DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum starting altitude like 10000 feet(2500M)

toter

Reactions
Can I take this to the mountains to eg 10000 feet and expect the Mavic Pro to hover and fly. What is the maximum altitude it has been flown and does the specs refer to this altitude. The density of the air decreases the higher you go. All prop driven planes are limited. This drone has to be limited. Can any one give me this number. It has to impact the flight time because the motors have to turn faster to maintain the same thrust. A high altitude kit would include higher pitch folding props. I dont see anything like this available.

I just read max altitude is 1640ft above sea level. That cant be right. What about all the views of guys climbing mountains, skiing with the drove following behind or talking photos on top of ski slopes

Can I take this to the mountains to eg 10000 feet and expect the Mavic Pro to hover and fly. What is the maximum altitude it has been flown and does the specs refer to this altitude. The density of the air decreases the higher you go. All prop driven planes are limited. This drone has to be limited. Can any one give me this number. It has to impact the flight time because the motors have to turn faster to maintain the same thrust. A high altitude kit would include higher pitch folding props. I dont see anything like this available.

I just read max altitude is 1640ft above sea level. That cant be right. What about all the views of guys climbing mountains, skiing with the drove following behind or talking photos on top of ski slopes
The maximum altitude it can handle is 5000m

Last edited:

I have had it on a couple of Colorado's 14,000' with no issue. Manual states 5000m.

You're missing a zero in there. It's more like 16,400ft.

Reactions: Bunny Too
You're missing a zero in there. It's more like 16,400ft.
No, that's actually the software imposed max altitude you can set. 1640ft = 500m. The drone won't ever let you fly higher than that from the takeoff location.

The drone itself has a technical limit of 5000m.

Reactions: mikeharmon18
No, that's actually the software imposed max altitude you can set. 1640ft = 500m. The drone won't ever let you fly higher than that from the takeoff location.

The drone itself has a technical limit of 5000m.

5000m is 16,400ft.

You've flown, 140k feet high? Isn't that the near the outer atmosphere?
Not over the mountains it isnt. I dont know what your background is but the WW2 B29 flew at 30000 ft. It was heated and pressurized.Jets can go much higher

Not over the mountains it isnt. I dont know what your background is but the WW2 B29 flew at 30000 ft. It was heated and pressurized.Jets can go much higher
My background is Electrical Engineering and Software Engineering. I'm no geology expert. But 140k' is pretty far up.

Reactions: Anthony Viscomi
Indeed, but just pointing out that the limit he mentioned is the one imposed by the software. It's the absolute limit from takeoff the software will allow.
I will never go that high. But I feel a lot more comfortable using it at 10000 feet. Thanks

I did a 12k ft takeoff without any problem. Just be aware of high winds because the drone will have a hard time hoveringScreenshot_20170628-150639.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54