DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Measuring local wind pressure

Maserati

Reactions
Looking for a solution for measuring and mapping vaiations in local wind pressure using drones. Any ideas? thanks

Looking for a solution for measuring and mapping vaiations in local wind pressure using drones. Any ideas? thanks
I suppose you could attach an anemometer to a drone.
A28C4A74-3D56-4D04-B76A-EFB104D35AC7.png

You could also fly the drone where ever you want to measure, hover for a bit and then download the log file afterward which will have a wind coeffient curve and a GPS location associated with each value. How accurate that is and how to convert that coeffient to mph or kph I don’t know.

Also you do know that NOAA already maps wind out for the entire earth right? 68287

This won’t account for the way buildings and the landscape affects the wind on the ground of course, however.

Reactions: Rich55

The Taylor turbine-type anemometers may not work as you have to have them pointed remotely and directly into the wind to measure the windspeed correctly- a horizontally mounted rotor works reguardless of wind direction. If you need micro measurements of wind, then a ultrasonic meter would work:

Last edited:

The Taylor turbine-type anemometers may not work as you have to have them pointed remotely and directly into the wind to measure the windspeed correctly- a horizontally mounted rotor works reguardless of wind direction. If you need micro measurements of wind, then a ultrasonic meter would work:
One slight problem with that is the effect of the downdraft created by the 4 propellers ??

Good points!

So you’ve got me interested in this project, what exactly are you doing? I looked into this a little bit more and may have found a solution if you need good data and want to monitor it real time, this unit will remotely measure wind speed from any direction and temperature, and will wirelessly send it to you on the ground from as far as 400 m away. It’s Small enough that you can mounted on top of a Mavic drone, and costs approximately $700 US inluding shipping.

You will have to record the temperature and wind speed yourself, but you’ll also be able to record where and how high off the ground it is by looking at your drone remote control While you are hovering to get your wind speed measurement. I really am curious about your project, can you explain it a little bit?

Here’s the link to the spec sheet and contact for the anemometer:

Here’s an interesting analysis of the methods. I used to do environmental analysis work and am really interested in this type of stuff, too!

I would love to get a government grant to dissect this paper. I wasted so much time in higher education going to classes that I thought were so boring this would have been much more interesting than determining the mating habits of bull frogs.

I would love to get a government grant to dissect this paper. I wasted so much time in higher education going to classes that I thought were so boring this would have been much more interesting than determining the mating habits of bull frogs.

Hey! I used to teach that class! :(. But mine were better as I showed the videos! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Rich55
The boundary condition drone is fixed. That means energy possession is fixed and weight is fixed. Payloading relative velocity indication instrumentation will load drone. Maybe better to rely on drone's attitude to grasp relative velocity. Ive noticed marked speed bursts when drone fights headwind (nonsport). So craft is aware.

That’s what said! How accurate do you those are?
The norm of acceptable error is plus minus five percentile. For flight control and navigation youd think greater precision than five. Its using gps, propulsion energies, to figure out how to either overcome or benefit from the local encountered gusting

If you mean wind speed, the aircraft already computes that continuously during flight, as does the AirData website.

I think he needs microhabitat quantitative wind measurements though, and yes- it can be fairly well estimated using a drone by its flight characteristics as mentioned in the paper I posted. Airdata does not record that information at different levels on a localized scale.

I think he needs microhabitat quantitative wind measurements though, and yes- it can be fairly well estimated using a drone by its flight characteristics as mentioned in the paper I posted. Airdata does not record that information at different levels on a localized scale.

AirData does calculate those data throughout the flight wherever there is sufficiently stable flight or hover to have confidence in the calculation.

Reactions: AMann
AirData does calculate those data throughout the flight wherever there is sufficiently stable flight or hover to have confidence in the calculation.

My mistake! I thought it was web based - havent used it so what do I know? I thought it was like UAV Forcast.

Does it tag the readings with elevation and position?

Can you post a sample output from the wind data?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60