DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max altitude 500m

adam3112

Reactions
I’ve noticed that the max altitude on the Mini 2 is 500 metres and just wanted to know why this limit is lower than on some of the other drones in the DJI line like the Mavic Pro where you can go up 5000m?

I know that DJI state it is for Safety reasons but why is it more dangerous to fly a Mini 2 higher than 500m than the Mavic Air 2 for example?

Not that I’d ever fly at this altitude because it’s illegal where I live, but just curious as to why this lower max altitude of 500m only applies to the Mini 2. Does anyone know?

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
I have MM, P3Adv, M2P and on each the hardware ceiling is 500m, what unhacked DJI drone have you seen that go can go higher?
For clarity the 500m refers to the height relative to the take off point, NOT relative to sea level (MSL).
I am not sure of the MSL ceilings for my drones but those are governed by the props' and motors' abiliity to move enough of the thinner air.

It's not, you're confusing the service ceiling with the max allowed height above start point. The latter has been 500m for all DJI aircraft since their first fully integrated model, the former varies by model.

I’ve noticed that the max altitude on the Mini 2 is 500 metres and just wanted to know why this limit is lower than on some of the other drones in the DJI line like the Mavic Pro where you can go up 5000m?
That 5000 metre height means that if you climbed to the top of a 4000 metre mountain, you'd be able to fly there, but the drone would have trouble in the thin air if the mountain was 6000 metres.
All DJI consumer drones have a fixed 500 m max altitude above the height of the launch point.
I know that DJI state it is for Safety reasons but why is it more dangerous to fly a Mini 2 higher than 500m than the Mavic Air 2 for example?
Winds are always stronger, higher up.
Flying at 500 m or beyond with any drone could be risky because of an increased chance of having to deal with wind that is too strong for the drone to fly against.

Aside from wind there's the question of whether you could see it and you would possibly be into into manned aircraft airspace,

500m above ground level is high enough. The only times I've been this high is when I've needed to film clouds from above - and, I should add, that was from our own huge nature reserve in a remote area of South Africa.

Not that I’d ever fly at this altitude because it’s illegal where I live, but just curious as to why this lower max altitude of 500m only applies to the Mini 2. Does anyone know?
I know 5000 meters is 16404 ft or 3.1 miles........(Long Way) ?
WHERE EVER you are ??????

It is useful to climb low mountains etc.. altitude above ground (AGL) remaining under 400’ and distance from mountain slope no more than 400’.
I have used this in several videos. For instance:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC