DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mech Error - loss of control

hahaha578

Reactions
Posted this in another thread but figured it would be better to aggregate in one place. On my very first flight indoors, the Mavic was in ATTI mode. Upon takeoff, it didn't even attempt to hover. When taking off I was pointed northeast in the room and it shot back southwest descending. I was first thinking that it was due to ATTI mode, but now believe it was because of a calibration issue with the controller. Left stick is stuck at 4% down, hence the loss of elevation. Right stick varies from being stuck at ~12-14% down causing it to take off in reverse. Lost my props and now controller is stuck in 'Mech Error' after trying to calibrate. Support's only advice? 'Use a different device. Reinstall the app. R&D is working on it' This is really disappointing.

What kind of device were you using?

Are we slowly starting to see a trend? Control sticks stuck in a non-neutral position even though mechanically they are in the upright position without pilot input.

Hmmm. Probably too early to tell if this will be a significant chink in the Mavic Pro's armor.

That's an interesting suggestion from DJI support. That is most definitely a device supported by DJI.

When I recalibrated my rc after firmware update, it took several times… first takeoff was like yours, had to use phone, Go app, to land because no control on Remote Control. Recalibrated again, filled in all lines on recalibration screen, etc, then took off.. Mavic would only fly backwards and to one side, so I landed quickly and did another recalibration. This time I went very slowly and carefully, and it worked! So my advice is to try again very slowly. The recalibration is different from the P4 and Inspires, and was very aggravating for me.

Last edited:
Force Close the App. Power off the Iphone 7 Plus and the controller / Mavic. Power on the Iphone 7 Plus.
Remove the DJI App. Reinstall the DJI App from a fresh download.

Turn on Controller and launch DJI App. Are you then able to get into Calibration mode to view the input or lack there of within the Calibration mode?

YES- Calibrate and view input from sticks
NO- You're Hosed - RMA and send back

In the following DJI forum post, a few people said they kept repeating the remote controller calibration until the error finally went away:

DJI Mavic Controller MECH ERR

Force Close the App. Power off the Iphone 7 Plus and the controller / Mavic. Power on the Iphone 7 Plus.
Remove the DJI App. Reinstall the DJI App from a fresh download.

Turn on Controller and launch DJI App. Are you then able to get into Calibration mode to view the input or lack there of within the Calibration mode?

YES- Calibrate and view input from sticks
NO- You're Hosed - RMA and send back

When I was calibrating before, it always finished with left down 4% and right down between 12-14%. Trying your recommendation ow.

I hear you. Everyone in that thread said that's what fixed it for them though.

When I was calibrating before, it always finished with left down 4% and right down between 12-14%. Trying your recommendation ow.

Holy smokes! Seems eerily similar to what this guy experienced
Mavic Crash

except he was at altitude and flying outside . At first blush it was suspected that it was a compass calibration issue. Then as more details became available control stick calibration and lack of response rose to the forefront.

Last edited:
Also I can never get to 100% up on the right when calibrating, it stays at 98-99%. Attached is a screenshot of the finished calibration showing how off it still is.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.PNG
    IMG_0119.PNG
    920.7 KB · Views: 108
Try first suggestion . Then if in the same situation. Take a can of compressed air and direct the air stream down into the area where the control sticks meet the controller body.
If the internal sensors are optical there may be dirt , grit, foreign matter deposited during production that interfere.

Do not invert the can of compressed air as the propellant will be emitted from the can and you want just the air. Also shake the controller , but dont drop it :)
Listen for any dislodged parts inside. May be very small particulant matter obstructing.

Last edited:
Reactions: dewster
That sucks ! Well I guess all those people waiting for the Mavic Pro (myself included) fail to realize that things could be worse than just waiting for these new birds. They (I) could be in a similar position to yourself.

Looks like only option at this point is DJI RMA process.

Reactions: sonof40
That sucks ! Well I guess all those people waiting for the Mavic Pro (myself included) fail to realize that things could be worse than just waiting for these new birds. They (I) could be in a similar position to yourself.

Looks like only option at this point is DJI RMA process.

Tears of sadness.

I don't own a Mavic yet.
But I do know that a lot of people don't read or understand the instructions when calibrating.
I recall on the P2 range (using the primitive phantom assist), the moment you hit calibrate, the readings will be off centre showing its true readings (potentiometers are never perfect). What you then need to do is move the sticks slowly around to all the corners so the software can then know the max positions and it will then average out where dead centre is. Some people didn't hit apply so it never registered the new calibration. Are people not reading the instructions correctly or is it clearly a hardware issue??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters