DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max safe wind speed MP

MavicDelight

Reactions
Greetings from Australia,

I have a MP and use it for still photography - what is a safe max wind speed to fly my MP in?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Happy Flying.

Reactions: Grumpy Digger
Safe around the 25KM/H

DJI recommends not flying in wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s (22 MPH).

You should also pay attention to the direction the wind is blowing. If you're flying into a headwind on the way back to the home point, it's going to take more battery power to get home when the wind is stronger.

^^ what msinger said (22mph = 35km/h)

For the most part the AC will hold steady enough to capture most still pictures in low-moderate winds.

Personally I wouldn't fly when wind gusts exceed 40km/h myself. That then leans to an average windspeed being around the 30-35km/h range or less.
But I have a Mavic Air, and it's footprint is somewhat smaller than the fully fledged Mavic, of which by design should be more stable in-flight than the smaller Air.

If you're talking safety in regards to ensuring your Mavic can get back home to you, I'd be generalising the advertised top speed of the Mavic then take 20-30km/h off that to ensure it can overcome a headwind to return home.
Also in those circumstances allow plenty of battery to be consumed battling headwinds etc. Eg, if you used 50% out with a tailwind, the last 50% won't get your AC back home. That also depends on the distance required to be recovered to return home too etc..
Reducing altitude for the return home may save you too, being in the lower wind profile were it is slower closer to the ground.

A lot of factors to determine what is "safe", depending on the situation/circumstances.

when deciding to fly in strong winds it is really a question of how urgent it is for you to get a particular shot ,and you need to balance that against the chances of damaging your drone, its a judgment call that needs to be made before you commit your drone to the wide blue yonder, as others have said there are many factors that influence the outcome

Reactions: CyrusBlack
Return in a head wind... A few week ago someone reported they lost their drone. It was determined their was enough head wind resulting in quicker battery drain.

Reactions: DDS
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s