold through AliExpress vendors. The app and the remote always seamlessly recognize which gimbal/camera assembly is attached to the current bound M2, and display and reconfigure all the requisite changes. The right scroll wheel no longer controls exposure. It controls zoom only. The app shows all the M2Z controls and features, instead of the M2P ones. Only additional thing you will need are a source for the 6 tiny screws that attach the gimbal camera assembly. They are not included with the gimbal/camera assembly. I had the ones from my original broken M2P camera that I sent in to DJI. It helps if you bought the more expensive M2P first, because the M2P gimbal/camera assembly through AliExpress is $599.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50