DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Memory cards in controller and Mavic 2

Searat290

Reactions
Hi, trying to wrap my brain around image storage in Mavic 2 and smart controller. Is there any reason to have a card in both? Like for redundancy, or to lessen the need to transfer or sync up. (I understand these terms, but not exactly how they all go together with this equipment). I did format and insert cards in both, but could not get video on the controller at startup. Removed both cards and all was well. Put one back into only the controller and still ok. Image transferring and caching to card work fine in controller. So, back to main question: is there any value to having a card in both, and is it even possible?

Reactions: Coltfly1
For me the main reason having the memory card in both is the “Go Share” option because i can transfer full quaility photos and video from SC to smartphone via direct wifi.

So, you need an SD card in your M2 to get the fullest out of its shooting ability and quality, as the write speed over the air is not sustainable, that why cached video renders in 720p. Also I dont believe you can cache video to SC unless your recording to the M2s storage, whether that be the SD card or the M2 8GB internal?

The SC has internal memory, of course, but not much, so an SD card in the SC can be used as its default storage location, which is selectable in the SC menu, after the card has been installed in the SC and it must be formatted.
It really just makes for more default storage space on your SC.

Unfortunately, other than using Go share, as someone mentioned, there is no way to wirelessly transfer your highest quality, over 1080p, from M2 SD card to the SC's storage, whether it be internal memory or SD card (via Go4 file viewer, you can transfer up to 1080p video though) so your left with the video caching function, in Go4 in order to get real-time video shot on your M2 and stored to your M2 SD card, to also save to your SC default storage, however, that video will only be 720p.

I do alot of screen recording, so I chose to add a 128GB SD card to the SC. After selecting it as SCs default storage, now everything saves to it, the DJI logs, the Screen Recording, etc. I believe if you used Go Share to wirelessly transfer your over 1080p video, it will also store to your selected SC default storage, so it all comes down to how much and how long you will be keeping files on your SC.

I keep alot on the SC and do one lump transfer via PC about once a month or so, but if your transfering to your SC then offboard to a HDD or a PC, in the same week or so, then No you really dont need an SC SD card, but DJI did do something somewhat unique as far as android OS' go, by allowing an SD card to be read as default storage, so IF you make your SCs SD card your default, dont forget that in Go4, your options will be flip-flopped, I think, so if you choose to save cached video to SD card, then itll save to internal and vice-versa (test this out yourself as they mayve changed it or I may be wrong?)

One last addition as I'm not sure what you meant when you stated that you formatted both cards, then installed them. Im not sure if you formatted them outside of the M2 and/or SC (like in a PC or another digital camera?) so Id like to recommend that you format both cards in the device for which they will be used. ie; Format the M2 SD card, in the M2 and format via Go4. Same with SC if you keep one in there. The file systems are slightly different that those in PC's or other devices, plus its just good practice anyway. Sorry if thats what you already did.
You may get strange occurances or corruption if your attempting to use SD cards in multiple devices. I learned this the hard way long ago and now have 3 older SD cards that I cant even format, partition, or even write zeros to, all because of 3 bad sectors.

Good luck & Hope this helped some...

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the in depth info. Whew! It will be a while before I am at your level of understanding! I formatted the card for the sc in the sc. I formatted the card for the m2p in the m2p, but i wasn’t convinced it worked as there was no confirmation. I’ll try formatting the card for the m2p in the sc. I AM wanting the end result at the max available resolution for when these videos are enjoyed on a large 4K tv which has HDR. HDR is the next hurdle, as I understand the Mavic can produce it. Not sure if that is only for stills or for videos as well, that would be awesome.

Thanks so much for the in depth info. Whew! It will be a while before I am at your level of understanding! I formatted the card for the sc in the sc. I formatted the card for the m2p in the m2p, but i wasn’t convinced it worked as there was no confirmation. I’ll try formatting the card for the m2p in the sc. I AM wanting the end result at the max available resolution for when these videos are enjoyed on a large 4K tv which has HDR. HDR is the next hurdle, as I understand the Mavic can produce it. Not sure if that is only for stills or for videos as well, that would be awesome.
I only use an SD card in my M2P. I use 32 and 64 Gb cards. I change the card when I change batteries on the drone. I save images in jpeg+RAW (DlogM). I save video in 4K unles shooting hyperlapse. Once home I dL from my card reader to my designated folder. Next I delete the images and videos from the card... and most important, empty the trash. Then eject the card ready for the next flight.
I don’t save the Pics and vids to either my CS or my CS..... my thought is not to use battery power for essentially no gain. Yes... on on occasion in two years I lost the imaging from a single battery flight.
Simpler than it reads!
Best of luck in your decision.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929