DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum rotor speed reached...

erkme73

Reactions
This was a new one for me today. I flew to about -800' elevation (was on a cliff edge, and flew down to the river below). When I got near the bottom, I tilted the camera up to the max, aiming it back at my position and then, in sport mode, went full throttle (left stick forward) and full forward (right stick forward). About 1/4 of the way up, I received a flashing warning several times "Maximum rotor speed reached" - or something similar to that. I glanced at the RPM on the RC, and it was bouncing around between 8500 and 9500ish. I immediately released both sticks, and tried again. Each time it ramped back up to nearly 10k RPM I'd get that warning. The winds at my position were not strong - though they may have been where the MP was flying. Yet, I had no high wind warnings.

According to the flight log replay, I reached about 40 MPH forward speed, and 16 MPH vertical speed at the time I released the sticks. The app DID NOT log the max rotor speed warning.

Has anyone else seen this before? I'm just wondering if this is a benign warning, or an indication that there is something wrong with the MP, or the way I'm flying.

This was a new one for me today. I flew to about -800' elevation (was on a cliff edge, and flew down to the river below). When I got near the bottom, I tilted the camera up to the max, aiming it back at my position and then, in sport mode, went full throttle (left stick forward) and full forward (right stick forward). About 1/4 of the way up, I received a flashing warning several times "Maximum rotor speed reached" - or something similar to that. I glanced at the RPM on the RC, and it was bouncing around between 8500 and 9500ish. I immediately released both sticks, and tried again. Each time it ramped back up to nearly 10k RPM I'd get that warning. The winds at my position were not strong - though they may have been where the MP was flying. Yet, I had no high wind warnings.

According to the flight log replay, I reached about 40 MPH forward speed, and 16 MPH vertical speed at the time I released the sticks. The app DID NOT log the max rotor speed warning.

Has anyone else seen this before? I'm just wondering if this is a benign warning, or an indication that there is something wrong with the MP, or the way I'm flying.
Must be contagious. Take a look at
"Max motor speed reached" Warning
I had the Max Motor Speed warning once on one of my first flights. Haven't had it since even though I've flown it several times in Sport mode max throttle and max elevator. (Trying to duplicate the noisy back compass issue). I don't think it's something to worry about. Unless it starts happening routinely.

@cheferlix1

Well, it happened to me again today, when I put the sticks up to the top and got the max RPM.
Don't know why there isn´t an internal setting to limit this RPM when we forced the sticks to the end.

Chek your propelers.. propeler on motor that going to 10k rpm has no good drag force anymore.. maybe is bend somehow in oposite direction.. its not to much because you got warnings only in full trothle in sport mode.

..be fRee and fLy..

Must be contagious. Take a look at
"Max motor speed reached" Warning
I had the Max Motor Speed warning once on one of my first flights. Haven't had it since even though I've flown it several times in Sport mode max throttle and max elevator. (Trying to duplicate the noisy back compass issue). I don't think it's something to worry about. Unless it starts happening routinely.

@cheferlix1

Woops... I hate when people create duplicate threads. The problem was I didn't take note of the exact wording of the error - and read "rotor speed" instead of motor speed. Funny how the search engine here searched for what I said, and not what I meant...

Good to know I'm not the only one. I imagine it must have been some combination of odd winds coming up the bluff and the full stick inputs.

Mods - feel free to merge or delete my thread.

Chek your propelers.. propeler on motor that going to 10k rpm has no good drag force anymore.. maybe is bend somehow in oposite direction.. its not to much because you got warnings only in full trothle in sport mode.

..be fRee and fLy..
I just find a gash on a propeller. Probably is related to my warning. Thanks!

Reactions: temptation
It would be interesting to see if that prop was having to turn faster. The motor data in the .DAT file would show that. Would it be possible for you to retrieve the .DAT for a flight where you get the Max Rotor Speed error? The .DAT is on the Mavic itself, not on the tablet. To see how to retrieve it look here. It'll be large so you'll need to Dropbox it and post a link.

Reactions: Oscarjr808
It would be interesting to see if that prop was having to turn faster. The motor data in the .DAT file would show that. Would it be possible for you to retrieve the .DAT for a flight where you get the Max Rotor Speed error? The .DAT is on the Mavic itself, not on the tablet. To see how to retrieve it look here. It'll be large so you'll need to Dropbox it and post a link.
I can´t dropbox it right now, but i can send you a screenshot on the datcon app if you tell me what variable i have to add to the graph.

This message is just a warning and can be ignored. The only time it has real relevance is if you are flying near the altitude limits, like over 16,000 feet. It would alert you that there is no more elevator force to be had. It there is not enough lift, you'll get no more as the Motor is already at max RPM.

Edit: Well there is one exception to my statement. If you have prop damage, the message could be displayed prematurely. The mavic will fly even if you cut the props in half. The prop would have to spin at a much higher RPM to induce lift. This could make that max Motor speed message come up, even for mild elevator, roll, and pitch changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy
I can´t dropbox it right now, but i can send you a screenshot on the datcon app if you tell me what variable i have to add to the graph.
I'm assuming you mean CsvView instead of DatCon.

After loading the .DAT you can provide the .csv it produces. Go to the MenuBar and File->Export Workspace. That will produce a .zip containing that .csv which can then be attached to a post here.

In the SigPlayers panel select the Motor Speeds SigPlayer. If you want to present that SigPlayer here it's not necessary to do a screen capture. Instead, left mouse click the "Copy To System Clipboard" button at the top of the SigPlayer and then do a ctrl-V in a post you're editing.

You might want to look at motor PWM signals which, essentially, is the motor speed that is being commanded. The easiest way is to start an Empty SigPlayer and then add signals via the "Add/Remove Signals" button at the top of the SigPlayer.

I'm glad you guys pointed this out. Just the other day I had a very hard Landing when I forgot to turn on my downward VPS. I initially inspected the blades and they looked fine, but now as a result of this warning, I actually removed them from each of the motors and I found one had two of the three tabs broken off. Another blade had a slight crack in it that only showed when I flexed the blade.

If it hadn't been for this warning, and the suggestions here to inspect the blades even more carefully, I may very well have lost my bird. Thank you all.

Reactions: BudWalker
I'm assuming you mean CsvView instead of DatCon.

After loading the .DAT you can provide the .csv it produces. Go to the MenuBar and File->Export Workspace. That will produce a .zip containing that .csv which can then be attached to a post here.

In the SigPlayers panel select the Motor Speeds SigPlayer. If you want to present that SigPlayer here it's not necessary to do a screen capture. Instead, left mouse click the "Copy To System Clipboard" button at the top of the SigPlayer and then do a ctrl-V in a post you're editing.

You might want to look at motor PWM signals which, essentially, is the motor speed that is being commanded. The easiest way is to start an Empty SigPlayer and then add signals via the "Add/Remove Signals" button at the top of the SigPlayer.
Didn,t work the ctrl-V here but im attaching the file.

Today i flew with new propeller (the broken one) bust i had the same warning when i put the sticks to the max.

Here is the past flight with the bottom-right broken (gash) propeller. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 16.22.43.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 16.22.43.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 44
  • mavic propeller broke.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 9

Today i flew with new propeller (the broken one) bust i had the same warning when i put the sticks to the max.

I've already explained this to you. It is simply a notification/warning. You will hit the max motor speed in extreme conditions. Here are some ways to reach this message:

- Flying high altitude where the motors must spin faster for lift

- Flying with broken propellers that are less efficient

- Flying with max pitch, max elevator, and into the wind . The Mavic will expect a certain delta in altitude and speed with stick inputs and will raise the motor speed to achieve it. It can only raise the motor speed up to a maximum. In extreme conditions you can hit the max BEFORE Mavic reaches what it deems as expected stick response. In reality you are not flying the Mavic. The Mavic flies itself and you are suggesting to the Mavic with stick inputs where it should go.

Reactions: Kilrah
I've already explained this to you. It is simply a notification/warning. You will hit the max motor speed in extreme conditions. Here are some ways to reach this message:

- Flying high altitude where the motors must spin faster for lift

- Flying with broken propellers that are less efficient

- Flying with max pitch, max elevator, and into the wind . The Mavic will expect a certain delta in altitude and speed with stick inputs and will raise the motor speed to achieve it. It can only raise the motor speed up to a maximum. In extreme conditions you can hit the max BEFORE Mavic reaches what it deems as expected stick response. In reality you are not flying the Mavic. The Mavic flies itself and you are suggesting to the Mavic with stick inputs where it should go.
Yeah I got it. I just wanted to check that the warning wasn't just because of the broken propelled. Thanks!

The takeaway for me, is that if you see that warning, stop what you're doing and carefully inspect all of your blades. That means remove them from the motor and look at the underside to make sure none of the tabs are broken. I've been flying since November, and I've never seen this warning until I had broken or damaged blades. And I have flown with Full Throttle full elevator in 40 plus mile-an-hour wind, where even in sport mode I was barely making any Headway. And even in those conditions I had no Max rotor speed warning.

[

I see you're using a Mac. Maybe the parlance isn't ctrl-V but something else. I'm assuming you used the "Copy To System Clipboard" first.

I looked at you .csv and couldn't see anything unusual. It'd help if you knew the time when you got the warning. Do you have the .txt for the flight and can you attach that to a post. It doesn't have to be zipped first since it's a .txt. Maybe the warning is in the .txt and we can get the time from that.

@CyberNate these warnings are not the usual. This flight took place at 93 meters altitude. I fly at my location all the time at 483 meters, Sport mode, full throttle, full elevator. I only got one of these warnings right after I got my Mavic. Normal behavior should be to limit motor speeds and then issue some other kind of warning if it thinks there is an inconsistency between observed and predicted speed. With a headwind it doesn't just keep raising motor speeds to achieve a ground speed. It'll issue a high wind warning first and limit motor speeds.

I did compare the flight against one of mine. In the interval 510 to 610 secs the pitch was around -31 degrees and both back motors were around 9000. (Airspeed is determined by pitch). This matches the values seen by my Mavic. If there was an issue with the right back you expect these two values to be different.
upload_2017-2-24_12-21-54.png

upload_2017-2-24_12-22-11.png

The takeaway for me, is that if you see that warning, stop what you're doing and carefully inspect all of your blades. That means remove them from the motor and look at the underside to make sure none of the tabs are broken. I've been flying since November, and I've never seen this warning until I had broken or damaged blades. And I have flown with Full Throttle full elevator in 40 plus mile-an-hour wind, where even in sport mode I was barely making any Headway. And even in those conditions I had no Max rotor speed warning.

Yes, it is always a good idea to check your props. There are a lot of limits and variables to the Mavic. In those extreme conditions I often hit the max motor speed limit or the battery current limit. The direction of the wind also matters, which can potentially drive one motor to the max while others are not. It is possible that the warning is that one motor is working harder than the others and reaching Max RPM. I often get those warnings in sports mode and a good wind.

[

I see you're using a Mac. Maybe the parlance isn't ctrl-V but something else. I'm assuming you used the "Copy To System Clipboard" first.

I looked at you .csv and couldn't see anything unusual. It'd help if you knew the time when you got the warning. Do you have the .txt for the flight and can you attach that to a post. It doesn't have to be zipped first since it's a .txt. Maybe the warning is in the .txt and we can get the time from that.

@CyberNate these warnings are not the usual. This flight took place at 93 meters altitude. I fly at my location all the time at 483 meters, Sport mode, full throttle, full elevator. I only got one of these warnings right after I got my Mavic. Normal behavior should be to limit motor speeds and then issue some other kind of warning if it thinks there is an inconsistency between observed and predicted speed. With a headwind it doesn't just keep raising motor speeds to achieve a ground speed. It'll issue a high wind warning first and limit motor speeds.

I did compare the flight against one of mine. In the interval 510 to 610 secs the pitch was around -31 degrees and both back motors were around 9000. (Airspeed is determined by pitch). This matches the values seen by my Mavic. If there was an issue with the right back you expect these two values to be different.
View attachment 7051

View attachment 7052

One would need to read the code to be sure without some detailed white paper. If you find some aberration in the data that corresponds to the warning, let us know. If they provided source code, I would check the algorithm directly.

[

View attachment 7051

View attachment 7052
Hi Bud,

Here is the txt. but i have never find the big warnings (Strong winds, motor overload, etc) on the logs.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-23_[12-54-29].txt
    898.4 KB · Views: 9

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3