DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max distance 800m. What's wrong?

pha

Reactions
I'm currently in Asia and on the 2.4 Ghz frequency. When flying along the beach or over water, I get to around 600-800m (at ~30m altitude) when the warning "Strong interference to Aircraft Signal" pops up and I have to turn around.

Anyone experienced similar issues? Didn't even get close to the 2000m/4000m advertised on the website. I have a direct line of sight to the aircraft and there's no power lines or anything that could interfere. There's a few LTE towers in 5-6km distance.

Thanks

The maximum distance is in a completely interference-free area with zero obstructions. If you're being told there is interference, there likely is. Phones, PTP and MTP systems, boats with WiFi . . . lots of stuff to cause interference at 2.4 that you wouldn't "see".

Reactions: Kilrah and MavicMo
That's interesting, thanks! But still 600-800m seems a bit too little for me, especially looking at the "max range thread". I'll try to fly in a different area after the weekend, thought these here are excellent conditions though, about 20-30m away from shore.

That's interesting, thanks! But still 600-800m seems a bit too little for me, especially looking at the "max range thread". I'll try to fly in a different area after the weekend, thought these here are excellent conditions though, about 20-30m away from shore.
You should try using 5.6 instead of 2.4 abf see if you get better range.

It depends on the area. In an urban area with high interference, you might get more range using 5.8GHz. That said, 2.4GHz has a longer range, and if you don't have interference this is the best option.
You'll note this is the reason there is such a big variance in range tests. Range tests done in Hong Kong around many apartments have often completely failed when using 2.4GHz, and gone a lot further on 5.8. However the most I've seen from an Air on your Tube is well beyond 3 miles in an open area with no interference (in US/FCC) using 2.4GHz.

Reactions: MavicMo

I'd also increase the altitude, it may help ..

I'm currently in Asia and on the 2.4 Ghz frequency. When flying along the beach or over water, I get to around 600-800m (at ~30m altitude) when the warning "Strong interference to Aircraft Signal" pops up and I have to turn around.

Anyone experienced similar issues? Didn't even get close to the 2000m/4000m advertised on the website. I have a direct line of sight to the aircraft and there's no power lines or anything that could interfere. There's a few LTE towers in 5-6km distance.

Thanks
How were your antennas positioned?

I think these range tests achieve one thing only - confidence in normal LOS use.

I live along the coast, and routinely use my drones for whale watching, so going a few miles out of LOS is not unusual for me.

Reactions: pha
As others have said/stated. It really depends on the environment. This not only means things like Wifi but "Space" weather with things such as KpIndex. IMO, 600-800 is darn good for a Wifi based drone.

Depending on where and when I fly, the range on my MA can vary drastically. I can fly in the same location but on different days and I'll either get better or worse range. And while there is no drone immune from environmental variables, if range is really important to you, Pick up a Mavic Pro...

As others have said/stated. It really depends on the environment. This not only means things like Wifi but "Space" weather with things such as KpIndex. IMO, 600-800 is darn good for a Wifi based drone.

Depending on where and when I fly, the range on my MA can vary drastically. I can fly in the same location but on different days and I'll either get better or worse range. And while there is no drone immune from environmental variables, if range is really important to you, Pick up a Mavic Pro...

I had a Pro before, that's why I'm a bit disappointed about the 800m. I moved to a new location and wanted to try it out, but the batteries are dead and the charger fried, waiting for DJI to tell me where I can buy a new one -.-

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada