DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max distance

Hunttr

Reactions
Hey, Just curious if their are any particular settings I should be set at that would increase max flight distance for M2Z? Are their any particular settings I should avoid or sensors that should be turned off in order to get max flight distance? I am mainly concerned with just flying around with dji white goggles and not so much with taking pics/video (at least for now).I am currently only getting less then 1/2 mile before I start loosing reception to RC and goggles.This has been from my single story rooftop and flying at an altitude of 150 ft in a wooded area.Any thoughts? I guess Im just wondering how much obstruction the signal will go through if your in an area that dosen't have a lot of other interferance.THANKS

Pretty new here...but maybe the goggles have something to do with it? I took my zoom out over the mud flats at low tide and got out to 7000+ feet with no issues. After a year of flying Spark and losing signal 2500 feet out...I was ecstatic. Pushed it out to 10,000 feet and never lost signal...no parabolic antenna or any other enhancements. Sure takes a long time to come home fro 10K feet out though.
Antennas positioned properly? Notice it doesn't take much to lose signal if they aren't at the proper angle and pointed at the bird.
And yes, there is a Max Distance setting in the go4 app, but that shouldn't cause a signal loss.

Last edited:
Pretty new here...but maybe the goggles have something to do with it? I took my zoom out over the mud flats at low tide and got out to 7000+ feet with no issues. After a year of flying Spark and losing signal 2500 feet out...I was ecstatic. Pushed it out to 10,000 feet and never lost signal...no parabolic antenna or any other enhancements. Sure takes a long time to come home fro 10K feet out though.
Antennas positioned properly? Notice it doesn't take much to lose signal if they aren't at the proper angle and pointed at the bird.
And yes, there is a Max Distance setting in the go4 app, but that shouldn't cause a signal loss.
Thanks for the reply.I guess what I need to do is to fly in a differant area with no obstructions and see how it goes.Although I would like to be able to fly around in wooded areas but maybe thats just not possible.Ill also try it out without the goggles and see if it makes any differance.Ill report back.

As long as you keep it in VLOS you should be ok. If the trees are coming between you n da Bird, yeah, you will lose signal for sure. Might have to go higher in a forested area. At 150 feet, with 100 foot trees all around, I can see why signal was lost.

Obstructions arent much of an issue, unless were talking about a large solid obstruction (ie: building or mountain/hill).

What your dealing with is likely the ever frustrating Goggles/M2 range issue, Id guess, which affects Mavic 2 with either set of Goggles (and is the reason, (also a guess), that the Mavic Air 2 isnt Goggles compatible even though its a Occusync 2 product, just sayin)

Q: How is your range when flying without Goggles on/linked? If its much much better then yeah, thats your issue and theres not much you can do about it.

Some say putting it on 2.4Ghz helps and that you should start up your AC, Goggles, RC in a specific sequence but I dont recall what it is (also, if u had the RE version, adding the pagoda ant).

Ive always found it to be remarkably linked with flights in WIFI areas, even just a few residences, buildings nesrby are enough to throw it off for some reason. The only times Ive EVER gotten matching range (2mi +/-) using Goggles (mine are RE) VS without, was over Lake Michigan, taking off from a no RF area. Anywhere else, even just a few houses nearby and crap range, 1000m black/white frozen screen.

Anyway, theres lots of posts/threads about it on the forums (but Ive not found any yt videos on the topic), but first determine IF that is your problem by doing what I said above. (see Q:)

Good luck

Obstructions arent much of an issue, unless were talking about a large solid obstruction (ie: building or mountain/hill).

What your dealing with is likely the ever frustrating Goggles/M2 range issue, Id guess, which affects Mavic 2 with either set of Goggles (and is the reason, (also a guess), that the Mavic Air 2 isnt Goggles compatible even though its a Occusync 2 product, just sayin)

Q: How is your range when flying without Goggles on/linked? If its much much better then yeah, thats your issue and theres not much you can do about it.

Some say putting it on 2.4Ghz helps and that you should start up your AC, Goggles, RC in a specific sequence but I dont recall what it is (also, if u had the RE version, adding the pagoda ant).

Ive always found it to be remarkably linked with flights in WIFI areas, even just a few residences, buildings nesrby are enough to throw it off for some reason. The only times Ive EVER gotten matching range (2mi +/-) using Goggles (mine are RE) VS without, was over Lake Michigan, taking off from a no RF area. Anywhere else, even just a few houses nearby and crap range, 1000m black/white frozen screen.

Anyway, theres lots of posts/threads about it on the forums (but Ive not found any yt videos on the topic), but first determine IF that is your problem by doing what I said above. (see Q:)

Good luck
Thanks, l found those posts your talking about.I will fly without the goggles to see if it makes a differance when the weather allows.Also I re-linked the remote to the ac so that the 5.8ghz will be available to switch automatically to if needed (I read somewhere if you use the white goggles which uses only 2.4ghz then rc will be in that mode untill you re-sinc which will then allow ac to switch automaticaly to the other frequency if needed).Q: When you said you only had a range of 1000m and then the goggles screen would go blank did the rc also loose signal? In my situation the rc also lost connection and ac returned to home.

Thanks, l found those posts your talking about.I will fly without the goggles to see if it makes a differance when the weather allows.Also I re-linked the remote to the ac so that the 5.8ghz will be available to switch automatically to if needed (I read somewhere if you use the white goggles which uses only 2.4ghz then rc will be in that mode untill you re-sinc which will then allow ac to switch automaticaly to the other frequency if needed).Q: When you said you only had a range of 1000m and then the goggles screen would go blank did the rc also loose signal? In my situation the rc also lost connection and ac returned to home.
Ok so I just flew the same root w/o goggles.Lost reseption around the same distance that I did with the goggles.So that pretty much tells me that I am loosing reception do to obstructions and/or interferance and has nothing to do with the goggles.It is a residencial area.I hope that its more an interferance issue and not as much a obstical obstruction issue.That way if it is maybe I can still fly in a less populated area amongst the trees a little bit.Sure did miss flying with goggles! They spoiled me.

Reactions: jzilla80
An update.Just flew in an area without houses and obstruction.Every thing worked great and the limiting factor apeared to be the battery.It was a little windy so only went about 1 1/2 miles but their was no indication of any loss in signal.

An update.Just flew in an area without houses and obstruction.Every thing worked great and the limiting factor apeared to be the battery.It was a little windy so only went about 1 1/2 miles but their was no indication of any loss in signal.
Good to hear. Guess it was the trees? If you want to fly over forests, taking it higher would increase your range.

Strange, but Im very glad that your not experiencing the Goggles range issue, that many of us faced!

I still think DJI needs to go "back to the basics" (ie: not basic at all) and refine their occusync rf interference algorithms. I just cant dismiss the fact that the only flights I had where my battery life was the turning factor and not signal loss, was in rf deadzone (over lake mich).

Good job testing your situation out. Try and find higher ground to launch from (apologies if you found that obvious), even if its a bit further away from your target location.

Good luck

Now you could try the goggles in the open area and see where they drop off.

Trees will certainly eat 2.4 and 5.8ghz RF signals.

From my 3rd floor rooftop I routinely fly 5000ft away at altitude of 50-100ft (no obstructing buildings higher than my roof for the most part). I can also take it out to 10k ft by increasing altitude to 100+ at which point it gets sketchy. But that is plenty far for me. Note- I am overseas so it defaults to CE vs FCC :(

Strange, but Im very glad that your not experiencing the Goggles range issue, that many of us faced!

I still think DJI needs to go "back to the basics" (ie: not basic at all) and refine their occusync rf interference algorithms. I just cant dismiss the fact that the only flights I had where my battery life was the turning factor and not signal loss, was in rf deadzone (over lake mich).

Good job testing your situation out. Try and find higher ground to launch from (apologies if you found that obvious), even if its a bit further away from your target location.

Good luck
Yes I make just about all my flights from the highest elivation I can and without trees directly in front of me.Some sort of a clearance at a relativly high area in a non-residencial area works great for me if I want to go for a long distance.I can usually drop down to around tree level but not below tree leavel or I will start to loose signal.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy