DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic zoom scare almost flew into me

Arce101

Reactions
Well last night I had the mavic zoom scare the living hell out of me.i was flying at night in my back yard I live in the sticks so there’s not much light only my porch light was on and I noticed when I toggle the led lights it would try to lower in altitude well I’m standing directly behind the porch light and it wanted to fly at me but stoped I was bringing it in to land about 2 ft from where I was standing and it almost seemed to want to go into the house which the door was directly behind me. Prior to this I was in my kictchen messing with some settings. Mabey my home point updated in my house where I turned it on ? I don’t know but I never pressed return to home and when I land close I always take it slow so can’t understand wat happened but it was a close call I legitimately had to fly it straight up because I thought it wanted to fly into the house porch light does anybody ever have this problem?

Did you check out your flight log? You can upload and view it online here. If you need help reading it, post a link here after uploading it.

No. You need to use some type of tool that is able to decode the flight log and display all available data within it.

Reactions: Arce101
When flying at night, your sensors usually show the "low ambient light" warning meaning they cant detect obstacles. When this happens, the drone will allow itself to fly into anything.

When flying at night, best to use prop guards, or just stay high so you cant hit anything.

Last edited:
Probably a better fly path would be a greater distance between you and those spinning little knives. No blood please.

Reactions: Arce101
When flying at night, your sensors usually show the "low ambient light" warning meaning they cant detect obstacles. When this happens, the drone will allow itself to fly into anything.

When flying at night, best to use prop guards, or just stay high so you cant hit anything.
Really? Allow itself ? Bc I didn’t throttle forward that fast it was insane like someone else took control for a sec

Really? Allow itself ? Bc I didn’t throttle forward that fast it was insane like someone else took control for a sec
So if I would of had it in sport mode I wouldn’t of had that problem then?

Yes, the drone is not able to protect itself because it cant see obstacles at night. You can crash it into anything you want, and the drone will let you. Thats why I recommend prop guards. They are a physical barrier between you and "things that go bump in the night."

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B and WAXMAN
Reactions: genesimmons
Can you get prop guards for mavic pro

You can get OEM DJI prop guards and other brands here:

DJIPropeller Guard for Mavic Pro Quadcopter

I personally like both prop guards and prop cages. Prop guards help protect from hitting walls, tree trunks, or big solid objects. Prop guards will allow you to fly a little faster than prop cages, less drag.

Prop cages are good if you are going low speed, and stand to chip or break your props, like low and close in. They are heavier than prop guards, but offer you the next level in prop protection. They are called prop cages, but they really protect more than just the props.

Not sure about this seller, but here is what the cages look like:

Amazon.com: Mavic - Propeller Cage: Camera & Photo

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada